Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

His setup has worked just fine for the majority of the season, he'll see no need to change it on the back of one poor showing.

What he will see as his task is to better organize and shape the team in Shelvey's absence. Whether lack of preparation time leading up to this or just picking the wrong lineup - I don't, for the record, think he is infallible - he'll change things up for Forest.

His setup has worked just fine for the majority of the season, he'll see no need to change it on the back of one poor showing.

One poor showing? I can think of 5 poor showings at home in the league. Out of 11 it's absolutely not good enough.

What he will see as his task is to better organize and shape the team in Shelvey's absence. Whether lack of preparation time leading up to this or just picking the wrong lineup - I don't, for the record, think he is infallible - he'll change things up for Forest.

It's more than one game. Teams know what to do against us. Even Rotherham nearly managed it.

Ridiculous to say considering the squad at our disposal but I'm not sure what other options we have for central midfield. Shelvey is absolutely key, without him the choices are pretty dismal.

True, but the players all over the pitch should still be able to play with some sort of urgency and tempo one would think.

Ridiculous to say considering the squad at our disposal but I'm not sure what other options we have for central midfield. Shelvey is absolutely key, without him the choices are pretty dismal.

True, but the players all over the pitch should still be able to play with some sort of urgency and tempo one would think.

Absolutely. :thup:

His 4-2-3-1 isn't the problem, it's the players we have that are fairly better than most of this league, however aren't capable of dominating when the key piece in Shelvey is missing.

Telling Rafa to shove his formation at home up his arse is some weirdo internet rage.

He needs to sign better players quickly to sort out the over reliance on Shelvey because he's not ever going to change his basic system.

I'd much rather he play 2 up front as well, mind you. 

I feel like we're winning in spite of the system, as weird as that is. Our players and general quality are doing enough but I don't think the teams are set up to get the best out of the collective. The first goal tends to dictate the result too much for me.

We're grinding our way there, don't get me wrong and I'm pleased about that, but I'd like to see a bit more variation because it's becoming too easy to play against us when we're at home.

It's more than one game. Teams know what to do against us. Even Rotherham nearly managed it.

Yep, we are very predictable, we try nothing other than 4-2-3-1. Now while it works most of the time, you need to change now and again to counter teams trying to counter it.

His 4-2-3-1 isn't the problem, it's the players we have that are fairly better than most of this league, however aren't capable of dominating when the key piece in Shelvey is missing.

Telling Rafa to shove his formation at home up his arse is some weirdo internet rage.

He needs to sign better players quickly to sort out the over reliance on Shelvey because he's not ever going to change his basic system.

??? :lol:

Yep, we are very predictable, we try nothing other than 4-2-3-1. Now while it works most of the time, you need to change now and again to counter teams trying to counter it.

You should write a letter to Rafa with all these good ideas.

Guest neesy111

Typical from you.  Can't criticise lord Rafa.

The players are good enough, his reluctance to produce a more fluid system is costing us.

They won't, though. Not when there's so much emphasis on the team keeping their shape.

Mind you it's easy to forget that we signed 12 new players this summer. I'm not excusing the performances but there's no wonder we don't have the best squad in the league*.

Considering we booted-out about 15 players, and the recruitment job we had on, it's remarkable that we have the amount of quality we do. Take the best one out, though, and you see how we falter. Plain as day that Shelvey is absolutely key to us going up because he just owns the pitch.

*EDIT: we probably do have the best squad in the league, to be fair, but it isn't head-and-shoulders above.

They did against Forrest when he went off.

I agree with Dave like, he is key and we're far less deadly without him. In all honesty though I think our team is slightly overrated.

We have the best and deepest squad but, although people are (rightly) kicking off about his home form, I think people assume Rafa just needs to send a team out with two strikers and we'll win.

Well somebody needs to say it, Rafa's boring 4-2-3-1 is not only tedious to watch it's proving to be increasingly ineffective especially against any one half decent. Our managers tactical inflexibility not only makes us horrible to watch but could cost us promotion out of a frankly terrible league. What's worse for this system to work if we do go up, we are going to have to spend a fortune and upgrade virtually the entire squad.

So not only is Rafa's football tedious and predictable  he insists of playing Gouffran instead of Atsu, Anita instead of Yedlin, and he picks Dummett and Colback apparently believing that they are capable footballers. Add in that he won't play two up front and Im in the distinctly unimpressed category. If he left tomorrow I quite honestly wouldn't care.

May the onslaught begin.

What's not to understand? I'm not going to jam my keyboard with rage telling the manager to fuck off with his system because we know he won't. I'd rather play 2 up front like you with these crop of players, but since we know he's not changing his system we better and need to sign better players to remove the reliance of Shelvey.

His tactics are around controlled possession - working openings and then combining to capitalize on that space. At the moment, we're not playing well enough for that to work, whereas it was looking great a couple of months back. Our wings are a massive problem, Gouffran and Dummett are a useless attacking combination, and Ritchie is struggling to consistently do anything of note. And that's then made worse by the lack of Shelvey in the middle.

We need another winger in any way, but if he's not sold on Atsu ahead of Gouffran then he might as well cut that loan and bring in another.

What's not to understand? I'm not going to jam my keyboard with rage telling the manager to fuck off with his system because we know he won't. I'd rather play 2 up front like you with these crop of players, but since we know he's not changing his system we better and need to sign better players to remove the reliance of Shelvey.

:thup: I cannot blame people for being pissed off like. Our home form is canny horrible and it isn't down to bad luck, but I have no worries and don't think it's anywhere near as simple to sort out as gets made out immediately after a defeat. We need a couple of big players in January.