Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Mirror reckons:

The Spaniard expected to be handed a far bigger budget to spend on new players following promotion, but owner Mike Ashley is unhappy over massive wages being paid to players who are not in the manager’s plans.

He should be furious with himself then for backing Carr and creating the transfer policy that has caused us to have a load of rubbish on the books that we can't shift.

Do you reckon he should be furious with himself then for backing Carr and creating the transfer policy that has caused us to have a load of rubbish on the books that we can't shift?

Thinking you're seeing double mate, I'd see an optician.

Do you reckon he should be furious with himself then for backing Carr and creating the transfer policy that has caused us to have a load of rubbish on the books that we can't shift?

x3

To break up the will he won't he drama, this is the most organised I've ever seen and am likely to see NUFC. Based on the pre-season stuff I've caught so far it looks as though we've gone up another level in terms of working as a mesh of tactical units. It's pretty impressive stuff considering the dross I've watched week in week out for most of my life.

Yup. It might be "boring and functional" to some, but at least we get to watch a group of players who know what they are doing. The possession patterns and the movement off the ball when we don't have it is very good to see compared to the clueless crap we've been served up for the past 10 odd years.

I don't think it's boring at all, it's quite refreshing to see us with a plan, closing down, working the opposition, patient passing, using wings effectively and creating patterns of play.

I have watched first half from yesterday and despite quality of opposition we look in really good shape thankfully. Whether we have enough quality will soon be tested I suppose. Maybe need 2-3 more players

Ironically, if he'd stumped up for Carr's first choices, we wouldn't be stuck with dead weight on high wages we can't shift. Just when you think the penny might have dropped, he does it all over again.

what are we saying here, people still twitching about rafa bailing?  not feeling it myself at all

he seems happy, team are looking well drilled and new lads settling in, i think he'll be happy enough atm if a bit frustrated but i've always been of the opinion he'd view this as a long term project and it would be incredibly pissy of him to throw it so soon given the way the market has gone this summer

decent season this time and another year worth of dirty money then we should see things start to happen, fees might level out a bit as well in that time :yao:

Guest ElCid

what are we saying here, people still twitching about rafa bailing?  not feeling it myself at all

he seems happy, team are looking well drilled and new lads settling in, i think he'll be happy enough atm if a bit frustrated but i've always been of the opinion he'd view this as a long term project and it would be incredibly pissy of him to throw it so soon given the way the market has gone this summer

decent season this time and another year worth of dirty money then we should see things start to happen, fees might level out a bit as well in that time :yao:

One problem with your scenario is that this owner will never change and progress this club the way it should be. I'm surprised Rafa has not walked already and that's probably down to the loyalty he feels towards the fans. This current squad will struggle to stay up next year and I just can't see the investment being made to change that.

agree to extent.

the way the market is we cant buy the 10/10 players.

I think Rafa wanted players around 6-7/10 and he can work with.

Ashley wants to buy at the level of 1/10.

Guest chopey

It sounds like some of his frustration is the lack of any progress trying to shoehorn players out of the club

I definitely don't think he'll walk, part of me reckons he loves the boardroom politics and unless there's a substantially better offer from an English club he'll continue to enjoy the adulation coming from the stands and city. He wants to be here and we're in the Premier League.

What this year including January has shown though is that the club haven't turned any corners, they're still playing silly buggers behind the scenes, lying, breaking promises, interfering and just generally thinking they know better than even such a high calibre manager with a wealth of experience. It really is Keegan all over again.

I don't believe we're at breaking point or anything close to it but I think I'll always feel like we're on borrowed time under this tenure.

Richardson was one of the bullshitters who jumped on the Grosicki bandwagon before Caulkin said they were all full of s***. There's no way Rafa is "close" to that mess.

Hardy and Caulkin the only two worth listening to.

:thup:

I definitely don't think he'll walk, part of me reckons he loves the boardroom politics and unless there's a substantially better offer from an English club he'll continue to enjoy the adulation coming from the stands and city. He wants to be here and we're in the Premier League.

What this year including January has shown though is that the club haven't turned any corners, they're still playing silly buggers behind the scenes, lying, breaking promises, interfering and just generally thinking they know better than even such a high calibre manager with a wealth of experience. It really is Keegan all over again.

I don't believe we're at breaking point or anything close to it but I think I'll always feel like we're on borrowed time under this tenure.

Agree with most of that but don't think he'll love anything about the current boardroom politics.  Rafa seems to be a less edgy character than he was at Liverpool, he wants to continue his project here and safeguard our PL future.  One of his last priorities will be boardroom wrangling.  Arguably he isn't being allowed to do what he wants, he's kept up his side of the bargain and it appears the club haven't kept theirs, he's clearly f***** off by it.

Agree with most of that but don't think he'll love anything about the current boardroom politics.  Rafa seems to be a less edgy character than he was at Liverpool, he wants to continue his project here and safeguard our PL future.  One of his last priorities will be boardroom wrangling.  Arguably he isn't being allowed to do what he wants, he's kept up his side of the bargain and it appears the club haven't kept theirs, he's clearly f***** off by it.

I only say that based on what he's dealt with at his previous clubs and the fact he didn't walk out of those. The Liverpool fan on here was quite certain he wouldn't walk, same as Jamie Carragher. Maybe love is too strong a term, but he's certainly not averse to having an internal battle. We're perhaps more edgy than we should be, because of how Keegan felt he had to leave and because Rafa is basically as good as it gets for a club like this.