Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Surely the only way he'll stay is if the entire board is removed?

Sure I read that Benitez would be taking McClaren's place at the end of the season if we'd stayed up?

Yes Rafa said that himself.

A 3-0 home win over Everton on Wednesday ensured Premier League survival for the mackems - and means that both Norwich City and Newcastle United will be joining Aston Villa in the Championship next season.

The Toffees fell behind to a goal from ex-Magpie defender Patrick van Aanholt and quickly conceded twice more to put us out of our misery before this Sunday's season-closer against Spurs at SJP.

With the relegation threat that has been a constant this season (we've not been higher than fifteenth since August) now a reality, attention now turns to who will be the manager next August when United line up against Burton, Blackburn, Brentford or whoever.

For all the optimistic press claims this week about an infatuated Rafa Benitez remaining at SJP regardless of the league they're in, the question of whether he'll actually be asked to do so hasn't been mentioned.

The so-called "break clause" works both ways and United can opt to show him the door - a seemingly bonkers strategy, but one that's only too believable given the club's "best pound for pound value" mantra and the key positions held by footballing pygmies.

Discontent among supporters has been kept in check solely by the installation of Benitez and the rapport he's established allied to the respect he already had.

That he's similar to a Keegan or a Robson figure in credibility and trustworthiness seems to be a widely held view - but beyond him lies nothing.

Only Rafa's presence has kept total disillusionment at bay and given fans a hint of something positive and tangible when considering the future - that someone with the requisite skills and knowledge was actually prepared to come here and sort these bastards out.

Let him walk and you have nowhere left to turn - and a vacancy that only a madman or a bluffer would consider. We've employed enough of both already, which is why relegation is completely deserved.

It remains to be seen whether Mike Ashley shows his face on Sunday and if so, whether he'll reprise his live TV interview taking responsibility for the endless lunacy of this football club - and mean it this time.

Good piece on .com.

I'd rather this was confirmed either way before the weekend.  Can't he arsed with dragging it out any longer.

It needs doing ASAP like. Rafa will have no desire to drag it out like if he plans on understandably legging it.

Have no doubt the club want to keep him tbh. Down to Rafa and wouldn't blame him one bit if he leaves.

The perfect way to quell unrest is to get Rafa sorted for next season now, cynical i know but it would go along way to ease fears. Getting it done and putting it of the front page of the match programme for Sunday would be clever.

Of course we won't as we are too stupid of a club to do that.

I'm sure as he sleeps alone tonight in his house in Newcastle while his family are on Merseyside he'll be strongly deliberating staying and managing in the championship.

His wife might be up here with him.  :lol:

For what it matters work has started on the new training ground, Rafa was supposed to have insisted that work gets started instead of waiting to see which league we will be in next season.

And he might not want to.

That is the big thing, i think we'll throw whatever Rafa wants at him, money, control, transfers, the whole shebang.

It really is down to whether Rafa fancies it or not.

If he's staying, he'll tell us tomorrow. If he's going, he'll be professional until after the Spurs game.

Nothing would stop him tomorrow saying that he'd like to stay but it's down to the club.

I don't agree, if he is staying he'll play hard to get until he gets everything he wants and I don't blame him because I would do the same.

Yeah, the club have given the impression that talks won't start until the end of the season, whether that's their decision or Rafa's is unknown, but I wouldn't expect anything from him from his press conference for the Spurs game.

It's not just about being manager though he needs to know he has full control and he won't know that till after the season has ended.

My guess is we'll go cheap and cheerful again  :rant:

To have full control, would Charnley and Carr not need to effectively sack themselves? Really can't see that happening.

There will be some serious renegotiation of terms if he is to stay after a relegation. Rafa would be crazy to show his hand so soon. Plus, speaking now could mean making a promise that would turn out to be impossible to keep.

It's not just about being manager though he needs to know he has full control and he won't know that till after the season has ended.

My guess is we'll go cheap and cheerful again  :rant:

To have full control, would Charnley and Carr not need to effectively sack themselves? Really can't see that happening.

Not really, Rafa tells Carr to go where Rafa wants him to, to look at players Rafa tells him to.

Charnley, pays whatever price Rafa tells him to for the players Rafa wants.

Or the pair of fucktards get sacked by Ashley, which doesn't seem like it will happen.