Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Had a bit of a rant about him on Twitter when I was little more pissed earlier. Him in a 532 is impossible, he's redundant when you have 2 cb's who can pass, like Schar and Lejeune. Ki plus whoever is much better, as players run away from Shelvey knowing he's going to hoof it. When Ki has the ball players run towards him for a short pass. It just seems to work much better imo. Shelvey just drops far too deep, and leaves us a man short in attack.

This. Shelvey is fine when motivated but Ki is a much better bet. He can do most of what Shelvey offers when Shelvey is motivated but does so more responsibly. I'd go Longstaff, Hayden and Ki everytime.

It all matters not when King Saivet returns.

One of the best things about the last few seasons was that our team actually seemed likeable.  Now we've got Colback and this twat back and grandmas pillow in the dugout.

Gonna take some adjusting to.

He can fuck off with that peasant and council house shite as well.

Shown his true colours there. Twat

Came from quite a poor background as well if I remember, shows even less class.

Had a bit of a rant about him on Twitter when I was little more pissed earlier. Him in a 532 is impossible, he's redundant when you have 2 cb's who can pass, like Schar and Lejeune. Ki plus whoever is much better, as players run away from Shelvey knowing he's going to hoof it. When Ki has the ball players run towards him for a short pass. It just seems to work much better imo. Shelvey just drops far too deep, and leaves us a man short in attack.

This. Shelvey is fine when motivated but Ki is a much better bet. He can do most of what Shelvey offers when Shelvey is motivated but does so more responsibly. I'd go Longstaff, Hayden and Ki everytime.

It all matters not when King Saivet returns.

all of this, i'd sell shelvey tomorrow if we could bring in a replacement

One of the best things about the last few seasons was that our team actually seemed likeable.  Now we've got Colback and this t*** back and grandmas pillow in the dugout.

Gonna take some adjusting to.

You seem to forget that Shelvey was a regular under Rafa when fit until the second half of last season.

Not that long ago, Rafa and most of our fans were calling for him to be in the England squad and taken to the World Cup in Russia.

Agreed, shelvey is useful if you have 2/3 proper British defenders whose job it is to win the ball and play a short pass to a quarterback against a team that doesnt play the press and gives him time on the ball. Rafa knew he was a liability for a red card and generally isn't mobile enough for a midfielder so developed a team that didn't need him.

Hes one of those that people with short memories  start to rate more the less he is in the team. Pops up in a friendly with plenty of space and plays a couple of hollywoods and suddenly hes a dead cert first teamer.

People used to say our forwards weren't clever enough to make the runs for him, but last season proved they weren't the problem, as Schar and Lejeune managed to find them perfectly.

I like Shelvey, like. Good player.

I like him, I can just never figure out what to do with him.

I don’t think there’s any use for a quarterback in a modern team, the CBs should be able to play out. And he’s not mobile enough to press or play further forward.

Maybe in a midfield 3 with at least one really athletic DM.

Agreed, shelvey is useful if you have 2/3 proper British defenders whose job it is to win the ball and play a short pass to a quarterback against a team that doesnt play the press and gives him time on the ball. Rafa knew he was a liability for a red card and generally isn't mobile enough for a midfielder so developed a team that didn't need him.

Hes one of those that people with short memories  start to rate more the less he is in the team. Pops up in a friendly with plenty of space and plays a couple of hollywoods and suddenly hes a dead cert first teamer.

People used to say our forwards weren't clever enough to make the runs for him, but last season proved they weren't the problem, as Schar and Lejeune managed to find them perfectly.

Well need him when Schar and Lejeune are sold.

I can't get away with his lack of effort, it's a team game and he often lets his team down.

This. Especially in central midfield which is supposedly the engine room. The sight of him and Colback getting murdered in the 4-0 defeat against Wolves brought flashbacks of the McClaren era.

Guest chopey

I can't get away with his lack of effort, it's a team game and he often lets his team down.

This. Especially in central midfield which is supposedly the engine room. The sight of him and Colback getting murdered in the 4-0 defeat against Wolves brought flashbacks of the McClaren era.

If he's not playing in the "quarter back" role then don't play him

Shelvey is a great passer of the ball, possibly the best in the league, however because of his weaknesses he is a luxury player. I remember saying once when Jonas was here how he was good at running down the wing, but his crossing was poor/non-existent for a winger, and someone correctly pointed out that if he could cross then he would be the finished article and wouldn’t be playing for us.

I think you have to make that allowance elsewhere. For example Gayle as a striker needs 4 chances before he puts one away, Mitro was never good with his feet but better in the air. Shay Given was a good shot stopper, but couldn’t command his box or come off his line. Krul couldn’t save a header, Sels couldn’t make a save.

Shelvey needs someone ahead of him though, if he doesn’t have that or we are being pressed high up and facing our goal, then he’s ineffective. Unfortunately we aren’t very good and this happens often, and unfortunately for Shelvey that means he’s the most obvious player to not show his potential. Any time we are on the attack then Shelvey tends to have very good games. I wish people would see the context with him a bit more because he’s not as bad or as lazy as people make out.

Shelvey is a great passer of the ball, possibly the best in the league, however because of his weaknesses he is a luxury player. I remember saying once when Jonas was here how he was good at running down the wing, but his crossing was poor/non-existent for a winger, and someone correctly pointed out that if he could cross then he would be the finished article and wouldn’t be playing for us.

I think you have to make that allowance elsewhere. For example Gayle as a striker needs 4 chances before he puts one away, Mitro was never good with his feet but better in the air. Shay Given was a good shot stopper, but couldn’t command his box or come off his line. Krul couldn’t save a header, Sels couldn’t make a save.

Shelvey needs someone ahead of him though, if he doesn’t have that or we are being pressed high up and facing our goal, then he’s ineffective. Unfortunately we aren’t very good and this happens often, and unfortunately for Shelvey that means he’s the most obvious player to not show his potential. Any time we are on the attack then Shelvey tends to have very good games. I wish people would see the context with him a bit more because he’s not as bad or as lazy as people make out.

I think he's a great player to have on the bench. If we're losing and the other team are sitting back he'll get the space he needs to oprate in, likewise if we are winning and the other team are pushing their midfield up for an equaliser.

I also think people are harsh on him. The first time he was picked up for his hands on his knees was after he had just ran the length of the pitch to support our forward, the fact he got back as far as he did was impressive. And now he does the same ting in our first pre-season friendly? You just know most o the people complaining about this couldn't run to the end of their garden path, in peak condition.

He genuinely looks fucked every game. As a professional athlete, the bare minimum is being a fucking athlete.

He's not the only player to fail to do two lengths of the pitch at the end of 90 mins. Fuck sake Cabaye could barely complete 60 mins.

He's too much of a luxury for a team at the bottom. Would look miles better in a better team where opposition sit deeper and give him space. He's not got the engine to play for a struggling side at all.

He's too much of a luxury for a team at the bottom. Would look miles better in a better team where opposition sit deeper and give him space. He's not got the engine to play for a struggling side at all.

Or when they are pushing on, behind him. He's the perfect (maybe not perfect, but good) sub to bring on whether a goal up or a goal down.

I cant believe you've said that give your head a fucking shake man