Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

that's clearly nonsense, in terms of simple passing shelvey is the most talented at the club and probably up there in the league

problem is positioning, decision-making, defensive contribution and workrate etc.....i'd rather have Ki in the team for these reasons

schar and lejeune are superb passers for their position though, no doubt about it

His passing is over-rated. He's good at a certain type of pass. A penetrative one that comes off a few times a game, that often goes out of play or to the opposition many more times than it helps us.

Great passers, don't lose the ball as often as he does.

He wouldn't be better in a slower league because his passing is direct. He doesn't control games with patient passing, waiting for the right incisive ball.

He plays too deep to make the most of the type of passing he can pull off.

Aye, nobody is saying Ki is a better passer, they're saying the team functions better with him there rather than Shelvey.

Someone was actually saying that though.

It’s subjective. I said shelvey is in the top four at the club, but I don’t think he’s the best. His short passing is average.

His passing is over-rated. He's good at a certain type of pass. A penetrative one that comes off a few times a game, that often goes out of play or to the opposition many more times than it helps us.

Great passers, don't lose the ball as often as he does.

He wouldn't be better in a slower league because his passing is direct. He doesn't control games with patient passing, waiting for the right incisive ball.

He plays too deep to make the most of the type of passing he can pull off.

Yep, this.

I know it's opinions, but I swear some people are watching a different player or re-writing history.  When the fat, lazy slob can be bothered to get up the pitch.  He'll play, or at least attempt through balls or passes round the corner, that most players in our team wouldn't even see, never mind try. 

It's like people only remember him sitting deep and zinging 60 yarders that look pretty, yet rarely come off or come to much.

I think he is more of a low percentage/high reward type passer and one of the only midfielders we have that even try anything positive, passing wise.  Which is why I find this argument so odd, especially when Ki is mentioned as anything other than someone that is a bit more mobile. Longstaff is probably going to be a better player overall, he might already be, even.  But still early days there.  Hayden is good at what he does  and I hope he stays, TBH.  After that, shite.

I actually think my main gripe with Shelvey is his shooting and set pieces.  So talented and accurate with the ball a lot of the time.  But shits himself when he shoots and blazes it over.  His set pieces are usually crap, as well.

Shelvey's Hollywood balls are amazing when they come off but no one in the league surrenders possession as much as he does. He has an amazing technical ability but his decision making is often woeful.

Guest Yerdas El Savon

Shelvey's Hollywood balls are amazing when they come off but no one in the league surrenders possession as much as he does. He has an amazing technical ability but his decision making is often woeful.

Be amazed if this is even remotely true.

Guest neesy111

Be amazed if this is even remotely true.

It is true.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest chopey

I think he could be finished as a first team starter for us, he's not mobile enough and doesn't cover enough ground to be effective anymore