Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I suppose it's positive that these rumours are even doing the rounds, rather than about him being unimpressed with the club as a whole and its potential. I'm dubious about how long that feeling can last though, knowing what we do about these pricks. Rate him or not, they still messed McClaren around and made his job more difficult. It's just what they do.

Aye, that's the other worry. There's no guarantee they won't go for the cheap option or put him off the club somehow.

Reckon it will be Charnley's decision not Ashleys, whatever that means.

Me neither,but I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

Ashley knows relegation would bring a huge s*** storm his way. His only trump card to keep the fans happy is Rafa.

They've proved time and time again that they'll be more than willing to watch any old s**** in absolute silence whilst paying through the nose for the privilege. 

I'd also think the Wongaloids would gulp down the preferred media partner propaganda about how Rafa's inexperience in relegation battles is what took us down and his inexperience in the championship would stop us coming back up. Or, Ashley wouldn't give a s*** about the fans, as per.

Why do people say stuff like this? :lol: Yet to come across a single person who isn't fully supportive of Benitez or unaware that he's been brought in far too late.

Because they'll change their minds if he leaves. For a lot of our fans, whatever the club does is absolutely the right decision, no matter what. Why do I have to explain this?

Because you're talking shit? Non of the fans i know that go to games believes this, quite the opposite in fact.

:lol: 'Why do I have to explain my baseless claims?' Not even sure who 'they' are. This place has fabricated the 'wongaloids' and now this group is somehow representative of anyone who attends a match. Very weird.

I was asking why I had to explain the concept that plenty of fans will back the club whatever they do. I've spoken to plenty and read their views, that's no more baseless than you or Mick saying otherwise. I have mentioned match goers, like. You do realise that fans saying 'I don't back the club whatever they do' and actually doing it in hindsight aren't mutually exclusive, don't you?

Me neither,but I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

Ashley knows relegation would bring a huge s*** storm his way. His only trump card to keep the fans happy is Rafa.

They've proved time and time again that they'll be more than willing to watch any old s**** in absolute silence whilst paying through the nose for the privilege. 

I'd also think the Wongaloids would gulp down the preferred media partner propaganda about how Rafa's inexperience in relegation battles is what took us down and his inexperience in the championship would stop us coming back up. Or, Ashley wouldn't give a s*** about the fans, as per.

Why do people say stuff like this? :lol: Yet to come across a single person who isn't fully supportive of Benitez or unaware that he's been brought in far too late.

Because they'll change their minds if he leaves. For a lot of our fans, whatever the club does is absolutely the right decision, no matter what. Why do I have to explain this?

Because you're talking s***? Non of the fans i know that go to games believes this, quite the opposite in fact.

What's your point?

The bit in bold is crap and you know it. No idea why people on here pretend to believe this stuff.

I obviously don't agree Mick, or I wouldn't have said it. You're a long way from convincing me otherwise. All you've said is that you haven't spoken to any of them, it proves nothing. Again, I didn't mention match going fans.

You only have to look at the way NUFC do PR to know that Ashley's grubby mitts are still all over the day to day running of the football club.

He's not there every day but his influence clearly is. Charnley obviously has a clear brief to run the club in line with MA's requirements. I should imagine they're fairly whimsical too given he's a power mad, control freak.

You'd have to rip up the whole ethos and he'd have to stay the fuck out of it for it to be a success under Rafa, in any league.

I don't think there's a cat in hells chance.

You only have to look at the way NUFC do PR to know that Ashley's grubby mitts are still all over the day to day running of the football club.

He's not there every day but his influence clearly is. Charnley obviously has a clear brief to run the club in line with MA's requirements. I should imagine they're fairl;y whimsical too given he's a power mad, control freak.

You'd have to rip up the whole ethos and he'd have to stay the fuck out of it for it to be a success under Rafa, in any league.

This is my (ever cynical) thinking. I have every confidence Rafa is an honest man but he's subject to the whims of liars and madmen.

He's not there every day but his influence clearly is. Charnley obviously has a clear brief to run the club in line with MA's requirements. I should imagine they're fairl;y whimsical too given he's a power mad, control freak.

This is my (ever cynical) thinking. I have every confidence Rafa is an honest man but he's subject to the whims of liars and madmen.

If Mike Ashley does not recognise that nothing at the club is working other than the exposure for his shop (which will now be much reduced) then he never will.  Having Rafa here gives the club a huge opportunity to stop the rot and turn themselves into a proper football club again and they would be stupid to ignore it.

I don't think any of the other suggested managerial options have the same potential to rebuild a club from top to bottom.

Obviously his wages would be a problem with the Fair Play restrictions in the Championship but I would rather we sold a player purely to fund those wages than lose Rafa.

I just hope that if Rafa leaves that it is his decision rather than the club's.  it would be heartbreaking if he wanted to stay and the club decided not to keep him.

I hope they don't listen to the cheaper and moronic championship experience argument.

You're talking about a bloke who appointed Joe Kinnear twice. He's appointed a paper shuffling yes man to run the club on a day to day basis and had no plan B for Alan fucking Pardew.

That's a big ask.

If Mike Ashley does not recognise that nothing at the club is working other than the exposure for his shop (which will now be much reduced) then he never will.  Having Rafa here gives the club a huge opportunity to stop the rot and turn themselves into a proper football club again and they would be stupid to ignore it.

I don't think any of the other suggested managerial options have the same potential to rebuild a club from top to bottom.

Obviously his wages would be a problem with the Fair Play restrictions in the Championship but I would rather we sold a player purely to fund those wages than lose Rafa.

I just hope that if Rafa leaves that it is his decision rather than the club's.  it would be heartbreaking if he wanted to stay and the club decided not to keep him.

That's basically what I think.

How much is Rafa's salary?

If that's paid off by half of a Janmaat/Sissoko sale, he'll be worth every penny in the Championship. Should be a no-brainer.

Rumoured to be 75% of what Shelvey's is!

Considering how much money we've lost under the cheap manager option, I would have thought it was a bit of a no brainer to pay more for someone who will actually grow the club and make it much more viable as a business within a year or two. I still think Rafa would stay if he's convinced the board are prepared to give him full control. It's only the release clause which keeps some doubt in the back of my mind, but that was always likely to be part of the deal considering our position at the time.

I haven't seen obvious change in transfer policy.

True, weve been spending 80M every season since Ashley took over.

On English players :lol:

I don't see the 80m panic spend as a policy change per se. The funds available and transfer policy aren't the same thing. We're still going for the same deals that don't address the imbalance the team. Fed up of hearing about this 80m. It'll be chump change in a few years within the prem and the club makes significant profits each year. The English players thing; I was impressed by the Shelvey signing and Townsend has a goal in him, don't really care about English players though and that seems to be the reason they were signed over needs elsewhere. I get the policy change argument; but McClaren still had little say and acquisitions were still based on Carrs little list of favours and ultimately have been our downfall this season. It's hardly been a case of but things have been so different? How did it go so wrong?

Don't think anyone believes our transfer policy has altered beyond all recognition, just that their have been obvious changes, and their have been.  Unfortunately the biggest similarity to previous windows is still there.  Which is leaving too many glaring gaps in the side.

If Rafa stays, I couldn't give a single f*** who he decides to keep or get rid of - that includes the likes of Mitro and Perez. He's had and will continue to have my full 100% trust and support.

If Rafa stays, I couldn't give a single f*** who he decides to keep or get rid of - that includes the likes of Mitro and Perez. He's had and will continue to have my full 100% trust and support.

Agreed. Though, apropos of nothing, I have a feeling both those guys would be top of his list of players to build around.

I haven't seen obvious change in transfer policy.

True, weve been spending 80M every season since Ashley took over.

On English players :lol:

I don't see the 80m panic spend as a policy change per se. The funds available and transfer policy aren't the same thing. We're still going for the same deals that don't address the imbalance the team. Fed up of hearing about this 80m. It'll be chump change in a few years within the prem and the club makes significant profits each year. The English players thing; I was impressed by the Shelvey signing and Townsend has a goal in him, don't really care about English players though and that seems to be the reason they were signed over needs elsewhere. I get the policy change argument; but McClaren still had little say and acquisitions were still based on Carrs little list of favours and ultimately have been our downfall this season. It's hardly been a case of but things have been so different? How did it go so wrong?

Don't think anyone believes our transfer policy has altered beyond all recognition, just that their have been obvious changes, and their have been.  Unfortunately the biggest similarity to previous windows is still there.  Which is leaving too many glaring gaps in the side.

Fair comment. It hasn't made a difference however you view it.

Considering how much money we've lost under the cheap manager option, I would have thought it was a bit of a no brainer to pay more for someone who will actually grow the club and make it much more viable as a business within a year or two. I still think Rafa would stay if he's convinced the board are prepared to give him full control. It's only the release clause which keeps some doubt in the back of my mind, but that was always likely to be part of the deal considering our position at the time.

Just as well since brains appear to be in short supply at SJP.

Imo i think we've appointed one of the best long term managers but probably the wrong short term one for trying to stay up.

Rafa likes to build his teams from the back, being unable to do that he's come into a team with an awful defence and simply can't turn it around. I'm not really sure anyone else could of either tbh because the players are utterly awful.

If he's given the time and money then he'll be a massive success here, it's just whether he stays and he gets the chance to mould and build the club as he sees fit.