Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Based on form Henderson and Wilshere shouldnt be in the final list.

Given the fact that there is only one defensive midfielder, Dier, who could be used as a central defender also, Drinkwater should have been on the list.

Townsend should have gone. Especially since when England are chasing the game against good opposition, their best strategy has been taking long distance shots. He also is a great weapon against tired legs.

I saw some reservations against Milner but he is a great asset to have in the squad. Easily one of our best players in the second half of the season especially in the Europa cup run. Doesnt do anything flashy but provides assists when played wide. Also a great utility player - can play both full backs, wide attacking midfielder, and a central midfield player to a reasonable level.

Teams who actually win the tournaments don't pick their players on form either like. There has to be a ballance, but I think Wilshire's inclusion is mental given he's been injured for as long as I can remember.

:thup:

Germany picking Schweinsteiger, Spain taking Fabregas, etc.

Will those players help them win it though?

Teams who actually win the tournaments don't pick their players on form either like. There has to be a ballance, but I think Wilshire's inclusion is mental given he's been injured for as long as I can remember.

:thup:

Germany picking Schweinsteiger, Spain taking Fabregas, etc.

Will those players help them win it though?

Despite his rather poor season by his standards, I assume Fabregas will start (as well he should based on his talent). Dunno where Schweinsteiger stands in terms of Germany's starting XI but I think he's an important veteran presence for them, especially with the likes of Lahm and Mertesacker retired.

Can't believe Townsend has been dropped from the national squad. Perfect player to bring on at 75 mins against tired legs at least.

Has proved he can create goals,score goals,(including free-kicks) and beat a man with pace on the inside and out.

Bringing him and Rashford on late on in a tight game would cause major headaches for the opposition.

Rooney's in form for England and has been for 2 years. I couldn't care less what he does in a Man U shirt playing for a manager who had him on a metal leash.

So if he's in the squad as a midfielder/forward then you should probably think again whether you really need Wilshere, Barkley, Milner, Sterling and Henderson. Maybe Roy is going to give us a reincarnation of total football where every single forward can do a job as a wide man, midfielder and a striker and they'll all play a vital part. I just can't get over the memory of Pardew leading a Hughton built side winning 3-1 against him in the premier when he was Liverpool boss.

I would have also taken Rashford tbh,I know it's chucking him in at the deep end but he's been getting goals in big games and seems to be very grounded, as well as having that natural goalscoring ability.

Of course there is a risk of him doing something stupid like Beckham against Argentina due to his in-experience,but at the same time there is a chance he scores the winning goal and becomes an instant superstar (In England at least)

Glad Drinkwater's not going to be honest, I don't think his style suits international football. Looked a bit out of sorts against the Aussies.

I agree with Henderson deserving his place.

I would have also taken Rashford tbh,I know it's chucking him in at the deep end but he's been getting goals in big games and seems to be very grounded, as well as having that natural goalscoring ability.

Of course there is a risk of him doing something stupid like Beckham against Argentina due to his in-experience,but at the same time there is a chance he scores the winning goal and becomes an instant superstar (In England at least)

Too bad he won't play at all.

Still can't figure out what Jordan Henderson does tbh. I've heard that he plays football for a living but I still haven't seen it.

As a non-English person who usually likes to see England do well in international tournaments, I hope England crash and burn with this ridiculous squad that they've settled on.  Cowardly decisions as usual.

Glad Drinkwater's not going to be honest, I don't think his style suits international football. Looked a bit out of sorts against the Aussies.

I agree with Henderson deserving his place.

This.  Plays in a totally different system for Leicester and has a T-1000 playing next to him.  But it's 'a disgrace' that he's not going? :lol:

He looked massively lost against Australia and I don't get why everyone is so upset about him being left out?  He was never going to the Euros. 

TBH, I don't think the squad is that bad.  I would have taken Townsend, as I'm biased and he offers something a bit different.  We are probably gambling a bit on some of the players fitness.  But I don't think we have that many great options behind them.  So I think it's worth the gamble.  I don't think Rashford will even play, so I guess you could say that's a bit pointless, and all.  But after the problem with Sturridge, the debut goal and the wankfest in the media.  He was always going to get included.

Still can't figure out what Jordan Henderson does tbh. I've heard that he plays football for a living but I still haven't seen it.

Can't remember the amount of times I've watched Liverpool and after 35 minutes the commentator mentions Henderson and I go "Oh, shit, he's playing?". Was the same when he played for the mackems as well.

I would have taken Carroll ahead of Rashford and Sturridge as well btw. Been in good form for West Ham since returning from injury, and when he's on his game, he's a nightmare for defenders.

At least the side has a bit of an identity. Although seemingly at the cost of genuine plan B's.

Think Sturridge and Rashford look like fine finishers, with good pace, Sturridge can beat a man but tactically they would be similar to Vardy. If a team is sitting deep and playing narrow there's no one to fling in crosses or to head it.

I would have taken Carroll ahead of Rashford and Sturridge as well btw. Been in good form for West Ham since returning from injury, and when he's on his game, he's a nightmare for defenders.

Why should England actually have real options to influence games, to try and win the tournament? Surely it's better to placate the pundits and media in order to avoid criticism for leaving out the household names. I honestly had hope for Hodgson. Hope he does well but with that selection he's looking at an early exit imo. Possibly even in the group stage.

Why should England actually have real options to influence games, to try and win the tournament? Surely it's better to placate the pundits and media in order to avoid criticism for leaving out the household names. I honestly had hope for Hodgson. Hope he does well but with that selection he's looking at an early exit imo. Possibly even in the group stage.

Not sure I agree with this. The first 11 isn't affected by not taking Townsend and Drinkwater and we should have more than enough in the first choice team to be getting through the group without having to resort to Townsend coming on and saving the day.