Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

We shouldn't be surprised that some of the players will prefer lenience over Rafa's strictness and work ethic.

They may even play with more freedom for 5-6 games until the pressure of losing gets to them and Bruce. Then the whole thing will go steadily downhill.

Rafa had him sussed and would've had him out of the door this summer imho.

He's awful and completely unable to influence games when the opposition get close to him. Give him space and time he looks a player, on the odd occasion he turns up.

Guest neesy111

Rafa had him sussed and would've had him out of the door this summer imho.

He's awful and completely unable to influence games when the opposition get close to him. Give him space and time he looks a player, on the odd occasion he turns up.

This.

His ball in the move for the Sorensen chance was unreal as well but you just don't get time and space on the ball like that in an actual Premier League game very often.

Had a bit of a rant about him on Twitter when I was little more pissed earlier. Him in a 532 is impossible, he's redundant when you have 2 cb's who can pass, like Schar and Lejeune. Ki plus whoever is much better, as players run away from Shelvey knowing he's going to hoof it. When Ki has the ball players run towards him for a short pass. It just seems to work much better imo. Shelvey just drops far too deep, and leaves us a man short in attack.

Guest Gonzo

Shelvey is thick. We knew that. Of course he’s going to be more comfortable playing for an ex player who’s mentally at a similar level.

Think back to the Pennant story about Rafa where he said something about women with big tits trying to make him laugh, but Rafa stood up without making eye contact and walked off.

That’s basically what we’re dealing with here.

Player that was fringe at best under Rafa and was going to get flogged if he had stayed comes out and crawls up the new managers arse.  Colour me shocked!

If wet spam were knocking on his agents door the words coming out of his mouth would be very different.  He knows he's stuck here so trying to suck his way into first team.

Guest Yerdas El Savon

Statistically very poor overall in his time at NUFC.

What? Does he not score/assist enough for a deep lying playmaker?😆

I think what he said looks bad on paper, however I think the point he was trying to make is that he needs to be told regularly that he’s doing a good job. Rafa is well know to rarely say that and his advice is always more tactical. Shelvey is the type of person and player who’s head can easily drop and telling him he’s doing a good job or adding that alongside tactical will give him a 2nd wind. I don’t think he was having a dog at Rafa at all, which is why he went out of his way to say how Rafa is really good, but just trying to put his own opinion of what he thinks he needs from a manager out there.

I know we are all hurting about Rafa leaving, the running of the club, unwanted players returning, but I think in some cases we are jumping onto things a bit heavily, be it having a go at other fans who are staying away but still watching the team, or jumping on Shelvey’s comments like he’s came out and said Rafa was the worst thing to happen to the club.

most of these players, whether hurt or not about Rafa's departure and the state of the club at the moment, just literally want to play football, play for their pride, get paid, and hopefully win matches. simple as that.

Guest Howaythetoon

There is a reason why Shelvey isn’t and never will be a top player or a player who will make the England squad when fit on a regular basis without starring or playing many minutes and that’s because he’s lazy, on and off the pitch. He’s comfortable and rather than be challenged and challenge himself, adapt his game and commit to learning new ideas, he would rather just play his own game at his own pace without any real responsibility or demands asking him to improve and step things up.

He’s a luxury lazy player with a limited game and one trick pony type skill that doesn’t add an awful lot extra to anything to justify his selection. When he’s on song he’s good, when he’s not he’s an empty shirt and a liability. Me, regardless of my own ability, I want to always improve, learn and work with the best there is. Your wife will give you a cuddle and a kiss, your kids will wrap their arms around you and make you feel good about yourself, your friends will chat with you, you can go to a comedy gig for some laughs.

Bruce will bring your game on lots though, you’ll be the main man and start scoring and creating lots of goals for fun which will lead you to England caps. You see, he can get the best out of you just by the power of chat and an arm around the shoulder. Rafa with his world class tactical acumen, one to one coaching, instructions and expert ability to develop players and build strong teams where each players’ job is specifically important on and off the ball, none of that beats a good old chat and cuddle by a big cuddly softly spoken bubbly bloke. That’s what turns players into internationals and gets them winners medals.

That’s what Bruce will do for Shelvey what Rafa couldn’t.

That’s why Shelvey is so happy and excited to work with Bruce and glad Rafa has gone.

Now watch him go, now we will finally see the real Shelvey and get to finally see just how good he is and what we’ve all been missing these few years he’s been mismanaged and totally misunderstood by Rafa.

He’s almost like a new signing. With Colback also returning which is again just like a new signing, we will be too good in the centre for most teams you imagine. Together they promise to be the best combination we’ve had since the Premier League began.

Bruce’s magic at work already, that’s why the club paid all that money to prize him away from Sheffield Wednesday. He’s transformed Shelvey in one chat and hug.

What was Rafa thinking?! Maybe only he knows...

Lost his place under the last  manager  , The new manager  wants  to give him a chance  to prove he's  good enough  to start each week .

That's  football  at this level, would not read too much into it . Don't  think he was having a go at  Rafa too much .