Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This "foreign players are an inherent risk" spiel is a complete myth btw. It's just not at all backed up by what we see in the rest of the division. If you try and buy crap ones with no track record because they're cheap, like Gouffran, then of course, but that's not exclusive to foreign players.

IMO it's more risky to buy players that have fallen down the pecking order at properly-run PL clubs because there's usually a reason for it. In the summer I was shaking my head at people wanting us to buy Micah Richards, and surprise surprise, he's been a complete disaster at Villa.

I agree, good foreign players aren't a risk but there is a settling in time, see Wijnaldum who has only showed his class sporadically, he will get more consistent I'm sure. The only thing is, I think with strikers if they haven't scored consistently in the division before, it is always a risk, foreign or home grown.

Yeah the hate is unreal like. People were giving fans stick for booing Thauvin last week, and this poor c*** is getting even more stick and he hasn't even signed yet. Folks can't  say give Thauvin a chance he has hardly played, then follow it up with writing Townsend off before he has even signed. If he signs, let's just see how it goes.

Townsend has grown up in this league and there's a lot of evidence that he isn't what we need at all. Thuavin's been here 2 minutes, nobody here knows how good he is. I'd rather take the gamble on something that might be great than accept mediocrity.

Guest antz1uk

The last true winger of any ability was Routledge. It is shocking that we never replaced him.

[emoji38] We replaced him with Ben Arfa.

let's not rewrite history here,

We replaced him with Obertan - August 2011

we got Ben Arfa the season prior

This "foreign players are an inherent risk" spiel is a complete myth btw. It's just not at all backed up by what we see in the rest of the division. If you try and buy crap ones with no track record because they're cheap, like Gouffran, then of course, but that's not exclusive to foreign players.

IMO it's more risky to buy players that have fallen down the pecking order at properly-run PL clubs because there's usually a reason for it. In the summer I was shaking my head at people wanting us to buy Micah Richards, and surprise surprise, he's been a complete disaster at Villa.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

The last true winger of any ability was Routledge. It is shocking that we never replaced him.

[emoji38] We replaced him with Ben Arfa.

let's not rewrite history here,

We replaced him with Obertan - August 2011

we got Ben Arfa the season prior

Ben Arfa directly replaced Routledge in the starting XI, there's not really any argument about that.

The sort of player who would definitely help us stay up, but not sure if would be a good long-term fit.

Know a few Spurs season ticket holders and they just don't rate him. He's infuriating when it comes to cutting inside and shooting (normally badly) but he's relatively young, hard-working and professional. Knows the league too which definitely does help.

It's good we're getting players with a point to prove rather than those here for a pay day, but yeah, sure there's more promising/exciting players out there who could have fit better.

He's not had a chance in the Spurs side because Poch as being demonstrated now is obsessive about playing through the middle. Hence why they have been struggling to score goals lately.

Jabba has packed the middle and the Spurs players are tinkering around the edges of it with no penetration.

"Struggling to score goals lately"

Only three teams have scored more PL goals than Spurs in the last six games prior to today. More expert insight from Parky.

Run of easier games. Just looked them up...;)

Pochetinno has been more defensive this season especially in Nov and Dec it has been one constant criticism of Spurs who made a bright start and have credentials for a top 4 side - a squad packed with talent. 5 draws against bottom 6 sides.

2 goals at home in the last 5 PL games if you take Norwich out of the equation.

If you want expert insight just ask.

The main reason we won there is they bunch up in the middle and are over intricate with little width my original point reg Townsend and Chadli rarely getting a start.

Any time I've seen Townsend he isn't really a proper winger either, he starts on the right, cuts in and shoots

I think that's the same for all of Tottenham's wingers :lol:

Townsend is right at the bottom of the pile there like, he probably walks into our side on the left, even though he doesn't play there, because we're not willing to give Thauvin more than 3 minutes of game time every month and Aarons is probably dead. Still really don't want him.

I do think there's something to be said for a core of a few experienced, British players who can get the non-British through tough games where things are going against them. It seems to be a characteristic more in line with our own than foreigners, generally. Of course there are notable exceptions, but when our team has gone missing for entire months on end this season, it seems of little consequence or consideration for the non-British. When Arsenal romped to the title undefeated, they had Martin Keown still there, Ray Parlour, Sol Campbell alongside some of the best foreign players the Premier League has ever seen and I think they often get forgotten.

Case in point was when we went down and players like Smith, Harper, Nolan, Barton took the playing squad by the scruff of the next and got us up again, I'd imagine a sense of 'This is Newcastle United, we're a Premier League team and we need to get back'.. I don't recall any of the foreign-born players being attributed to that group at the time.

Until Shelvey's arrival, there's been no British player in our squad worthy of a regular starting position in a long time and we just don't have the quality or arrogance in the rest of the team to compensate for the lack of British 'grit' and heart-on-the-sleeve play that most British players have.

Does this mean I'd rather have Shelvey than Fabregas, or 11 Jack Colbacks, certeris parabus, of course not. But for this club in particular to be successful, one that is so tied to the city, the area and the fans, there needs to be some kind of connection and empathy there to channel that support to become a positive force for the team. Some of our foreigners had this - Dabizas, Solano, Hatem, Ginola, Sibierski. I don't think there is any foreign player in our squad that came here because they wanted to play for Newcastle long term, and they just don't get vested into the club and it shows when the going gets tough.

Nothing wrong with having a British core, or at least having that viewpoint at the very least. At the end of the day though, if those British players are shit then what's the fucking point?

Jack Colback

Steven Taylor

Mike Williamson

Jonjo Shelvey

Rob Elliot

I've probably missed a few, but out of that list there aren't many that are the blood and thunder heart of a lion type.

I don't disagree, my point was more along the lines of needing a couple of quality British players in our first 11. The few British players we have got are hardly the stand-up example of what I was trying to say :lol:

Nothing wrong with having a British core, or at least having that viewpoint at the very least. At the end of the day though, if those British players are s*** then what's the f***ing point?

Jack Colback

Steven Taylor

Mike Williamson

Jonjo Shelvey

Rob Elliot

I've probably missed a few, but out of that list there aren't many that are the blood and thunder heart of a lion type.

Wouldn't fancy a 50-50 against any me sel' like; particularly big Robbie--Hughie Gallagher got splatted by less weight...

Guest Roger Kint

We'll end up paying 14-15m for him from Spurs like. Would rather take 3 x 5m gambles from the lower leagues cause imo he's already reached his ceiling.

Byram, Gray & Austin combined would have been cheaper :lol: