Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

We only started creating chances in that game after they got a man sent off. They were doing really badly at the time as well and we were doing very well at the time bar losing to Blackburn the weekend before

Guest neesy111

We only started creating chances in that game after they got a man sent off. They were doing really badly at the time as well and we were doing very well at the time bar losing to Blackburn the weekend before

Didn't we rest a load of players for that Blackburn game as well?

Pretty sure we had several chances like but ballooned them all wide. I remember Gayle missing a couple.

We had loads of chances in extra time after they got the man sent off, naturally enough. Don't think we created that much in the 90 minutes. Having loads of shots doesn't necessarily mean you're creating chances either

Guest neesy111

Pretty sure we had several chances like but ballooned them all wide. I remember Gayle missing a couple.

I actually thought we created chances while we were dominating the game less and it was more of an open game.  Gayle had one on the counter attack.  It was when we just started passing in front of them we struggle dto created chances.

The Blackburn away game was similar, dominated in all areas but didn't create killer chances.

We had loads of chances in extra time after they got the man sent off, naturally enough. Don't think we created that much in the 90 minutes. Having loads of shots doesn't necessarily mean you're creating chances either

I never said it did :lol:

Did Gayle make it to extra time? I cannot remember, pretty sure he missed a couple 11v11 though, maybe remembering it wrong.

I never said it did [emoji38]

Did Gayle make it to extra time? I cannot remember, pretty sure he missed a couple 11v11 though, maybe remembering it wrong.

Someone else did, it was just a general point. Gayle played the whole game and missed a penalty in the shoot out iirc

Our cup game vs Hull showed how far away from the PL we were.

Considering it's the only game we've played against a PL side this season, I'm not sure it's indicative of anything.

Burnley are doing what Norwich did and few other clubs have done.  Go up with loads of confidence have a good 1st season despite having zero quality, and then get relegated either next season or the next.

Our cup game vs Hull showed how far away from the PL we were.

We should have beaten Hull really comfortably.  We were a lot better than them.  We had 32 shots ffs.

Again, in the 90 mins i dont recall their GK making many saves.

We had 32 shots, to their 12, and 61% possession. Don't think this serves as evidence of how far away from the PL we are. Though maybe the fact that only 5 of our shots were on target, we took crap pens, and our keeper had a mare is evidence of the importance of having a few more quality players in key positions. That said, Lascelles (who has been slated recently) put in a man of the match performance.

Guest neesy111

It was since that Birmingham 4-0 win  that our performances started to tail off.

Probably a mixture of sides changing how they play against us, nerves from our players and injuries/suspensions affecting us.

There are still plenty of very expensive players doing fuck all at clubs and perfectly cheap ones doing great things. There is so much poor judgement and dumb luck in the transfer market that it's impossible to boil it down to pure numbers. You need to buy well, sometimes that means paying a lot, sometimes it can be a bargain, and I'd take decent judgement deciding the transfers over a huge amount of money any day of the week (in case anyone has forgotten who won the premier league last season).

Having said that know a few liverpool fans who caution me on Rafa's transfer judgement, and more so not convinced there won't be chronic undermining of his transfer targets by under bidding and letting Carr have a say by the club.

How do you mean? That he didn't have a great record in the transfer market at Liverpool?

Guest Howaythetoon

I've not seen much of us this season, but 90% of what I have seen we have been bordering on poor. Not Pardew levels, fuck no, but poor for this level and given the players and who our manager is.

Guest neesy111

I've not seen much of us this season, but 90% of what I have seen we have been bordering on poor. Not Pardew levels, fuck no, but poor for this level and given the players and who our manager is.

It's not good on the eye at all.  Players has at his disposal is mainly to blame.

Guest Howaythetoon

I expected better football, but looking at the players and how Rafa does things I think he's went with an approach that will achieve more points than not without taking any risks and that just so happens to be more than the competition, slightly so in Brighton's case who are neck and neck almost. We would require major investment in the summer to simply be a mid-table side, never mind anything else, however, and on top players. Thankfully with Rafa he will know that and is ruthless enough to make the kind of changes needed. KK didn't quite trust his promotion side to make its mark on the PL and that's why he ditched two of our better players in Peacock and Kelly for example. That's if Rafa stays...

We simply don't have the players to play a great style of football.

Other than Shelvey, Ritchie and Clark - we don't have anyone in the team who can play a fast paced, loaded attacking or passing style of play.

If we tried to play like that we'd lose matches because they'd constantly get caught out.

Rafa has set up this team to their strengths, which is why we're top of the league. If we tried to play the way some people want, we'd not be.

The first half of the season was a real snapshot into the future of football under Rafa, IMO - we played a lot of good stuff in that period. The second half of the campaign has been disrupted a fair bit (it shouldn't have been, had we invested even a fairly minimal outlay) and has been a pressure cooker until very recently - I think he went safety first as a result but it's worked!

We simply don't have the players to play a great style of football.

Other than Shelvey, Ritchie and Clark - we don't have anyone in the team who can play a fast paced, loaded attacking or passing style of play.

If we tried to play like that we'd lose matches because they'd constantly get caught out.

Rafa has set up this team to their strengths, which is why we're top of the league. If we tried to play the way some people want, we'd not be.

love rafa, but think KK may have gotten a little more out of this team in terms of entertainment (possibly at the expense of a few points).