Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

‘“You pick things up and you read things and I just think they need to get off the gaffer's back. He's come in here and he's doing a good job. It's enjoyable to work with him. I got dropped the other day. You're disappointed but the day after, you're doing a session that just totally makes you forget.“

:lol:

Jonjo’s moving up the list

It's never been about lazyness with Shelvey imo. There are occaisions when he is bone idle (Wolves at home) but he's limited in his ability to get around the pitch. He hasnt got the engine or stamina for the PL. Cant get around the pitch, can't tackle and isnt positionally great. A lot of the time that doesnt matter if you're able to control the game. Pirlo, Scholes, Carrick etc were never great in that respect but Shelvey simply doesnt have the ability make up for his lack of physical prowess. He's cant dictate the tempo, he isnt the type to run the game. He's simply isnt good enough.

He's got an eye for a killer pass and thats about it. Now and again he'll absolutely run the show but its often against weaker sides and it's just not often enough for him to be starting all the time or build a team around him. Liverpool let him go, Swansea were happy enough to get rid and Rafa didnt fancy him. That alone tells you all you need to know.

How do modern players still not realise when they're working with quality managers?!!

I worked for some absolute dickheads but even I can recognise the value they've added to the company.

Some of the subsequent comments post Rafa have been a disgrace.

How do modern players still not realise when they're working with quality managers?!!

I worked for some absolute dickheads but even I can recognise the value they've added to the company.

How do modern posters on this forum still not realise that players will never come out and slag off their manager and paymasters (apart from very extreme circumstances when things have totally broken down)?!!

I worked for some absolute dickheads but even I can recognise I'd be in the s*** and get sacked (fined / frozen out) if I slagged them off in public and in the press.

Some of the subsequent post Rafa understanding of how football and world works have been a disgrace.

How do modern posters on this forum still not realise that players will never come out and slag off their manager and paymasters (apart from very extreme circumstances when things have totally broken down)?!!

I worked for some absolute dickheads but even I can recognise I'd be in the s*** and get sacked (fined / frozen out) if I slagged them off in public and in the press.

Some of the subsequent post Rafa understanding of how football and world works have been a disgrace.

Yes Greg, I want players to come out and praise Rafa whilst slagging off Bruce and Ashley. That is exactly the point I was making. :rolleyes:

I accept the players presenting a unified front and praising the current management; that's standard PR, as sickening as it is. I do not however, understand the sly digs at Rafa and the only reason I can give for this is they are happier without Rafa, which, if that is the case leads me to my point about them not being able to recognise quality in management.

You've made a nothing point there.

Yes Greg, I want players to come out and praise Rafa whilst slagging off Bruce and Ashley. That is exactly the point I was making. :rolleyes:

I accept the players presenting a unified front and praising the current management; that's standard PR, as sickening as it is. I do not however, understand the sly digs at Rafa and the only reason I can give for this is they are happier without Rafa, which, if that is the case leads me to my point about them not being able to recognise quality in management.

You’ll have to point me in the direction of “sly digs at Rafa”?

You’ll have to point me in the direction of “sly digs at Rafa”?

Isaac Hayden: Under previous managers we'd have been more negative, but today we had a go at them.

He's only played under one previous manager.

• 2 weeks later...

Hugo Viana or Jonjo Shelvey?

Different players but neither good enough. Weird that the former is remembered fondly by some. He was shite.

I think it's because most people could see that there was real quality in Viana, but when you put a rather slow, non-dribbling, weak, young central midfielder on the wing you can't expect much. I still think he would have been a great player for us, and probably eventually a bigger club, if he had been eased in, developed and used in his natural position.