The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

His hand was by his side. When you run your hand isn't permanently stuck to your side so there's bound to be a bit of a gap between arm and body and he doesn't deliberately move his hand towards the ball

I often hear the phrase "He couldn't do anything about it". Is that the rule?

The ball hit his hand and his hand certainly wasn't by his side. Not to mention the ball looked to be on target and heading towards goal.

I don't get it.

The rule is that it has to be deliberate, in the opinion of the referee.

Guest neesy111

Deliberate huh. Well there are certainly loads given that are either not deliberate or are impossible to determine if deliberate or not. So go figure.

The ref has a split second to make a decision, so it's easy to see why many not deliberate are given.  This is one area video technology will make a big difference with.

How many handballs penalised in the box are actually deliberate? I know it's meant to the rule but it's clearly bollocks.

Aye. Seem to be a lot more lenient over here than in La Liga for example.

Schteve laughing and saying what a great game it was. Imagine that if Sunderland equalised against us with 5 mins to go and our manager went on like that.

That mentality is part of why he is no longer our manager :thup:

How many handballs penalised in the box are actually deliberate? I know it's meant to the rule but it's clearly bollocks.

Almost none, it's probably the worst enforced rule in football TBH. Pundits don't have a clue about it either.

Does anyone?

Spanish refs appear to have no common sense at all though.

Guest neesy111

Spanish refs appear to have no common sense at all though.

There was a directive a few years ago that any handball would be penalised.