Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Just thought I'd bring up these Minhosa posts from the McClaren thread back in November. Remarkable how we actually went ahead and did the bit in bold.

I guess I was one of the most vocal opposition to his appointment, even when it was just rumoured but, even after the shitty start, I actually think the problem is bigger than him.

He's clearly not the man to bring about any sustainable change. That's a given. But I do think the very fact the club has been steeped in a 'do enough' culture for so long that 90% of the current squad have lost all ambition.

Ultimately, when your biggest 'sell' to the likes of Sissoko, Thauvin, Cisse etc is 'come here and then move to a big club' you reap what you sow.

We've effectively taken out the competitive element of sporting life and replaced it with financial caution/minor prosperity and, as a result, we've not signed ambitious sportsmen, we've picked up talented employees who have the odd good shift but more bad with no consequence.

When there is no punishment for failure, at any level of the club, then the rot sets in. Ours is well beyond that stage. It's so far embedded within the club that one gust of wind would blow it all over.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For fucks sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

If you believe in form, in probability, in likelihood then it's fairly inevitable that at least 2 of the 3 of us will drop this year. The writing is on the wall. If it's not this year then next. No matter.

To change this level of damage you need an absolutely inspirational figurehead. A Klopp. That's why I was harping on about him so much in the summer, probably rightly to much amusement, but we need a huge change.

It's also the reason I wanted Vieira. A risk, sure. But a potentially huge figurehead.

The reason they appointed SMc is because he's 'grateful' and they like that. He's pliable. He's drinking in the last chance saloon and, after being sacked by Derby, it was pretty much last orders. The game Ashley has played at NUFC requires him to have total control. That's why everybody, in every position, is arguably out of his or her depth. They are the grateful, the subservient, loyal to their master.

Take a long hard look and think who would get an equivalent job at any other PL Club? Don't even limit that to the playing staff, the coaching staff, the management team. Oh no. Look above them and ask why a club secretary is now the MD, the Head of PR was a dogsbody at the local airport, the last MD was a glorified croupier, the coaches, post KK, have all been yes men.

You can't polish a turd. Especially when those responsible for said turd won't even invest in polish, cloths or waste bags. They'll use some knocked off windowlene, the kitmans old shirt and the free bag for life from Sports Direct that we probably paid £30 for in a reciprocal agreement that only actually reciprocates one way.

Strip ambition, strip class and strip integrity and you're left looking for a miracle should you ever actually want to turn things around. And these guys don't come around very often. Steve Mc certainly isn't that man. Klopp would have been but he plays a different game to that of Ashley. And quite right too.

The twists and turns of the Ashley saga have only two chapters left imho. Appoint a figurehead or sell up.

Even with the current fan apathy/malaise, even the idiots cotton on eventually and SMc will start to take some stick. Possibly even after next weekend because of the Pardew factor.

He then either appoints someone capable of major cultural change OR another McClaren, Kinnear etc.

He either wants a competitive club (:lol:) or he doesn't. Those words from May will come back to haunt him soon.

Step-up on to the stage that man, join the golden thread of visionaries and prophets  :clap:

From Nostradamus to Minhosa. The French Revolution, The Great Fire of London, the rise of Hitler, The Atomic Bomb, Don Rafa de la Benitez saves the toon (plus a few less significant world events). Which six numbers do you fancy for the weekend mate??

bought tickets for the huddersfield match for me and the old man, said i'd never go back with ashley as owner but it looks like i've been dragged into the rafalution

Same. First time in SJP since Hughton got sacked.

Just thought I'd bring up these Minhosa posts from the McClaren thread back in November. Remarkable how we actually went ahead and did the bit in bold.

I guess I was one of the most vocal opposition to his appointment, even when it was just rumoured but, even after the shitty start, I actually think the problem is bigger than him.

He's clearly not the man to bring about any sustainable change. That's a given. But I do think the very fact the club has been steeped in a 'do enough' culture for so long that 90% of the current squad have lost all ambition.

Ultimately, when your biggest 'sell' to the likes of Sissoko, Thauvin, Cisse etc is 'come here and then move to a big club' you reap what you sow.

We've effectively taken out the competitive element of sporting life and replaced it with financial caution/minor prosperity and, as a result, we've not signed ambitious sportsmen, we've picked up talented employees who have the odd good shift but more bad with no consequence.

When there is no punishment for failure, at any level of the club, then the rot sets in. Ours is well beyond that stage. It's so far embedded within the club that one gust of wind would blow it all over.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For fucks sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

If you believe in form, in probability, in likelihood then it's fairly inevitable that at least 2 of the 3 of us will drop this year. The writing is on the wall. If it's not this year then next. No matter.

To change this level of damage you need an absolutely inspirational figurehead. A Klopp. That's why I was harping on about him so much in the summer, probably rightly to much amusement, but we need a huge change.

It's also the reason I wanted Vieira. A risk, sure. But a potentially huge figurehead.

The reason they appointed SMc is because he's 'grateful' and they like that. He's pliable. He's drinking in the last chance saloon and, after being sacked by Derby, it was pretty much last orders. The game Ashley has played at NUFC requires him to have total control. That's why everybody, in every position, is arguably out of his or her depth. They are the grateful, the subservient, loyal to their master.

Take a long hard look and think who would get an equivalent job at any other PL Club? Don't even limit that to the playing staff, the coaching staff, the management team. Oh no. Look above them and ask why a club secretary is now the MD, the Head of PR was a dogsbody at the local airport, the last MD was a glorified croupier, the coaches, post KK, have all been yes men.

You can't polish a turd. Especially when those responsible for said turd won't even invest in polish, cloths or waste bags. They'll use some knocked off windowlene, the kitmans old shirt and the free bag for life from Sports Direct that we probably paid £30 for in a reciprocal agreement that only actually reciprocates one way.

Strip ambition, strip class and strip integrity and you're left looking for a miracle should you ever actually want to turn things around. And these guys don't come around very often. Steve Mc certainly isn't that man. Klopp would have been but he plays a different game to that of Ashley. And quite right too.

The twists and turns of the Ashley saga have only two chapters left imho. Appoint a figurehead or sell up.

Even with the current fan apathy/malaise, even the idiots cotton on eventually and SMc will start to take some stick. Possibly even after next weekend because of the Pardew factor.

He then either appoints someone capable of major cultural change OR another McClaren, Kinnear etc.

He either wants a competitive club (:lol:) or he doesn't. Those words from May will come back to haunt him soon.

Lucky guess.

It’s brilliant – he’s very hands on and he loves to coach a lot.

I’ve already learned a hell of a lot in the two weeks I’ve been here.

For me it’s just about learning even more and trying to help the team as much as I can.

Central-midfield’s where I see myself playing but as I’ve said before I’m a versatile player: I can play full-back, I can play centre-back, I can play centre-midfield.

So for me, whatever role the manager sees me in is the role I will do; if I have to do a job at centre-back, or if I have to play right-back, I’ll play anywhere.

I want to help the club and I want to progress myself and my career.

But the main thing for me is that this club needs to be in the Premier League next season so, if I can help the team in anyway, I will.

Hayden seems to be the ideal size for a DM in this division and in general in the PL (not named Kante who seems a 1x a decade player like Makalele) I think he's got the perfect bit of athleticism to let Shelvey shine in his role.

Guest Howaythetoon

Took my boys to their first Toon match today and myself in years (outside of 2 protest games) and it's all down to this man!

Guest neesy111

When was the last time we went unbeaten in pre-season? Definitely before Ashley's time.

2001-02 if you count the Intertoto Cup as pre-season. If not, then 1995-96.

We lost Rob Lee's testimonial didn't we?

Yes, 1-0 v Bilbao.