Chelsea 5-1 Newcastle United - 13/2/16 post match discontent from pg. 36

Greg

What does McClaren say before away games. We seem to take a totally different approach to the games. Even though it has never worked he Keeps sticking with it. He'll never even be a decent manager for us, even if he flukes keeping us up.

Im really not getting this. Bar the goals, we've not approached this anything like our recent away games. We've done s**** in defence & given the ball away. If anything we've been so exposed specifically because we're attacking more in this match.

We're trying to play the ball out slowly from the back and we're not looking to set up our attacks quickly. When Chelsea have the ball we sit off them and let their immensely talented players have space to run at us. Compare that to our home games where we aggressively press and seem to expend much more energy, it just seems like a different approach to me. Maybe I'm just frustrated with our crapness but that's how I feel about it today.

I'd argue that pressing against a team like Chelsea is near suicide for a team like ours. You saw how easily Willian turned Tiote for the 1st goal. They'd pass through our midfield for fun and put a shoddy defence under even more pressure. We're strong on the break; sitting a bit deeper, nullifying the pass in behind and countering quickly was the way to approach this imo.

Colback for Wijnaldum seems like a staggeringly bad substitution. I was struggling to get my head around why we'd try and shut Chelsea out when there was rumours he was going to be dropped but going defensively at 3-0 down while taking off our top goal scorer seems beyond bad.

Guest neesy111

What does McClaren say before away games. We seem to take a totally different approach to the games. Even though it has never worked he Keeps sticking with it. He'll never even be a decent manager for us, even if he flukes keeping us up.

Im really not getting this. Bar the goals, we've not approached this anything like our recent away games. We've done s**** in defence & given the ball away. If anything we've been so exposed specifically because we're attacking more in this match.

We're trying to play the ball out slowly from the back and we're not looking to set up our attacks quickly. When Chelsea have the ball we sit off them and let their immensely talented players have space to run at us. Compare that to our home games where we aggressively press and seem to expend much more energy, it just seems like a different approach to me. Maybe I'm just frustrated with our crapness but that's how I feel about it today.

I'd argue that pressing against a team like Chelsea is near suicide for a team like ours. You saw how easily Willian turned Tiote for the 1st goal. They'd pass through our midfield for fun and put a shoddy defence under even more pressure. We're strong on the break; sitting a bit deeper, nullifying the pass in behind and countering quickly was the way to approach this imo.

This.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/sharkeysend/hqdefault.jpg

"I couldn't have asked for any more from the lads, they performed heroically, we had some great possession, if we play like that for the remaining games we'll be fine... blah, blah, blah"

That image is the only time I've cracked a smile since before the match kicked off.