Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest neesy111

Utter crap the spending in January excuses.

Townsend would not have dropped down. And Fat Sam didnt want to lose any players.

Need to stop the poor excuses. We should have been coping well with this squad. Worse case scenario recall some loan players that we sent out.

Err was reported he told us he wanted to come back mind.

Not sure how much big Sam wanted him at the start given he didn't say definitively he wasn't for sale and given we are buying from Jordan not and not big Sam it's a moot point.

Not a poor excuse at all, we've got a lot of areas which needing improving and which he wanted to improve and the manager wasn't backed because Ashley would rather gamble.

Speculation :rolleyes:

Indeed backed up with some reporting unlike the pure conjecture I quoted.

And to clarify no speculation at all in regards to Rafa wanting at least two players in January.

So bring me physical quotes that Townsend wanted to come back.

Allardyce did us a kipper and got another revenge on Ashley.  It's our stupid fault for putting every egg in 1 basket.

I want to know why there were so many changes, why we were so lacklustre and low on quality and effort, why he thought those subs made sense and what he's going to do about our form which has us nosediving into the playoffs as things stand. All valid criticisms IMO.

The problem is however that this goes beyond purely today's game and there's a more valid criticism of the way we've been playing for months now, even though you've been insisting on here that we've been playing well. Our modus operandi is attempting to grind out narrow results, in a way that more often than not has had me either bored fucking shitless or frustrated and on the edge of my seat.

There's only so much you can do with a rigid system lacking width or movement, and relying on a prolific striker and a watertight defence. This has finally blown up in our faces as the pressure of the season has cranked up, but honestly it's been threatening for a while.

There's an argument to be made that we lack the personnel to play a more expansive way, and I am inclined to agree with that, as I posted on here a couple of weeks ago. I don't however thing that a rigid 4-2-3-1 is the ONLY fucking option we have. Rafa has been taking the piss with his stubbornness and way of playing and honestly if we do end up not going up there has to be serious questions asked of his position. That said, that's IF we don't go up.

I don't believe I've been claiming we've been playing well carte blanche, think that's a bit unfair. We've been noticeably worse this side of Christmas. Difference is I've been able to separate the performances from the results which in general have been more than adequate or we wouldn't still be in an automatic promotion spot. Results are all that matters this season and next, particularly if we're planning on building something long term with Benitez. We just need to go up and stay up in the short term.

Everyone wants better football, and I've no doubt the manager is included in that.

Not carte blanche, but I do think you have been a bit blinded in trying to see good performances where they haven't been. Citing match stats and the likes. Also a way of counteracting forum negativity, admittedly.

The problem with looking at results in isolation, and ignoring the trend of performances, is that it catches up with teams. I've been saying this since the turn of the year, but admittedly thought we'd gotten away with it after he rope-a-doped those two games at Brighton and Huddersfield. After those games Rafa looked like the kind of genius he did in Europe between 2004 and 2008. Instead things have got even worse since then. I'm very worried about the last few games, because to turn it on like a tap especially now the pressure is on is not an easy thing. It's very much touch and go for us now.

Our modus operandi isn't to grind out results, we'll have approached this game the same way we did Leeds and previously QPR.

We're just not 'that good'.

Totally disagree. He's been playing to eek out results for a long time now.

If we'd signed some new players I'd find it much easier to join in with criticism of Benitez. The cunts running the club took an unnecessary risk yet again, I'll never get behind their decision making when it comes to ignoring the manager regarding the needs of the squad. Any manager, but particularly this one.

Townsend would not have dropped down. And Fat Sam didnt want to lose any players.

Need to stop the poor excuses. We should have been coping well with this squad. Worse case scenario recall some loan players that we sent out.

Not sure how much big Sam wanted him at the start given he didn't say definitively he wasn't for sale and given we are buying from Jordan not and not big Sam it's a moot point.

Not a poor excuse at all, we've got a lot of areas which needing improving and which he wanted to improve and the manager wasn't backed because Ashley would rather gamble.

And to clarify no speculation at all in regards to Rafa wanting at least two players in January.

So bring me physical quotes that Townsend wanted to come back.

Allardyce did us a kipper and got another revenge on Ashley.  It's our stupid fault for putting every egg in 1 basket.

You know I don't have them but you read the same reports I did at the time so...

And of course it's Ashley's fault that's my point we should have backed the manager and we didn't Townsend or no Townsend.

Big Sam came out in an interview after the window closed that Townsend was never for sale in January. Was after the game he came on as a late sub and set up the winner.

Big Sam came out in an interview after the window closed that Townsend was never for sale in January. Was after the game he came on as a late sub and set up the winner.

Said it when the window was practically closed then.

He was far less committal prior to that.

Either way it's history which is biting us in the ass.

Guest neesy111

Because he was playing us.  [emoji38]

If we'd signed some new players I'd find it much easier to join in with criticism of Benitez. The c***s running the club took an unnecessary risk yet again, I'll never get behind their decision making when it comes to ignoring the manager regarding the needs of the squad. Any manager, but particularly this one.

Good point. I think at this stage in the season, especially with the way results are going, it can be easy to forget that Rafa was screwed over in the transfer window.

If we'd signed some new players I'd find it much easier to join in with criticism of Benitez. The c***s running the club took an unnecessary risk yet again, I'll never get behind their decision making when it comes to ignoring the manager regarding the needs of the squad. Any manager, but particularly this one.

Same could be said for the summer transfer window though. He was given more resources than any of our challengers and he didn't use those resources to full effect. The signings of Lazaar, Sels and Hanley cost us a combined 13m. 13m that should have been spent on a #10 to balance out the squad. Maybe that's why they didn't back him in Janauary. Either way he's struggling and has been since the start of the season.

I don't know what it is, but I don't think his tactics have changed too much. We were completely dominating games before December. Now we just look utter shit.

Maybe he's panicked and is becoming more concervative but we fucked Leeds senseless for about 75 minutes a few days ago, I just cannot see him looking at that and changing his approach 3 days later. It's pretty clear teams no longer fear us like they did last year and, unless we're at our absolute best, we just look easily matched on the field.

“I am concerned about the change of the team, in terms of the performance against Leeds and then our performance today," said United manager Benitez. "That is the only thing I am thinking about. We know that we have to win games to do our job, so we will have to change and improve a lot. “We knew it could be this kind of game today. I thought that we were ready, but it seems that we were not. "We were not focused and mentally ready. When we were reacting, we scored the goal, and it seemed that we had more control of the game, but then we made another mistake. "We are making some mistakes, and we are paying for that."

Same could be said for the summer transfer window though. He was given more resources than any of our challengers and he didn't use those resources to full effect. The signings of Lazaar, Sels and Hanley cost us a combined 13m. 13m that should have been spent on a #10 to balance out the squad. Maybe that's why they didn't back him in Janauary. Either way he's struggling and has been since the start of the season.

What utter shite.

Was just about to send a detailed response until I realised who the poster was.

Good point. I think at this stage in the season, especially with the way results are going, it can be easy to forget that Rafa was screwed over in the transfer window.

Ashley sticking his nose in at that stage definitely seems to have upset the equilibrium within the club.

Was just about to send a detailed response until I realised who the poster was.

A bit harsh, Dave isn't that bad.

Our modus operandi isn't to grind out results, we'll have approached this game the same way we did Leeds and previously QPR.

We're just not 'that good'.

Totally disagree. He's been playing to eek out results for a long time now.

This. It seems like the manager and the players have pooped their pants.

I don't know what it is, but I don't think his tactics have changed too much. We were completely dominating games before December. Now we just look utter s***.

Maybe he's panicked and is becoming more concervative but we f***ed Leeds senseless for about 75 minutes a few days ago, I just cannot see him looking at that and changing his approach 3 days later. It's pretty clear teams no longer fear us like they did last year and, unless we're at our absolute best, we just look easily matched on the field.

I think it's as simple as Gayle & Shelvey disruptions, tbh. Clarke now missing is also a big blow.

Guest ElCid

Yes he should of been backed but let's not forget he has spent 50 million which is crazy amount for the Championship. The problem is the formation, team selection and tactics are not right and have not been for months so yes criticism and questioning are justified.

I want to know why there were so many changes, why we were so lacklustre and low on quality and effort, why he thought those subs made sense and what he's going to do about our form which has us nosediving into the playoffs as things stand. All valid criticisms IMO.

The problem is however that this goes beyond purely today's game and there's a more valid criticism of the way we've been playing for months now, even though you've been insisting on here that we've been playing well. Our modus operandi is attempting to grind out narrow results, in a way that more often than not has had me either bored fucking shitless or frustrated and on the edge of my seat.

There's only so much you can do with a rigid system lacking width or movement, and relying on a prolific striker and a watertight defence. This has finally blown up in our faces as the pressure of the season has cranked up, but honestly it's been threatening for a while.

There's an argument to be made that we lack the personnel to play a more expansive way, and I am inclined to agree with that, as I posted on here a couple of weeks ago. I don't however think that a rigid 4-2-3-1 is the ONLY fucking option we have. Rafa has been taking the piss with his stubbornness and way of playing and honestly if we do end up not going up there has to be serious questions asked of his position. That said, that's IF we don't go up.

Rafa is stealing his wage at this moment in time. Agree with pretty much all that was posted. The football is shite and now results are matching performance.

That was embarrassing today.

Yes he should of been backed but let's not forget he has spent 50 million which is crazy amount for the Championship. The problem is the formation, team selection and tactics are not right and have not been for months so yes criticism and questioning are justified.

We sold all our best players and walked away with a 30 million profit.

Imagine where we would be if we didn't replace anyone.

Guest neesy111

We sold all our best players and walked away with a 30 million profit.

Imagine where we would be if we didn't replace anyone.

Very close to administration.