Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

2 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Some of his passing is really good, but he shouldnt be in the DM/Pivot role

Jonjo Shelvey Scouting Report | FBref.com

Rarely dispossessed but passes the ball to the opposition a lot.

We would improve massively by playing Bruno there imo. I know single pivot isn’t his preferred role but he would be better than Shelvey defensively and would retain the ball much better.

Just now, Miercoles said:

Absolutely amazed he didn't get a red for that challenge. Not saying it's always a red card, though it was pretty bad on replay, but that player for this team? It's a miracle he stayed on the pitch.

Aye, was similar to the Kane tackle that fucked Lejeune, and we were calling for a red. Maybe the winds are changing. 

Guest ManDoon
5 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Absolutely amazed he didn't get a red for that challenge. Not saying it's always a red card, though it was pretty bad on replay, but that player for this team? It's a miracle he stayed on the pitch.

I thought it was a pretty bad tackle, scissor tackles are always grim. It was also completely unnecessary. Standard brain dead thing he does all the time. 

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I thought it was a pretty bad tackle, scissor tackles are always grim. It was also completely unnecessary. Standard brain dead thing he does all the time. 

Because he's slow to cover ground. You can see it coming a mile off when he goes thundering in for those diving tackles from yards away. Shelvey's got a lot of quality on the ball, but he's best just screening players when he's defending, he just ends up taking their legs.

I felt like I saw the perfect microcosm for his career here last night. He had some nice passes into space that switched the point of attack quickly, but he also had a clear rush of blood with the tackle on Gordon.

The problem with him is that you could see that tackle coming a mile off. When the crowd gets up like that he's always the top candidate to cross the line. I guess in an odd way I have to give him some credit for not getting a second yellow, but still. 

I don't see a way in which he drops out of the XI this season when he's fit and available, and I'm kind of ok with that if the plan is for him to bunker in deep and try to dictate. 

Felt like he had the opposite game to most. Was decent in the first half, broke up play and kept possession well, then sort of faded from view in the second half as others stepped their games up.

I don't think we'd miss him if he was dropped for Bruno, not at all, even if Joelinton was pushed further back to accommodate (anything to get him further away from the opposition goal and to get Bruno into his favoured left-sided CM slot where he can combine with ASM all day long).

He should have been sent off. It was horrendous. And that underhit pass to Targett when we were attacking that should have ended with Schar being sent off. He was a liability and has to be dropped for me. Even if it means going from more of a 4-1-4-1 to a 4-2-3-1

9 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

Felt like he had the opposite game to most. Was decent in the first half, broke up play and kept possession well, then sort of faded from view in the second half as others stepped their games up.

Pretty much how I saw it, think alot of what he does goes under appreciated because of a silly yellow card (it was a bad tackle). Hes been one of our most consistent players on the pitch over the last 2 games, looks very settled into the role that Howe has him playing and is very economical with the ball 99% of the time.

Like I said yesterday I think Bruno could come in for Willock and not Shelvey.

Edited by Nine

He's been doing well lately but he's still a liability when the chips are down and it will take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Was a shocking tackle, there were a couple of little needly incidents leading up to it which the crowd had reacted to and he got stupidly carried away imo, away from home that's definitely a red more often than not.

One positive is that he's becoming more sellable if he keeps playing like this I suppose.

30 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

He should have been sent off. It was horrendous. And that underhit pass to Targett when we were attacking that should have ended with Schar being sent off. He was a liability and has to be dropped for me. Even if it means going from more of a 4-1-4-1 to a 4-2-3-1

Agree the pass was poor and it nearly cost us but neither of those tackles were ever red cards man! 

Tbf he may have thought the Everton player was gonna knock it past him and set up something decent so he just decided to chop him, take a yellow and allow us to reset.

If so, nothing wrong with the decision making process there. Just that the tackle ended being a bit heavy for my liking. Was expecting a red.

49 minutes ago, Nine said:

Pretty much how I saw it, think alot of what he does goes under appreciated because of a silly yellow card (it was a bad tackle). Hes been one of our most consistent players on the pitch over the last 2 games, looks very settled into the role that Howe has him playing and is very economical with the ball 99% of the time.

Like I said yesterday I think Bruno could come in for Willock and not Shelvey.

Yes he's economical on the ball, I will happily concede that, but he's never going to do the type of pressing off the ball that Willock did which led to the 3rd goal. I guess there is an argument to leave in in his relatively low horsepower role in front of the defence and move Bruno up to do the pressing, but still seems like we are losing some bite in the midfield as a result.

24 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yes he's economical on the ball, I will happily concede that, but he's never going to do the type of pressing off the ball that Willock did which led to the 3rd goal. I guess there is an argument to leave in in his relatively low horsepower role in front of the defence and move Bruno up to do the pressing, but still seems like we are losing some bite in the midfield as a result.

Shelvey is defo not physical enough to press as part of the central 2 of our midfield, I meant that Bruno could come into the team in Willocks role not putting him in Shelveys role. The only way Shelvey fits into the side in this formation is by playing DLP/QB, I guess it all depends on how Howe sees Bruno because theres no chance he drops Shelvey for him anytime soon - the 5 minutes he gave him last night in Willocks place might have been a glimpse of what hes capable of albeit against tired players and could be how we see him put into the starting 11. 

It does seem doing a straight swap Shelvey for Bruno is the way to go but its just not going to happen at the moment. 

Edited by Nine

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

Shelvey is defo not physical enough to press as part of the central 2 of our midfield, I meant that Bruno could come into the team in Willocks role not putting him in Shelveys role. The only way Shelvey fits into the side in this formation is by playing DLP/QB, I guess it all depends on how Howe sees Bruno because theres no chance he drops Shelvey for him anytime soon - the 5 minutes he gave him last night in Willocks place might have been a glimpse of what hes capable of albeit against tired players and could be how we see him put into the starting 11. 

It does seem doing a straight swap Shelvey for Bruno is the way to go but its just not going to happen at the moment. 

The only logic I can see in starting Shelvey ahead of Willock is if we aren't looking to press too high early in the game, and are looking to just control the tempo. Then maybe bring Willock on as a sub when we need to ramp it up. But let's be clear, neither of them are undroppable, both have glaring weaknesses in their game. I think Willock can improve though, so at some point I think he'll be starting ahead of Shelvey in the not too distant future. Although both might be upgraded in the summer if the owners are as ambitious as we think they are.

Shelvey has been involved in a good number of our goals this season. We assume Bruno will do more and better but what if he takes a bit of time to adjust to the PL?

There's no reason to drop Shelvey right now. People saying Willock should play instead of him need to give their heads a shake - he's had 1.5 good games this season and i think i'm right in saying no goals and no assists?

It's so easy to say we'll score this many more with Bruno in the team but we don't know that yet. Stick to what has worked so far, and arguably that's Shelvey playing.

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

The only logic I can see in starting Shelvey ahead of Willock is if we aren't looking to press too high early in the game, and are looking to just control the tempo. Then maybe bring Willock on as a sub when we need to ramp it up. But let's be clear, neither of them are undroppable, both have glaring weaknesses in their game. I think Willock can improve though, so at some point I think he'll be starting ahead of Shelvey in the not too distant future. Although both might be upgraded in the summer if the owners are as ambitious as we think they are.

You mean play Shelvey in Willocks position? I cant see that tbh, unless like you say we go out with a different approach.. not sure which teams in the league we could currently take that approach with though I think going out with the press is 100% the move atm. On Shelvey being undroppable I'd say this season he is - him, Lascelles and Trippier are Howes mainstays on the pitch imo, the same way he likes limited Ritchie around the dressing room. I also think WIllock can improve and he has a long way to go, he has make his overall game more consistent as he starts slow in the first half and builds in the second. Not sure how much this might be down to playing against tired players and overall just playing better when the whole team grow into the game, hes defo a confidence player either way. 

Edited by Nine