Martins on fire!

Dinho lad

The little fella is being bigged right up agian today and rightly so!!

:thup: :thup:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=watch-oba-go-now-says-shay%26method=full%26objectid=18243105%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Watch Oba go now says Shay

Dec 11 2006

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Shay Given has warned the Premiership to start fearing a rampant and exciting Obafemi Martins after his match-winning double in the 3-1 win at Blackburn Rovers.

Given has seen plenty to admire in the young Nigerian international since his £10m move from Inter Milan in the summer, but admitted he was concerned by his inability to transfer training ground promise into competitive performances.

After almost two-and-a-half months without a league goal, Given also suggested the 22-year-old had been growing gradually shorter on confidence as he tried to settle into English football.

But the Irish international, captain in the absence of Scott Parker, believes the Premiership is starting to get a true indication of his talent following his penalty against Reading last week and his expertly-taken two at Ewood Park on Saturday.

"His first goal was exactly what we've seen in training for quite a while now," said Given, who also played his part in an excellent win with an acrobatic late save to keep out Morten Gamst Pedersen's header. "His touch is phenomenal and his finish was past Brad (Friedel) before he had even moved. That's what he's capable of. His pace was electric and that was the reason Blackburn had a man sent off.

"The longer he went without scoring, the lower his confidence was probably going to go. That's just the way it is for strikers and I'm sure it's true of all of them.

"Now he's scored three goals in two games, I'm sure he's on a massive high. He's very difficult to defend against when he's playing like that because not only has he got the pace, he's also very powerful as well.

"Now, he's got the finisher's touch to go along with that and, when you put it all together, it's a pretty exciting package."

Given has seen plenty of foreign imports come to the North-East and struggle to acclimatise to the pace and physical nature of the Premiership, but he is confident Martins is getting to grips with his new life on Tyneside.

He added: "It was always going to be hard for him coming to a different league, especially because England is so different to Italy. He won't have been used to the hustle and bustle of the Premiership.

"It was always going to take him time - I think the gaffer has said that it could take him up to a year before he really hits peak form - and we have to be understanding of that.

"I think he's shown in the last couple of games that it's all starting to come together.

"We've all seen it in training, but it can only help that he's getting the goals on the pitch now as well. It was only a matter of time before that started to happen."

United's win lifted them above Blackburn into 14th place in the Premiership, five points clear of the bottom three they so recently occupied.

Given added: "We're buzzing and confidence is high. We're delighted with the result and it's been a great three or four days.

"I think we've only gone up one position, but I think we're only nine points off third. The league is that tight, it's been a big lift for everyone." Roeder was also thrilled by Martins' contribution and took a thinly-veiled swipe at those who have criticised the young Nigerian in recent weeks.

He said: "From day one at the training ground, we've seen him score spectacular goals. He does it with his right foot and his left foot, and the lads took to him straight away.

"He's a very good man to work with and, when we get a break from playing two games in a week, I'm looking forward to spending some more time with him on the training ground.

"I want to work with him on making his runs, because that's the only way we're going to get the best out of his pace.

"Because of injuries, he hasn't really been able to strike up a partnership with anybody. When that happens, and he gets used to living in his new environment of Newcastle, he will only get better and better."

AND

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=434430&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=2&title=Roeder+tips+Martins+to+shine

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder feels Obafemi Martins is ready to explode onto the Premiership.

The Nigerian has shown fleeting glimpses of his quality over the first few months of the season, but he served notice of his quality with a brace in the 2-1 win over Blackburn Rovers.

On both occasions, Martins demonstrated lightning pace and Roeder feels he has all the tools to be a major hit in the Premiership.

"I've warned people who have not been too complimentary about him to be careful because, when he comes good, he will score goals," said Roeder. "Come the end of the season, we will have seen plenty more from him.

"Since he returned from injury against Arsenal, when he frightened Toure and Gallas - the best defensive partnership in this league - with his pace, he has become better and better.

"He is like lightning and in those first 10 to 12 yards, he will leave most defenders behind.

"When we get a break from playing two games a week, it will be good to get him on the training ground and help get the best out of that pace.

"He's also not been able to strike up a partnership with anybody because of injuries so when that happens, and he gets used to the environment and high tempo of the Premiership, watch out."

From Sky Sports's "Best of the weekend";

Humble pie of the Weekend

Obafemi Martins

Don't worry Obafemi, this isn't some kind of football 'Bushtucker trial', it's us, the media, sat at the table this weekend. The Nigerian has had his critics all season but three goals in two games have been instrumental in Newcastle's mini-revival. Martins came with a big reputation, only now is it beginning to look justified.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=434276&CPID=8&clid=&lid=1490&title=Best+of+the+weekend 

:thup:

I'm backing him because I don't think he's an utter cunt. Every interview I've seen with him he's looked like a shy little bairn. I think he's definitely a confidence player, so needs a steady CF to play alongside.

I'm backing him because I don't think he's an utter c***. Every interview I've seen with him he's looked like a shy little bairn. I think he's definitely a confidence player, so needs a steady CF to play alongside.

His English is excellent, though.

I think he stuttured, only because it wasn't his best goal, which is what the lazy journo asked. What kind of question is that when the Levadia goal was equally as good, if not better?

I'm backing him because I don't think he's an utter c***. Every interview I've seen with him he's looked like a shy little bairn. I think he's definitely a confidence player, so needs a steady CF to play alongside.

His English is excellent, though.

I think he stuttured, only because it wasn't his best goal, which is what the lazy journo asked. What kind of question is that when the Levadia goal was equally as good, if not better?

Aye, stupid question. Wish he had the wit of Gordon Strachan to deliver an appropriately stupid answer.

Anal is a twat and writes utter bollocks!

Martins has started to do the tings he was lacking, like making runs instead

just of waiting for a ball to chase, in time he will learn to make not so many straight runs, but to run across a back

four in order to stay onaide.

He will finsish our top goal scorer this seaosn.  :thup:

Yes Martins is on fire now and he will show us Geordie faithful what he is capable of. However i am becoming increasingly annoyed because people suggest that his transfer was controversial because of his so called age discrepency, and although i think he is 22 it annoys me when other people suggest hes older and i think this is a reason why he has found it harder to settle because of all this fuss.

Finally showing all that Football Manager promise :)

This is blatantly knee-jerk, but I could see this being a 15-goal season for Martins.

Go Oba!

Never at any point did i expect one... but if he doesn't score 15+ goals now (considering what's left of the season) i'll be disappointed!

He's having a good season - no doubt. Awesome player.

Guest Deep456

Basically I want 15+goals from him this season in the premiership. Another 11 goals to go in 22 games.

Don't want much do you? :roll:

You think that's alot quite frankly I don't. A striker at Newcastle should be getting a goal every 2 games. I admit he has come to a different league but he has now found his feet now it's time to produce.

Because Bellamy was scoring a goal every 2 games for us? He was cr8p though wasnt he? bluewink.gif

Yes, but Bellamy was scoring 1 every 3 games. So in 22 games Martins should get 7 more that's 11. Why not 15 then I ask?

Because thats 4 more bluewink.gif why shouldn't he get 20? Only 5 more than 15.

Hey you still think the 15 I set him this season is still really hard quite frankly I was on the ball again.

Still no reply?

Knee jerk tastic.

What you on about? Can't people give credit where its due anymore?

He has a thing about "knee jerk reactions" was on about us having a go at Blackburn's dirtiness yesterday too. :dontknow: :roll:

What I was saying was the double standards from the majority, no one complained when we done exactly the same to Arsenal last season did they?