Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Not sure of the exact figure of the current tv money, is it 100 mil , do we get that at the start of the season of at the end of the season?  We get very little for finishing as champions of the Championship.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-tv-rights-money-distribution/

if this right looks like ~£100m for finishing last, push on to mid-table we could be looking at nearer £120m

wonder what our outgoings look like, £50-60m?  no idea

therefore assuming our new sponsorship deal isn't turd and we can rustle up ~£20m from sales somehow i guess that £70-100m isn't far off :dontknow:

I wouldn't get too excited. All he's said is he's not going to take any money out of the club, but at the same time there's no indication that he's going to put any in. That's pretty much how he's tried to run things since he took over. He's not suddenly gone all Abramovich on us.

For sure, with the new TV money, that gives us a lot to play with, but that's the same for everyone.

I don't want or expect him to put any of his own money in. Do you?

I was just pointing out that there's no apparent change to the previous policy - that the club should be self-financing.

And no, there should be no expectation on any owner to put their own money in. The only exception would be if the club are fighting relegation and a player becomes available whose cost is just beyond the budget.

What has changed is the manager appears to be in a more powerful position, and has the status to attract players on his own reputation. I don't think we're going to get any more eccentric, left-field decisions like appointing Kinnear as Director of Football.

so why not get excited then, why be so glum?  rafa is the best manager we've had since robson, arguably ever, and he's one of the few managers in the game you'd trust to give complete control you run your club from top to bottom and he's going to do it with us [emoji38]

it's probably the exact time to get excited man

:thup:

As I said before, if we can't be optimistic at this point then there's literally f*** all left.

If people are still doom and gloom after Rafa himself being very positive about all of this, then its best to ignore, not engage the misery. Rafa isn't an idiot and wouldn't dare let a concrete number or detail leak about the amount of money available - that doesn't help us in any regard when we're trying to buy a player and enter the transfer market.

Speaking after the meeting, Mike Ashley said:

"I've confirmed to Rafa and Lee that they can have every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means in order to build for next season."

My understanding of this is that Ashley wont be putting any more cash in, and any new players have to be funded through money that the club generates itself, so if we dont sell anybody, we cant buy anybody.

But we get all the promotion and prem telly money to spend? How much does a club get for securing promotion and finishing as champs?

"Other means" does rule out loans from Ashley.

Not sure of the exact figure of the current tv money, is it 100 mil , do we get that at the start of the season of at the end of the season?  We get very little for finishing as champions of the Championship.

if this right looks like ~£100m for finishing last, push on to mid-table we could be looking at nearer £120m

therefore assuming our new sponsorship deal isn't turd and we can rustle up ~£20m from sales somehow i guess that £70-100m isn't far off :dontknow:

Do we get that wedge from the prem at the start of the season.

Speaking after the meeting, Mike Ashley said:

"I've confirmed to Rafa and Lee that they can have every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means in order to build for next season."

My understanding of this is that Ashley wont be putting any more cash in, and any new players have to be funded through money that the club generates itself, so if we dont sell anybody, we cant buy anybody.

But we get all the promotion and prem telly money to spend? How much does a club get for securing promotion and finishing as champs?

"Other means" does rule out loans from Ashley.

bottom line is Rafa is getting funds to rebuild, he's happy with what he was told - and if anyone is trying to do some back of the napkin forensic accounting on how that sum adds up then they are crazy :lol: just sit back and let Rafa do his business.

Probably already been asked but does player sales include the sissoko money?

Probably not, because Spurs are likely to sell him which means they don't have to pay us another penny.

:lol:

Will never get old.

Do we get that wedge from the prem at the start of the season.

no it's usually paid at the end afaik, sure we could work around that like

The current state of some of our facilities is a joke by PL standards like. Some of the photos I've seen look like something from the 70s. Although apparently significant improvements were made last summer. Rafa could help drag us into the 21st century.

I've posted this before but I've had it on very good authority that in the recent past (when McClaren was here) the club wouldn't fork out for proper ice baths and we were using wheelie bins instead.

course they will

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=premier+league+pre+season+ice+bath&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixv7Kp6efTAhUob5oKHZreBlIQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1920&bih=934

this may sound daft, but the wheelie bins are actually perfect for an ice bath in pre season, its not scrimping or anything but you will see that most clubs use them

I think we sometimes just revel in "this club man" rolling of the eyes moments  :lol:

As if a PL club is going to sign an international player and tell him to get in a wheelie bin because they can't afford a couple of hundred quid for an ice bath  :lol:

Man City players wouldn't be a bad shout, especially if they are defensive players. They play really attacking football which can often mean the defenders end up looking worse than they are. Rafa might be able to use them in a totally different way which suits them better.

I think the statement from Ashley is actually more worrying than positive however the fact that Rafa agreed to stay in pretty short time should give us all reason to be pretty optimistic. Ashley was never going to say the manager will have a transfer kitty of 20, 50, 70 or 100 million, that the kind of quote that gets owners in trouble and weakens your bargaining position on transfers as the buying clubs know how much you have. Rafa is known as a manager who likes to make signings and if he's so readily accepted that this is the place he wants to stay, then you can assume that there will be more than sufficient funds available to him to help him achieve whatever target he has set for himself, which I am a 100% sure will not be 17th place.

Remember when we appointed Kinnear and his first act as manager was to give the players an extra couple of days off so he could chat to the coaching staff? :lol:

Rafa was out on the training pitch within an hour of finishing his first press conference, and that sums him up perfectly. He absolutely lives and breathes football.

Guest Howaythetoon

Remember when we appointed Kinnear and his first act as manager was to give the players an extra couple of days off so he could chat to the coaching staff? :lol:

Rafa was out on the training pitch within an hour of finishing his first press conference, and that sums him up perfectly. He absolutely lives and breathes football.

Kinnear said to Viduka if he did the business on the park he could come in when he pleased and so he did. I know Owen is a cunt, but he was a professional when it come to his fitness and training and when Kinnear took over the whole dressing room become a joke in terms of spirit and training. Kinnear for me is the worst manager we have ever had after Pardew, certainly since I've been a supporter and as far as the club is concerned over the last 50 years or so.

Sick of fuckers saying not to get excited, fuck off!. We're nufc supporters, we're generally realistic as fuck these days and now is the time to start to hope again.

The news today confirms (in theory) that we're going to be run like a normal football club, with a top class manager in place.

Any NUFC supporter that doesn't recognise that's something to be happy about must have had their eyes and ears sellotaped shut for the last decade. Or maybe they're just as thick as fuck and think the Ashley era has been acceptable.

nice spin.

Kinnear said to Viduka if he did the business on the park he could come in when he pleased and so he did. I know Owen is a c***, but he was a professional when it come to his fitness and training and when Kinnear took over the whole dressing room become a joke in terms of spirit and training. Kinnear for me is the worst manager we have ever had after Pardew, certainly since I've been a supporter and as far as the club is concerned over the last 50 years or so.

Kinnear was worse than Pardew man, so was Carver. Those two were embarrassments, Pardew was just egotistical but without the managerial skills to back it up.

I don't believe Ashley's statement is quite genuine - he never came across as the sort of person who's liberal with spending with us.

I believe it's nothing more than a false hope sugarcoated to the supporters' eyes. I'm not saying Rafa will not be getting his way, it's just that Ashley will be still be monitoring him closely and if it needs to be, he will still have no qualm upsetting us or Rafa.

We're falling into the same trap as when we finished 5th - most people were happy to stay quiet about Ashley. When it inevitably collapsed, only then did we started to pressurise.

Is this going to happen again? Yes, most likely - however, I wouldn't blame the fans as it wouldn't be within our self interest to rock the boat. (ie - having someone like Rafa is probably once  in a lifetime opportunity, considering the current state the club were/are.)

But, this doesn't mean that we should be told to stop being pessimistic or to not occasionally highlight that a fuck up is just round the corner with Ashley. After all, why were we anxious before yesterday's announcement? That's right, because we know Ashley is an eternal CUNT!

Of course we can be happy and just look forward to our tenure with Rafa, as I am, but questioning fans' pessimism, especially at this early stage, is strange, in my opinion.

It's Afar, man. He's eternally pessimistic :lol:

Hehe, it's worrying because it doesn't specifically mention TV money, but clearly pinpoints the relatively small amount of prize money we made for go up as champions. It talks about money made now rather than money that should still be in the bank from sales we've made, remember we have a 40 million gap or our favour from previous dealings that could and probably should be redirected to future transfers.

If we take it in it's most literal reading and putting some numbers behind it, Ashley's statement is not that positive at all. He says we can keep the money from winning promotion (what is that, 7.5 million), the new sponsor (will that be paid in one big chunk or more likely over multiple years, maybe we get 5 million next season, also remember we pay all transfer fees up front),  and any money we make from players sales (we are in a buying position right now not selling and we have few assets we are likely to make a lot of money on that we want shot of, player sales max I would say 10 million).

Based on these completely made up and little researched numbers, that's a transfer budget of 22.5 million, that's not an awful lot in today's market.

The big question is what's happening to the TV money, is that just going to the running of the club ? Are we working off last year's parachute payments ? Or this year's bumper PL TV deal ? Remember again our policy of paying up front for deals.

My obviously ham fisted attempt of a post was actually more optimistic than my usual pessimistic miserable bastard approach. I said despite all this Rafa agreed to sign up, that means, he obviously knows a lot more about the details of the finances and is happy to go along with whatever constraints have been set for him. He came to this conclusion in a remarkably fast time frame, which should suggest to us that Ashley was not telling the full story and that is perfectly fine, I'm glad he's not making public our transfer kitty.

Guest Howaythetoon

Kinnear said to Viduka if he did the business on the park he could come in when he pleased and so he did. I know Owen is a c***, but he was a professional when it come to his fitness and training and when Kinnear took over the whole dressing room become a joke in terms of spirit and training. Kinnear for me is the worst manager we have ever had after Pardew, certainly since I've been a supporter and as far as the club is concerned over the last 50 years or so.

Kinnear was worse than Pardew man, so was Carver. Those two were embarrassments, Pardew was just egotistical but without the managerial skills to back it up.

Carver was a temporary manager where as Kinnear was a dinosaur. Pardew was supposed to be a manager, and he fucking ruined our club. Its Pardew we can blame for the relegation as his time here built that kind of club, helped massively of course by the fat man who owns us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Given who our owner is, we can never be sure of anything and while things seem good right now, great even, it still wouldn't surprise me if Rafa was not our manager for the kick-off of the new season. That's how precarious our club is under Ashley.