Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Have a dislike of Shelvey now. I was really hoping he would have been moved on for a better player. His mid to long range passing is very good, but he's just so horrific at anything defensive.

Not even the best passer at the club. Top 4 maybe.

Maybe a bit harsh. I'd say Ki is up there with him, Schar as well but I'm not sure who else would be in the conversation.

Ki is a good passer?  He seems like the ultimate 'nothing player' to me.  Couldn't even tell you what he is supposed to be decent at?

Whatever people's views are on Jonjo's contribution, comments and all round ability.  His passing is outrageously good, IMO. 

Maybe a bit harsh. I'd say Ki is up there with him, Schar as well but I'm not sure who else would be in the conversation.

Ki is a good passer?  He seems like the ultimate 'nothing player' to me.  Couldn't even tell you what he is supposed to be decent at?

Whatever people's views are on Jonjo's contribution, comments and all round ability.  His passing is outrageously good, IMO. 

ki changed the entire shape of our play when he came in last season, then longstaff came in and did the same thing even better when he fucked off to the asian cup

ki changed the entire shape of our play when he came in last season, then longstaff came in and did the same thing even better when he fucked off to the asian cup

What did he do exactly, bar run around slightly more than Shelvey?

I'm not even sure I'm being sarcastic, anymore :lol:  I genuinely can't remember Ki doing anything decent, or contributing much.  Just seems like another squad player that isn't good enough, to go with the other 10-15 that we already have.

I'm not even sure I'm being sarcastic, anymore :lol:  I genuinely can't remember Ki doing anything decent, or contributing much.  Just seems like another squad player that isn't good enough, to go with the other 10-15 that we already have.

shelvey was playing the QB role and the team was very static/separated so perez & rondon were operating in isolation a lot of the time, once ki got in the team he started transitioning the play with shorter passes that encouraged other players to move up the pitch and consequently the whole team moved up leaving the forwards much less isolated

it was incredibly noticeable at the time, we looked a different team the moment he came in

tbf i see what you're saying in that he didn't bring any hollywood atttributes to things but he was a far better fit under rafa keeping things moving in the right way

shelvey was playing the QB role and the team was very static/separated so perez & rondon were operating in isolation a lot of the time, once ki got in the team he started transitioning the play with shorter passes that encouraged other players to move up the pitch and consequently the whole team moved up leaving the forwards much less isolated

it was incredibly noticeable at the time, we looked a different team the moment he came in

tbf i see what you're saying in that he didn't bring any hollywood atttributes to things but he was a far better fit under rafa keeping things moving in the right way

:thup:

Ki is hardly a world beater, but his movement is a million miles better than Shelvey or his partner in cement boots, Ginger Jack.

Ki is the definition of a nothing player like. Genuinely can't tell you anything he's particularly good at.

Shelvey, on the other, has better vision than most, and we all know how good his passing can be. Yes, he's not much of a grafter, but what he brings to the table is far more important in my opinion.

Shelvey's lack of involvement was always a frustration of mine with Rafa. One of my few frustrations with him.

Aye, that's crazy. Ki isn't flash but he's a continuity player with good intelligence. He gets the ball, gives it, keeps it moving and retains possession.

Obviously Shelvey's vision and long passing is often much better, just depends what role you need.

Guest neesy111

Ki is the definition of a nothing player like. Genuinely can't tell you anything he's particularly good at.

Shelvey, on the other, has better vision than most, and we all know how good his passing can be. Yes, he's not much of a grafter, but what he brings to the table is far more important in my opinion.

Shelvey's lack of involvement was always a frustration of mine with Rafa. One of my few frustrations with him.

So why did we start winning last season after Shelvey was dropped?

CSn0zUJ.png

Ki is brilliant at playing those short forward passes into the feet of more advanced players, which is such an underrated and often overlooked thing. It was fantastic for the team.

So many players continuously fail to attempt to even play those passes and continuously go sideways and backwards, or they just misplace them time and time again, because approaching the final third those key passes are into tighter areas.

We started winning last season when Almiron arrived.

Actually we started winning the odd game when Shelvey was replaced by Ki. Then when Almiron arrived, Longstaff and Hayden took up the central midfield roles, and that saw us winning more consistently. They added a bit more steel to the movement that Ki brought, but all of them gave more than Shelvey IMO. It was incremental improvement as the season went on.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Shelvey is a total luxury. And not a very good luxury.

Someone mentioned it earlier, his game is made completely redundant when you have two ball-playing centre-halves in Schar and Lejeune. You don't need a QB when you have centre-backs who are as gifted passers as they are

Shelvey is a total luxury. And not a very good luxury.

Someone mentioned it earlier, his game is made completely redundant when you have two ball-playing centre-halves in Schar and Lejeune. You don't need a QB when you have centre-backs who are as gifted passers as they are

That's the difference for me. I'm sure we started winning games when Lejeune came back, and Rafa had his preferred  defence. If the forward players can make their moves before the need to get the ball into the middle, it's invaluable. Especially with Rafa's disciplined approach. Still think Shelvey could be useful as a sub/plan B.

Guest neesy111

We won 6 games before Almiron arrived.  All without Shelvey funnily enough, could had been 7 if he could mark (vs Watford away).