Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

You don't aim for 17th like. You aim for that and you likely finish bottom. That's before getting into just how lacking in ambition that is. It's not Rafa's way either.

My expectation is to stay in the league, my ambition is mid-table. Nothing at all deluded etc about that.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

We should never accept 17th, that's a losers mentality. If we finish 17th next season I will be very disappointed in Rafa. Thankfully that wont happen. I believe if we spend right the top 10 and a cup run could be achieved. Spend obscenely well and who knows...

Its up to Ashley what he wants. If he wants CL footy and trophies, Rafa is more than capable but needs backed and backed massively.

A realistic placing perhaps is ninth to forteenth. We are a long way off any european places.

Rafa obviously knows what he is doing and has a definitive blueprint he wants to implement. I am happy with this, but we need to temper expectations, we will need two to three years before we get close to top six competitive, that as well having luck with signings and injuries...

Seventeenth is obviously a wind up, who would set the target so low as just to avoid relegation, it would de-motivate all related to the club, fans included (see Pardle et all...).

We have the beginnings of a decent squad, if clark, yedlin, gayle, ritchie, hayden and shelvey all translate their play to the prem we will have the spine we need. Some astute signings and we will be a lot more competitive.

I am sure Rafa will just say we are taking each game as it comes, not giving any specific targets. Staying in the league would be a success in itself, but I would be lying if I said I would be 'happy' with 17th.

It comes as a fucking shame when, as a football fan, you can't predict good things for your club without people calling you unrealistic or a fantasist.

You know what, I'm going to say it, I think we could surprise a few people this year and finish in the top 8. Yeah, that's right, I also think we might sign a few decent players too.

You know why? Because Rafa is class and therefore it's possible. That's what the blokes done to me, he's turned me into a fantasist and bloody happy I am about it too.

So ok we might not finish in the top 10 but I know won't be the embarrassing mess that we had been and that's a marked improvement in my eyes. Viva le Rafalution... or something like that.

It comes as a f***ing shame when, as a football fan, you can't predict good things for your club without people calling you unrealistic or a fantasist.

You know what, I'm going to say it, I think we could surprise a few people this year and finish in the top 8. Yeah, that's right, I also think we might sign a few decent players too.

You know why? Because Rafa is class and therefore it's possible. That's what the blokes done to me, he's turned me into a fantasist and bloody happy I am about it too.

So ok we might not finish in the top 10 but I know won't be the embarrassing mess that we had been and that's a marked improvement in my eyes. Viva le Rafalution... or something like that.

Predicting anything at the minute is pointless, I would guess more than half our starting 11 could be different next season to last.

Season just gone Southampton finished 8th on 46 points and Watford were 17th on 40 points. Based on that, suggesting NUFC can finish in 8th is not much less likely than suggesting 17th. Outside of the top 6 then Everton, the Premiership is very even.

Guest reefatoon

It comes as a f***ing shame when, as a football fan, you can't predict good things for your club without people calling you unrealistic or a fantasist.

Predicting anything at the minute is pointless, I would guess more than half our starting 11 could be different next season to last.

Totally agree.

As long as everyone just keeps cool this Summer and just allows things to sort themselves out on the transfer front then we'll be fine next season.

The last thing we need is any sort of pressure when supposed transfer targets dont materialise and it puts Rafa on the back foot because I make it more than 50 names linked now. I'll be surprised if 2 or 3 of them are genuine targets.

Season just gone Southampton finished 8th on 46 points and Watford were 17th on 40 points. Based on that, suggesting NUFC can finish in 8th is not much less likely than suggesting 17th. Outside of the top 6 then Everton, the Premiership is very even.

It certainly is, our first target next year of course has to be stay up, but after that no reason at all why we shouldn't be aiming for top half. If we can't get to a point within 2 or 3 seasons where we are competing with Everton, then we'll have done very well, assuming Everton maintain their level too of course. Think it would take a huge change in ownership mentality to ever get back to the top 6 area even with Rafa in charge.

http://i.imgur.com/UfZurhp.jpg

I'm sure most of y'all will have seen this, going to matches and living around Newcastle, but it made me laugh out loud when I was looking around SJP on Google Streetview. So happy that Google caught that moment with their car.

Rafa man. :smitten:

I love the fact you're in the US (I believe) and you're streetviewing SJP :aww:

:lol: I do love a good streetview vacation.

Right when I became a Newcastle fan I actually went to Newcastle and had lunch at the Strawberry but had forgotten which corner it was on, hence today's foray into streetview. I do streetview quite often around Newcastle though, and especially down by Tynemouth because that's one of the places I remember most when I was there.

Rafa's bringing all that Newcastle love back for me now, so I especially love seeing stuff like what the Strawberry put up.

You haven't lived until you've experienced the Google Earth magnificence of Ipswich Town's Portman Road. Especially the view from Portman Road, complete with tramp fast asleep.

Might be two of them actually. Decent little spot that.