Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Tonight's team, formation and attitude was virtually no different to what we saw a dozen times last season.

Slow, predictable, defensive and conservative. No variation, no urgency and no drive from any of the players picked. We got away with it last season purely because we had the odd player here and there who would do something to win it but when you take that quality out the result is dreadful.

The formation was wretched tonight, I know 4-2-3-1 is Rafa's formation but, just as last season, there's no changing it regardless of opposition or how it's doing on the day. We're predictable and he's stubborn. They basically played around us at times, their touch, passing and enthusiasm tonight put us to shame, they got around us and behind us at will in the first half and it was embarrassing to have to sit through. I've got no problem with sitting 2 in front of a flat back 4 if it meant we were compact and hard to break down but we don't even get that. It's the worst of both worlds, they can't protect or destroy and they're always too deep to create anything.

Tonight was a major wake up call, the mood on and off the pitch is vile and it doesn't seem to be shifting. This will get worse before it gets better too, we all know it's coming to a head and I'd take 17th now quite happily. I'm fucking down man.  :(

The only wake up call people need is around the whole Mike Ashley ownership of us.  He's strangling the growth of the football club by trying to control the way people see us and what should be our targets.

The only thing Rafa is guilty of is trying to make the club the best it can be. That goes completely against the Ashley grain. 

Tonight's team, formation and attitude was virtually no different to what we saw a dozen times last season.

Slow, predictable, defensive and conservative. No variation, no urgency and no drive from any of the players picked. We got away with it last season purely because we had the odd player here and there who would do something to win it but when you take that quality out the result is dreadful.

The formation was wretched tonight, I know 4-2-3-1 is Rafa's formation but, just as last season, there's no changing it regardless of opposition or how it's doing on the day. We're predictable and he's stubborn. They basically played around us at times, their touch, passing and enthusiasm tonight put us to shame, they got around us and behind us at will in the first half and it was embarrassing to have to sit through. I've got no problem with sitting 2 in front of a flat back 4 if it meant we were compact and hard to break down but we don't even get that. It's the worst of both worlds, they can't protect or destroy and they're always too deep to create anything.

Tonight was a major wake up call, the mood on and off the pitch is vile and it doesn't seem to be shifting. This will get worse before it gets better too, we all know it's coming to a head and I'd take 17th now quite happily. I'm f***ing down man.  :(

Totally spot on the standard of players we have is worrying and the signings so far this season are in the main squad players at best. Unless there is serious money spent this club will be playing Championship football in 12 months. You have to have the right players for this formation and we certainly don't

I think it is fair to say Rafa doesn't mind losing in order to make a statement "give me funds or I will guide this team to relegate."

I can't see Ashley bows down though.  He may just keep the money and prepare for relegation.

Tonight was a major wake up call, the mood on and off the pitch is vile and it doesn't seem to be shifting. This will get worse before it gets better too, we all know it's coming to a head and I'd take 17th now quite happily. I'm f***ing down man.  :(

All of the above. This 4231 is so negative and boring and more importantly it doesn't work with the players we have. At the moment it's a race between Rafa walking and the fat twat sacking him if he can be bothered. The club doesn't deserve Rafa and we the supporters deserve some hope and  to be entertained, as it is it's boring and we are losing. Nobody deserves Ashley but until SJP has less than 30k in every week and we can start to embarrass both him and Sky he stays.

He needs to take responsibility for his signings which are the reason he quite obviously isn't trusted by the people who control the purse strings. Maybe if he didn't waste money (wages and transfer fees) on Sels, Diame, Lazaar, Gamez and Hanley, the club, just maybe, would be willing to speculate a little more transfer wise.

He needs to take responsibility for his signings which are the reason he quite obviously isn't trusted by the people who control the purse strings. Maybe if he didn't waste money (wages and transfer fees) on Sels, Diame, Lazaar, Gamez and Hanley, the club, just maybe, would be willing to speculate a little more transfer wise.

Good to have you back :lol:

Sels and Lazaar obviously didn't work out but Hanley, Gamez and Diame were bought to get promotion and act as cover for the first team.  Alright, ultimately we didn't really need to use Hanley or Gamez that much but they did a job and earned promotion.  I'd much rather have them and not need them than not have them and end up short if injuries or suspensions didn't go our way.

God, I really can't understand how people can get on Rafa's back due to our awful start. Yes, it's been an awful start but it's happened because Rafa hasn't been backed and his plans have been shredded to pieces ever since the summer began. The man was so dedicated to the club and wanted to get us prepared early for this season that he didn't even go on holiday to get deals done. That f***ing t*** Pardew was enjoying his holidays by watching the F1 in Monaco during the summer and came back to the club to spout his usual, "couldn't get the deal over line' bullshit when we ultimately failed to get decent players in at the end of the window. Rafa has been an ultimate professional in managing the side and the politics that comes with it and having a fat f***ing c*** as his boss.

The club really needs Rafa to stick with us more than he needs us to be honest. The club and the city has been in such a better state ever since he's been here. Even when things got tough last season and now, the majority of fans are behind him and the team and against Ashley. I could not see anyone else who can replace and be in the position that Rafa is with the supporters right now. It was a miracle he came to us in the first place, and even bigger miracle he stayed with us after relegation. Once he goes, this club will DEFINITELY be down with no way coming back up to its feet for a very long, long time.

God, I really can't understand how people can get on Rafa's back due to our awful start. Yes, it's been an awful start but it's happened because Rafa hasn't been backed and his plans have been shredded to pieces ever since the summer began. The man was so dedicated to the club and wanted to get us prepared early for this season that he didn't even go on holiday to get deals done. That f***ing t*** Pardew was enjoying his holidays by watching the F1 in Monaco during the summer and came back to the club to spout his usual, "couldn't get the deal over line' bullshit when we ultimately failed to get decent players in at the end of the window. Rafa has been an ultimate professional in managing the side and the politics that comes with it and having a fat f***ing c*** as his boss.

The club really needs Rafa to stick with us more than he needs us to be honest. The club and the city has been in such a better state ever since he's been here. Even when things got tough last season and now, the majority of fans are behind him and the team and against Ashley. I could not see anyone else who can replace and be in the position that Rafa is with the supporters right now. It was a miracle he came to us in the first place, and even bigger miracle he stayed with us after relegation. Once he goes, this club will DEFINITELY be down with no way coming back up to its feet for a very long, long time.

All of the above is true but ultimately what difference does it make whether Rafa stays or not? We aren't going to win the league, in fact with the state of our squad and the lack of investment we are more likely to go straight back down. Which leaves two cups we could try to win, one which we just fucked off with that horrible team that got put out. So that only leaves entertainment, I'd settle for an attack minded team even if it ended in a glorious failure, instead we have some inflexible percentage defensive crap that is terrible to watch.

All of the above is true but ultimately what difference does it make whether Rafa stays or not? We aren't going to win the league, in fact with the state of our squad and the lack of investment we are more likely to go straight back down. Which leaves two cups we could try to win, one which we just f***ed off with that horrible team that got put out. So that only leaves entertainment, I'd settle for an attack minded team even if it ended in a glorious failure, instead we have some inflexible percentage defensive crap that is terrible to watch.

Of course, every fan would want us to be an attack minded team but is there any guarantee we would get that if Rafa is gone? It could be even worse. We could  get humiliated on a weekly basis with some other f***ing mate of Ashley, in charge of such a crap squad that we have. How can we even have an entertaining team to attack when we aren't even able to get players of that calibere to the club?

All of the above is true but ultimately what difference does it make whether Rafa stays or not? We aren't going to win the league, in fact with the state of our squad and the lack of investment we are more likely to go straight back down. Which leaves two cups we could try to win, one which we just f***ed off with that horrible team that got put out. So that only leaves entertainment, I'd settle for an attack minded team even if it ended in a glorious failure, instead we have some inflexible percentage defensive crap that is terrible to watch.

:thup: was always going to be this way with Rafa. The fact the 'system over style' stuff is served up by someone with such good values makes the difference for me. Proud to have him; isn't ever going to reach Keegan or Robson levels of entertainment.

Guest neesy111

If he stays we'll stay up quite easily IMO.

Not sure how you can come to that definitive conclusion based on our start and shambles of a squad.

Guest neesy111

If he stays we'll stay up quite easily IMO.

With the squad we've got now? Nee way are we staying up comfortably.

Ian thinks Shelvey is a top 4 player mind.

In regards to people being upset with Rafa (probably trying to make a point) last night. Wasn't he a bit like this with Liverpool with Hicks and Gillet?

Can Wacko or anyone that remembers tell us about how he behaved at Liverpool during that time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think peoples meltdown gets to me more than anything. I do feel it's time to stick with the players. If we turn on them, well that's curtains, they will never recover.

I'm not saying it would be the fans fault if we went down. I'm just saying that wr can play our part in keeping them up.

Remain calm, for now.

I think peoples meltdown gets to me more than anything. I do feel it's time to stick with the players. If we turn on them, well that's curtains, they will never recover.

I'm not saying it would be the fans fault if we went down. I'm just saying that wr can play our part in keeping them up.

Remain calm, for now.

Correct, no coincidence that Rafa talks about this in nearly every single interview.

Guest neesy111

The manager can only do so much, the squad is poor and lacks goals.

Defensively we are making too many errors for my liking, if we don't keep a clean sheet on Saturday that would be poor return by use defensively to have no clean sheets considering the opposition we've played imo.