Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I know it was mentioned a few pages back but here's the link for the Podcast about True Faith's most recent meeting with Rafa.

Been listening to this. As I suspected, Carr wasn't really to blame for some of our shit signings and he has been under exactly the sort of restrictions that some of us suspected he was.

The sort of restrictions that force him to buy players unfit for purpose for considerable sums of money? Aye, OK. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I know it was mentioned a few pages back but here's the link for the Podcast about True Faith's most recent meeting with Rafa.

Been listening to this. As I suspected, Carr wasn't really to blame for some of our shit signings and he has been under exactly the sort of restrictions that some of us suspected he was.

The sort of restrictions that force him to buy players unfit for purpose for considerable sums of money? Aye, OK. :lol:

You should probably listen to it before launching into your default of arrogant ignorance like. :thup:

You should probably listen to it before launching into your default of arrogant ignorance like. :thup:

http://i.giphy.com/3o7TKyOoGtsprTLgZy.gif

Been listening to this. As I suspected, Carr wasn't really to blame for some of our s*** signings and he has been under exactly the sort of restrictions that some of us suspected he was.

Haven't listened at all, but I wasn't a Carr basher, I presumed he'd be doing the job of any scout, which is to prepare a selection of targets and rank them on suitability/cost. Not his fault if the club kept going for the worst options in the end. If he provides no options, he'd not be in a job mind.

He told the Chronicle: “I have seen a lot of speculation in the newspapers about players and myself.

“I am really pleased, though, I’m happy we are doing well. When I decided to stay here it was because I wanted to do well and get promoted.

“I’m happy and proud that some clubs talk about me but at the moment I am really pleased with the way things are here.”

Been listening to this. As I suspected, Carr wasn't really to blame for some of our s*** signings and he has been under exactly the sort of restrictions that some of us suspected he was.

Haven't listened at all, but I wasn't a Carr basher, I presumed he'd be doing the job of any scout, which is to prepare a selection of targets and rank them on suitability/cost. Not his fault if the club kept going for the worst options in the end. If he provides no options, he'd not be in a job mind.

Aye, I'm sure it's the club's fault he decided £6m was a good price for Rivierre, £12m for Thauvin etc. Not to mention the utterly ludicrous attempts to construct a central defence with players about as physically imposing as Pee Wee Herman.

You can make arguments for or against Carr tbh. Yes some of his signings were a bit lightweight, but most of them were bought specifically for sell on potential, and in that respect we've generally done pretty well in the transfer market. We also got relegated as a result, but when you've been given a certain remit I'm not sure how much responsibility can be laid at his door.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, I'm sure it's the club's fault he decided £6m was a good price for Rivierre, £12m for Thauvin etc. Not to mention the utterly ludicrous attempts to construct a central defence with players about as physically imposing as Pee Wee Herman.

Yet again, it's quite obvious from what you you're saying that you haven't listened to it, so ye nah, wind your neck until you have tbh.

It didn't help that Carr was told to avoid scouting people in this country, ye na, the place where they were going to be playing their football.

It also didn't help that he had to scout essentially boys, with no experience and with the remit that we could get our cash back if they were shit.

That doesn't mean to say he's blameless, just that his hands were largely tied.

All clubs sign some duds by the way. The good ones move them on quickly.

He told the Chronicle: “I have seen a lot of speculation in the newspapers about players and myself.

“I am really pleased, though, I’m happy we are doing well. When I decided to stay here it was because I wanted to do well and get promoted.

“I’m happy and proud that some clubs talk about me but at the moment I am really pleased with the way things are here.”

Please dont leave Rafa :anguish:

Please dont leave Rafa :anguish:

"at the moment". :lol: Like he's daring Ashley to sell Gayle on in January.

From what we've seen of him so far the only thing that would likely make him "not happy at the moment" is if Ashley didn't back him or undermined his work in any way.

As ever Ashley is our biggest worry, I just hope he continues to back him and leaves him be, surely even an owner like Ashley can see hes got insanely lucky landing a manager of this quality and wouldn't be daft enough to mess that up surely?

Not the most comitted of sound bites, that "at the moment" is a killler line like.

With this club you worry all the time, but it really wouldnt suprise me if Rafa isnt here in a years time

I would like to think he will be here for at least another 5 years. He would go down in my estimation a lot if he left to go to some tin pot club like West Ham. I think he will be here for a while as other than Liverpool I can't see many teams who he could go too.

From what we've seen of him so far the only thing that would likely make him "not happy at the moment" is if Ashley didn't back him or undermined his work in any way.

As ever Ashley is our biggest worry, I just hope he continues to back him and leaves him be, surely even an owner like Ashley can see hes got insanely lucky landing a manager of this quality and wouldn't be daft enough to mess that up surely?

That's what I think. He has a top manager,the team doing well, the stadium rammed every game. The spotlight has been taken off him. Why would he ruin that?

Then I remember he didn't care less about results or annoying the fans or self destructing the club in the past on more than one occasion so it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Just hope it has finally sunk into his fat head

I'm not too worried about that line by Rafa -it could mean in, for example, 5 years time as he may want to move even closer to his family or try another challenge.

But I believe it's mainly a "questionable" use of the English language by him - which sometimes he does.

Kid Icarus and HandsDownHisPants, and others seem very adamant that Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2.

Err, I've never said this like :lol:

When you stated 'that would be like asking McDonald's to change the recipe of their fries.' What did you mean?

Not "Rafa will never play two-strikers/4-4-2" :lol: You sort of put those words into my mouth there, for some reason.

I think wanting Rafa to switch to 4-4-2 is pretty moronic given 4-5-1 is the system he's played for most of his career with great success. He might play 4-4-2 now and then, he might even switch to it full time at some point, I don't think he's allergic to the formation or out. The wish for him to move away from his preferred system (that is currently working to great effect) is daft.

So in response to some people desperately wanting Rafa to mix things-up, and flexibly use Gayle with Mitro, you post:  'That would be like asking McDonald's to change the recipe of their fries.' When what you really meant was: 'That would be like asking McDonald's to occasionally have promotions and add something to their menu?' Might have been quicker to just say "I agree." Or just nod along and say nowt.

People read far too much into stuff like :lol: saying he's happy at the moment is a pragmatic way of answering the question, nothing more.

does it with most questions, add the fact its not his native language sometimes there are suble differences in the way he replies,