Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't think you know what you're going to get with Townsend though, he's erratic and he's barely played. If we were going for English players who were performing regularly and well then that would be different.

Colback is s**** but plays every game.

Cases in point. Gini, Sissoko, Janmaat, Perez Mitro et al seem to do OK because they're firstly good players and secondly they were given a chance to actually play.

Thauvin and Cabella might never have made it but the idea that Andros Townsend - who has scored 3 league goals unless I'm very much mistaken at age 24 - is the answer is beyond ludicrous.

We have an old school English manager, as we did with Pardew, who is trying to blame the horrendous first half of this season on a lack of a core of English players it would seem.

Well were that true go and sign Shawcross for £25m then, I might think there was some substance to it then because it would show a commitment to the idea not just convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs.

hmm, i agree to an extent, but convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs are all we can attract while we sit in the bottom three.

shawcross would be absolutely barmy to swap stoke for us atm.

Of course he would aye, but that's for him to decide. Put the money on the table for someone at the top of their game with no attitude problems or history of disruption.

Of course they won't do that.

The inglish thing is both partially true and a myth imo; when you sign shit foreigners it doesn't mean you need an inglish core to succeed, it means you need a quality core.

:thup:  Bang on the money.

It's the quality that counts, not the nationality or 'premier league experieeeeeennnnnnceeee marra'.  Sissoko, Perez, Wijnaldum, Mbemba, not a jot of English blood or premier league experience between the lot of them.  Colback, Dummett, Williamson and Fistpumps on the other hand....

On the other side you have that experienced premier league star Gabby Obertan who has been lighting up this league since time immemorial and Jonjo Shelvey who is actually good.  It's not Shelveys experience or nationality that makes him the better player, it's his quality.

Buy quality English and on the whole you'll do well.  Buy quality forrins and on the whole you'll do well.  Buy shit of either and you'll be shit.

Yeah someone earlier mentioned it's not xenophobia to want more English people in the team but that's pretty much what it is if you just want them cause they're English.

Berahino has a lot of potential and has had one (?) good season scoring goals so I can see the logic of going for him. Townsend has done nothing and he's 24 so I can't see the logic in binning a younger player in Thauvin to sign Townsend when neither of the deals will be on our terms or in our favour. We'd be better off keeping Thauvin and actually fucking playing him. IMO he'd probably equal the 3 goals Townsend has scored in his career if given a *fair* chance in the next 10-15 games.

EDIT: doing the lad a disservice there, he's actually scored 5 goals for Spurs and QPR since 2009 plus a handful at lower league level.

Don't think you know what you're going to get with Townsend though, he's erratic and he's barely played. If we were going for English players who were performing regularly and well then that would be different.

Cases in point. Gini, Sissoko, Janmaat, Perez Mitro et al seem to do OK because they're firstly good players and secondly they were given a chance to actually play.

Thauvin and Cabella might never have made it but the idea that Andros Townsend - who has scored 3 league goals unless I'm very much mistaken at age 24 - is the answer is beyond ludicrous.

We have an old school English manager, as we did with Pardew, who is trying to blame the horrendous first half of this season on a lack of a core of English players it would seem.

Well were that true go and sign Shawcross for £25m then, I might think there was some substance to it then because it would show a commitment to the idea not just convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs.

hmm, i agree to an extent, but convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs are all we can attract while we sit in the bottom three.

Of course he would aye, but that's for him to decide. Put the money on the table for someone at the top of their game with no attitude problems or history of disruption.

The inglish thing is both partially true and a myth imo; when you sign shit foreigners it doesn't mean you need an inglish core to succeed, it means you need a quality core.

It's the quality that counts, not the nationality or 'premier league experieeeeeennnnnnceeee marra'.  Sissoko, Perez, Wijnaldum, Mbemba, not a jot of English blood or premier league experience between the lot of them.  Colback, Dummett, Williamson and Fistpumps on the other hand....

On the other side you have that experienced premier league star Gabby Obertan who has been lighting up this league since time immemorial and Jonjo Shelvey who is actually good.  It's not Shelveys experience or nationality that makes him the better player, it's his quality.

Buy quality English and on the whole you'll do well.  Buy quality forrins and on the whole you'll do well.  Buy shit of either and you'll be shit.

Yeah someone earlier mentioned it's not xenophobia to want more English people in the team but that's pretty much what it is if you just want them cause they're English.

Berahino has a lot of potential and has had one (?) good season scoring goals so I can see the logic of going for him. Townsend has done nothing and he's 24 so I can't see the logic in binning a younger player in Thauvin to sign Townsend when neither of the deals will be on our terms or in our favour. We'd be better off keeping Thauvin and actually fucking playing him. IMO he'd probably equal the 3 goals Townsend has scored in his career if given a *fair* chance in the next 10-15 games.

EDIT: doing the lad a disservice there, he's actually scored 5 goals for Spurs and QPR since 2009 plus a handful at lower league level.

While it's true that Thauvin hasn't had a proper chance, in the few games he's started he's been pretty gash. Gives up the ball too easily, doesn't defend with any effort, and hasn't created much. I'd like to say McClaren has been unfair, but I can't really blame him for not wanting to put someone on the pitch who might be a liability.

While it's true that Thauvin hasn't had a proper chance, in the few games he's started he's been pretty gash. Gives up the ball too easily, doesn't defend with any effort, and hasn't created much. I'd like to say McClaren has been unfair, but I can't really blame him for not wanting to put someone on the pitch who might be a liability.

We've literally only played well in about the last three games like, prior to that the team was an absolute disfunctional shambles so until he gets a proper run I think it's exceedingly harsh to judge and/or bin him on the chances he's had.

Everyone was fucking terrible bar Sissoko man.

Not keen on Townsend myself but I would bin this for the time being and concentrate on a striker as that is more of a priority to me.  We would be stupid to pay £14m for Townsend who even most pundits think is only worth half that and still has a lot to do to prove himself.  And it is not as if there is a bidding war going on as no-one else seems prepared to pay that amount. 

I am not certain where he would play as I can only recall him playing on the right (and I would be surprised to see Sissoko leave in this window although I expect him to go in the Summer) and for that money, you would expect a player to start every week.

Anyway giving Spurs the money they want would probably mean they would go and buy Berahino so they would stuff us over twice.

Not really. Just saying we might aswell have Obertan sitting on the bench and not playing because neither of those 2 would get into our team

Although either of those would actually provide an option from the bench and some sort of threat.  As oppose to Obertan, who sprints at defenders and then slows down, forgets to take the ball with him and constantly passes sideways and then stands still.  He's utterly useless to us, even on the bench.

Not really. Just saying we might aswell have Obertan sitting on the bench and not playing because neither of those 2 would get into our team

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be buying Townsend unless he was going to play most games.

He's on about Sinclair and Phillips TBF.

You're not thinking of Kevin Phillips are you? :p personally I'd be would like Matt Philips here. Very decent player imo. Alot of pace, van shoot, can cross, good age and very versatile. You're point still stands though as I have always thought he was a right winger or central player not left. Displacing sissoko won't happen.

Not a fan of Sinclair at all. Another that wasted their career and blew precious development to pick up a fat paycheck to meet man city's homegrown quota and rot on the bench. Looked the part for swansea, shame.

Worst first name in the squad when he joins.

Might be quite fitting as well.

http://www.bigcharlieandros.com/images/detail-andros-map-700px.gif

Penis shaped island?

Think you want to get yourself to the clinic.

What do you think about all this? I might have missed it if you posted earlier in the thread but I imagine you'd be pretty happy to get £10m plus for him.

Guest Roger Kint

People suggesting Sinclair or Phillips. I'd rather bring Obertan back into the fold than go for one of those.

Just so we are clear thats not Trevor and Kevin is it that you are confusing?