Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I don’t rate him and won’t go anywhere with him as a starter. Shame as he has that little bit of flair and creativity that I was talking about the other day that I reckon the typical young English midfielder of today lacks. Can’t get around the pitch and causes more problems to us than the opposition. Thought when we signed him we were on to a winner with his raking passes getting the best out of Janmaat’s forward runs and Wijnaldum getting on the end of things in the box as a result. You could argue we could get the legs around him but you couldn’t really play him and a number 10 together. You’d pretty much need two Hayden’s for him to work but you’d still have the problem of the front three being isolated. If Sean Longstaff had a bit more pace and dynamism rather than his one-paced style then again a three might have worked at the expense of a number 10. You’d also need Shelvey to have 7-8 out of 10 good games rather than 3-4. Annoys we wondering where we could have been had we stayed up that season. We might have still struggled to keep Wijnaldum & Sissoko but we could have been in a position to replace them better off the bat rather than having to drop down and sign Championship and low budget players for the next 3 years.

I don't see how Shelvey fits into a midfield two with the options he have beside him. Even though we've seen two matches, I feel Hayden-Hendrick would give us more at both ends of the pitch - and don't feel Shelvey's form is good enough to ditch Hayden if Brewcie wanted to try Shelvey-Hendrick. I wouldn't put Shelvey and either Longstaff (at the moment) together against Morecombe as a midfield two...

If he's in a midfield three, then it pretty much has to be in the role KaKa described, but that a) forces us to play a certain way and b) assumes Shelvey deserves to have the formation moulded around him. When he plays as one of two CMs with an AMC in front of them, he always drops too deep and doesn't feel the need to get up and back.

Which is why a good manager didn't find a place for him when he settled on his first XI.

the only other thing you could do with shelvey would be to take him out of the firing line by playing two DMs behind him to cover all the space he leaves and protect the CBs, everton are p[laying a version of this actually but with better players obvs...along the lines of

back 5

DM  DM

Shelves

Fraser    ASM

Wilson

problem with that is he's not really dynamic enough to get up and down in support of the forwards but would arguably be a better option under bacon because shelvey being in the team as part of a two or sitting deep just means long balls...he has improved his fitness and stamina somewhat under bacon, imo, so it might be a better option overall as long as the wide players and shelvey were tunned to play it early and into space

either longstaff would cover that position better as well tbh...problem is we only have hayden who can play DM don't we?

His defensive numbers are horrendous. He's a good passer of the ball but if he's playing as one of 2 central midfielders then, more often than not, we're just going to be overrun in midfield as he's a liability when we don't have the ball.

The midfield is a huge problem. Hayden is the only one who can say he has a clear job to do which he actually does.

Not sure what Hendrick is supposed to be or where he’s supposed to play. So far he’s played on the left and the right wing!

The Longstaffs are broken..

And Shelvey.. well the bronze statue comment sums him up perfectly.

There’s no option or combination there that’s not riddles with problems.

Not sure what Hendrick is supposed to be or where he’s supposed to play. So far he’s played on the left and the right wing!

He played a bit in the centre as well towards the end of the Brighton match :lol:

hopefully he'll be a bit like Willems - not have a fucking clue where he's meant to be playing, so will just use his own common sense and settle into a useful position and let Brewcy take the credit.

The midfield is a huge problem. Hayden is the only one who can say he has a clear job to do which he actually does.

The midfield problems are made a lot worse by Bruce's failure to understand the role defenders play in building passing moves. Tariq Lamptey is a full back yet he ripped us apart. Poor Brucey would be going purple in the face wondering what the hell a defender was doing bombing so far up the pitch instead of kicking lumps out of a striker.

The midfield problems are made a lot worse by Bruce's failure to understand the role defenders play in building passing moves. Tariq Lamptey is a full back yet he ripped us apart. Poor Brucey would be going purple in the face wondering what the hell a defender was doing bombing so far up the pitch instead of kicking lumps out of a striker.

he'll have looked at the brighton's line-up and scoffed at how disgustingly defensive they were lining up with their 3 centre backs, compared to his own attacking 442 formation with the 2 "big lads" up front.

I’m not overly concerned about Lamptey, Chelsea couldn’t cope with him either and were lucky to get a result in that game.. highly flattering score line.

Am definitely more concerned about the midfield and the defence. Lascelles needs to be doing better and lead by example.

I think longstaff would be decent with a half decent manager.  He tries to play football both him and Schar suffer under bruce.  Hoof ball isn't their style.  Lack of options leads to them being caught on the ball

In terms of shelvey he was decent enough at West ham  the last two games the managers tactics have been moronic surrender the midfield

Hendrick looks gash

Shelvey is in the team because of the defence we have i.e. they aren´t good enough to bring the ball out. Shelvey has to drop deep to get the ball and then play a long raking pass past his midfield mates (they don´t pass the ballk out either).

If we had signed Holden from arsenal it would have given us options to get rid of shelvey in the middle as he is composed on the ball.

At the moment we are very "one-paced" in the middle with shelvey and hayden. I would prefer a more dynamic "pivot" next to hayden such as either hendrick or matty, someone who could actually back up the attacks and have the drive (balls...professionalism) to track back afterwards. Shelvey just doesn´t want to do the work necessary and is a "luxury"...

I would rather he played a 433 or 4231:

-----------Defence-------------

Hendrick-----Hayden------Almiron

AsM--------Wilson-------Fraser

---------Defence--------------

------Hendrick -----Hayden---------

ASM--------Almiron---------Fraser

------------Wislon----------------

Guest neesy111

Agreed, he did improve his consistency last season and popped in with a few goals but if you look at him since leaving Liverpool he's always been in struggling teams and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Rafa was right in wanting to move this guy on - the game has progressed. He hasn't. His hollywood passes hitting row z and doing absolutely f*** all else all game doesn't work anymore.

Spot on.

Was raging the same to the missus yesterday and she then understood how bad the guy is from watching his performance in the first half. He has no legs (you need an engine in this league) and ability to pass forward has appeared to have gone from his game. It’s like playing with 10 men from the start