Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

3 hours ago, Consortium of one said:

I don't want Shelvey in the same midfield as Bruno.  He's redundant.  Bruno as DM, let Joe and Willock play in front of him and away we go.

this for sure

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

You mean play Shelvey in Willocks position? I cant see that tbh, unless like you say we go out with a different approach.. not sure which teams in the league we could currently take that approach with though I think going out with the press is 100% the move atm. On Shelvey being undroppable I'd say this season he is - him, Lascelles and Trippier are Howes mainstays on the pitch imo, the same way he likes limited Ritchie around the dressing room. I also think WIllock can improve and he has a long way to go, he has make his overall game more consistent as he starts slow in the first half and builds in the second. Not sure how much this might be down to playing against tired players and overall just playing better when the whole team grow into the game, hes defo a confidence player either way. 

I'd prefer a midfield of Bruno, JL and Willock. No Shelvey at all.

8 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

Think it will be Joelinton, Shelvey, Bruno me like.

Willock’s looking a threat again. Think we need as many goal threats as we can and you could easily see him chipping in with 3-4 goals. Same with ASM & Fraser. Should be Shelvey or as harsh as it seems, Joelinton who drops out.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd prefer a midfield of Bruno, JL and Willock. No Shelvey at all.

I probably would to, well after recent performances I think its harsh to drop Shelvey (I know some will disagree) but next season I think thats how we could line up. The key thing is though that Howe will start Shelvey for the rest of this season and based off of his decision to do so last night I cant really say its wrong [emoji38]

Edited by Nine

Yeah, it's looking more and more like Willock, at least, has a chance of being the future, where as we know Shelveys days are numbered long term.

Shelvey will pick up a knock/suspension soon enough and will never get his place back.

He is, since Howe come in, having his best spell here, and has contributed really well recently, but he’s such a liability and is the weaker of our midfield options over even Longstaff and Willock who despite decent second half’s against Leeds and for Willock Everton, have been abysmal under Howe at times. I’d drop him for Bruno yesterday!

I didnt think the tackle was anywhere near a red, as long as he doesn't go too far with it im all for someone in DM who puts those in for the sake of it and blaming him for the goal coming from it is crazy. Until the end of the season i think he's fine, for me Willock was very poor 1st 50-60 mins, running into dead ends and poor passing decisions. As much as in hope he comes good I can see him becoming an impact sub over the next few weeks

Rewatched the Everton game. Shelvey made quite a few interceptions, knicking the ball from in front of his man too. From what I could see he did more of that than Joelinton (who I thought looked a little less sharp than usual - EH has said he didn't train much recently). 

Shelvey's got good close control and his passing, even first touch, was very assured. 

He also ran quite a bit, he's just a bit slow. He has got strength of the ball though.

His positioning was pretty disciplined. What caught him out a bit was quick midfielders running off his shoulder. He just hasn't got the pace to get back.

Based on the Everton game I wouldn't be looking to drop him.

I think Willock rather than Shelvey is most at risk of losing his place to Bruno.

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Rewatched the Everton game. Shelvey made quite a few interceptions, knicking the ball from in front of his man too. From what I could see he did more of that than Joelinton (who I thought looked a little less sharp than usual - EH has said he didn't train much recently). 

Shelvey's got good close control and his passing, even first touch, was very assured. 

He also ran quite a bit, he's just a bit slow. He has got strength of the ball though.

His positioning was pretty disciplined. What caught him out a bit was quick midfielders running off his shoulder. He just hasn't got the pace to get back.

Based on the Everton game I wouldn't be looking to drop him.

I think Willock rather than Shelvey is most at risk of losing his place to Bruno.

I'm not even sure its the foot pace, though that would help him recover, but he doesn't read the game as a DM and that makes the difference.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm not even sure its the foot pace, though that would help him recover, but he doesn't read the game as a DM and that makes the difference.

Not sure that's fair re: the Everton game. I watched the whole game again but just focused on the middle 3. Sometimes Shelvey would close down higher up the pitch but if he did the other 2 would hang back. 

Anyway, EH said he was a 6 in the Villa pre game talk and I guess it's the best place to use him for now. I would replace him asap with a better player if we can in the summer.

Interestingly EH called JL an attacking player. JL for Willock and Bruno in JL's old spot. Shelvey to stay is my bet.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Not sure that's fair re: the Everton game. I watched the whole game again but just focused on the middle 3. Sometimes Shelvey would close down higher up the pitch but if he did the other 2 would hang back. 

Anyway, EH said he was a 6 in the Villa pre game talk and I guess it's the best place to use him for now. I would replace him asap with a better player if we can in the summer.

Interestingly EH called JL an attacking player. JL for Willock and Bruno in JL's old spot. Shelvey to stay is my bet.

Was that because Everton played a strange pass out from the back game even when we were tight, Jonjo followed his man in, in more open ay he was the central sitter, its how he got dragged out to Gordon (which was just short of a red).

8 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Incidentally I thought Gordon like a good player in the making. Good physicality, good feet and plenty of bite in him too.

Wish Newcastle could develop players like him. 

We will, might take a few years though.

Think I must be watching different games to me, playing in a 3 you need a deep lying midfielder and Shelvey has done that brilliantly of late. Swapping Bruno and asking him to do that is a waste of his talents. Shelvey could score a hatrick and still get slated on here. 

Brilliantly relative to his extremely low standards he's set over the past couple of years, maybe. He's now putting in the level of performance he should have been displaying during the entirety of his time here, but that doesn't make up for 2 years of absolute dross.

He's still prone to dropping us right in the shit as he very almost did on a couple of occasions on Tuesday night (and that's discounting the daft tackle that led to their goal). I can't wait to see the back of him and I'll make no apologies for that. 

1 minute ago, NEEJ said:

Brilliantly relative to his extremely low standards he's set over the past couple of years, maybe. He's now putting in the level of performance he should have been displaying during the entirety of his time here, but that doesn't make up for 2 years of absolute dross.

He's still prone to dropping us right in the shit as he very almost did on a couple of occasions on Tuesday night (and that's discounting the daft tackle that led to their goal). I can't wait to see the back of him and I'll make no apologies for that. 

Joelinton has just had a shiver down his spine.

42 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

I hate to reference Graeme Souness, but I remember once a debate on Super Sunday about Pogba and 'tractors vs trailers'. 

I've been convinced for a long time that Shelvey is a trailer. He has the technical ability to be a tractor, but not the drive. He's not someone that deals well with adversity. When he sees people around him pushing and demanding more he can raise himself to that, but as a CM you're often a tone setter. I think Swansea realised quickly that he was never going to change so flogged him here.

It may be hard to get rid of him, but I think we're watching his farewell tour right now. 

40 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Agree. He has been improved (doesn’t take much as you said), but he certainly hasn’t been anything special either and as you also  said he is a red card in waiting. Also agree with Thiago’s post above. 

I agree that he has been shit for a long time and his critism then was understable and i was the first to slate him when it deserved. 

I'll also be glad when we bring in a proper cdm that is of higher quality but for now he is the best option we have and has played very well and put in a shift every game which Is very unlike him.

There are so many positions that in the near future will be upgraded and rightly so if we want to progress but how many players were utter shit before Howe that now look decent and are now showing up.

You may not like Shelvey and that's your right but we need to use the players we have until we can improve and he is by far the best midfielder we have at sitting back and playing that role especially in a 3 and give credit when it's due as if we went by previous form we would only be playing with 5 players.

Edited by HWTL

2 hours ago, HWTL said:

I agree that he has been shit for a long time and his critism then was understable and i was the first to slate him when it deserved. 

I'll also be glad when we bring in a proper cdm that is of higher quality but for now he is the best option we have and has played very well and put in a shift every game which Is very unlike him.

There are so many positions that in the near future will be upgraded and rightly so if we want to progress but how many players were utter shit before Howe that now look decent and are now showing up.

You may not like Shelvey and that's your right but we need to use the players we have until we can improve and he is by far the best midfielder we have at sitting back and playing that role especially in a 3 and give credit when it's due as if we went by previous form we would only be playing with 5 players.

he had a decent game v Everton and has performed well of late , he boils my piss at times but it’s simple , perform and you stay in the team , it’s when he’s shit and still starts that now we can’t tolerate, Bruno puts him under pressure to keep his form at 100%