Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Are we anticipating a decision within the next fortnight/before euros?

I'm anticipating one in the next few days, see no reason why not as they are talking now and he's already at the club (so it's not like it's a leap into the unknown)

Guest chopey

we need everton to appoint a manager  :(

He is not going to Everton. 100000%

Would feel a lot more relaxed if they announced a new boss this week tho

My quick thoughts on what is being reported.

- I don't think Ashley would need to be present again if the meeting went well last night and he confirmed his original pledge to just leave all club matters with Charnley. I'd think last night would be enough for Rafa to get the assurances he needs and Ashley to say his peace and hopefully do what he can to persuade Rafa to stay

- I fully expect Rafa to be true to his word and take his time and a few days to gather his thoughts and assess his options before fully committing to an answer and returning for talks.

- I think the timeline could also be more Rafa mind games though and he absolutely knows his decision already, just wants assurances from Charnley and Ashley, an ironclad contract that he will need the clubs legal team to create and them his personal legal team to then review before they go back to the table and talk. I think he is almost expecting a stay but wants them to know he has offers and rightly will want time to assess options..really a get this done quickly if you want me Ashley and Charnley.

- not getting too excited these meetings could be as much as severance as staying.

- If he stays I wouldn't be surprised to see a break clause again if we fail to reach the premier league. That said it's in the best interest of the club he commits long term.

- think we will have an answer by the end of the week if things go positively with Charnley today. Will be a case of getting the contract drawn up, reviewed by Rafas legal counsel then it's dependent on if amendments are needed as to how much longer it will be drawn out.

Confirmation of him staying within this week is my guess. They are probably negotiating a new contract with him as well, just to put out a statement. 5 or 6 years?

Yep, tied up by next weekend or Monday at the latest.

Ashley would have said the right things last night, thumb will be tying up the loose ends this morning :thup:

I tend to agree, I don't think they would still be talking if yesterday didn't go well.

If Ashley fucked up it would be over now.

Fully set my mind to him staying now, would be absolutely devastating if he doesn't.

What's encouraging is that he seems like such a genuinely nice and honest man, that his ego won't take a hit by managing in a lower division for a season. Can't see many (any?) other top class managers even considering it, says an awful lot about what a man he is that he is willing to stay.

I'm still firmly in the "why the f*** would he stay?" camp.

There are many many jobs better than the NUFC managerial role right now. He's an absolute mug if he signs on.

True, but every time one of the elite managers takes on a job like Man City or Chelsea, we all question why, if they're so good, they don't opt for a bigger challenge like turning an unfashionable club into Premier League/Champions League challengers.

Rafa has been in and won the Champions League, won domestic cups, won leagues etc.  Maybe he's the first of the really top managers to fancy a proper challenge at a club with potential rather than one that is practically guaranteed success.

We've all played FM - it's far more interesting winning the Champions League with York City than it is with Man City.

I'm still firmly in the "why the fuck would he stay?" camp.

There are many many jobs better than the NUFC managerial role right now. He's an absolute mug if he signs on.

There might be better clubs, but there's not many clubs who have a stadium and fanbase like ours. For a football obsessive like Rafa, that's no small thing. I'm surprised our own fans still question this. Why do you think Keegan fell in love with this place?

There are far many better and easier jobs than the current NUFC one, however I dare say that there isn't one where he'll be able to completely rebuild a club from the ground up like he will here. It does appear that he do want that challenge, and he is confident in his own ability that he will pull it off (as am I). Is he a bit mad for wanting it? Definitely, but I can also very much see the appeal for someone like him to take it on.

There are far many better and easier jobs than the current NUFC one, however I dare say that there isn't one where he'll be able to completely rebuild a club from the ground up like he will here. It does appear that he do want that challenge, and he is confident in his own ability that he will pull it off (as am I). Is he a bit mad for wanting it? Definitely, but I can also very much see the appeal for someone like him to take it on.

That's it basically. He'll be absolutely confident he can get us promoted first time of asking, then the sky's the limit if Ashley will give him the backing that he is going to demand. If he wins a cup with us he'll become a legend. The way he sets his teams up is ideal for cup runs as well.

:lol: "he'll be able to completely rebuild a club from the ground up", it's like you've all just completely forgotten who owns the club. This is a fucking awful job, and that's the reason that our previous managers were Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren. Maybe he promises Rafa a much greater level of control, and maybe he actually gives Rafa a little more control than the previous shitehawks, but it'll not be long before they fall out over a nice bit of casual deceit from Mike, and we'll be back to square one.

I think it's probably about 50/50 right now whether he stays/goes. In the post-match interview on Sky Benitez mentioned that he, like the fans, feels it's important to keep a strong team together to come straight back up. I think a lot depends on how the club will manage financially with wages etc. and if the board are able to keep the core of the squad. If he is given certain guarantees I've a feeling he'll stay, if not he'll be away.

:lol: "he'll be able to completely rebuild a club from the ground up", it's like you've all just completely forgotten who owns the club. This is a fucking awful job, and that's the reason that our previous managers were Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren. Maybe he promises Rafa a much greater level of control, and maybe he actually gives Rafa a little more control than the previous shitehawks, but it'll not be long before they fall out over a nice bit of casual deceit from Mike, and we'll be back to square one.

Naive of me, I know, but I do think there's a desperation with Mike and Little Mike that they know they have to get this one right, and that means giving Rafa full control. You're obviously spot on that it probably will end up with Rafa walking after they have fucked him over, but it's that promise that means he is considering taking the job.