The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

I thought that Premier League matches couldn't be televised when European matches were also televised?!

Not supposed to be, UEFA apparently aren't happy about it. There was a La Liga game yesterday played at 18:45 to avoid a clash but the PL, rightly or wrongly, seem to consider early kick offs a non-starter.

What a turnaround, but it's not a good advert for the game. Neither are penalties, and with a stronger ref Neymar and Suarez are looking at 2 yellows each for diving. Flinging yourself to the floor the moment you feel contact doesn't constitute a penalty, and you can't exactly argue you were tripped by someone's head. I thought the ref was going to book Neymar, but his assistant who is even further away advises a pen and the ref overturns the decision. It's comedy refereeing, unless you're a PSG fan. If the intent is to con the ref then you should be booked. The Nou Camp, the big crowd and the occasion - I think the ref's completely bottled it.

:lol: Are you serious? :lol: Meunier slips infront of Neymar bringing him down. It's as clear as it get ffs.  ''You can't exactly argue you were tripped by someone's head'' :lol: One of the dumbest things ever posted on this forum.

Come off it man. I've no idea why you're so upset that someone thinks Neymar dived (which he did). Surely he wouldn't do such a thing?!

Considering your username I'll assume there's just a strong element of bias here.

:lol: not disputing that there were moments last night that he was falling far easier tthan he should. But the penalty is so clear I really dont understand how anyone could argue the opposite if not for pure hate.

What are peoples thoughts on the away goal rule?  I think it's outdated now and needs scrapping in europe.

100% agree.

Not sure. Maybe trial it where it only kicks in after ET. Still feel it has merit and if abolished you'd soon realise why it was implemented in the first place.

What are peoples thoughts on the away goal rule?  I think it's outdated now and needs scrapping in europe.

100% agree.

Not sure. Maybe trial it where it only kicks in after ET. Still feel it has merit and if abolished you'd soon realise why it was implemented in the first place.

It was implemented to avoid replays before the invention of the shoot-out.

:lol: not disputing that there were moments last night that he was falling far easier tthan he should. But the penalty is so clear I really dont understand how anyone could argue the opposite if not for pure hate.

Di Maria one is even clearer and no one's mentioning that. No matter how "clear", it won't stop people ignoring/exaggerating to fit their narritive

edit: Not even clearer, I thought you were talking about the Suarez one :lol: Yeah, Neymar foul was a pen imo

Guest firetotheworks

I thought that yesterday was a Ballon d'Or performance from Neymar btw. He's been kinda threading water this season, I hope that this spurs him to assert himself more.

Not trying to be biased here at all but that must be one of the best individual performances in recent time by anyone. Most of the team looked to have given up except him, and he had Meunier in his pocket since the first minute as well. His workrate had always been great, but never seen him win so many balls in the defensive end as he did.

The funny thing about this is that you're saying all of this without trying to be biased. :lol: He played very well, but it wasn't a match that reflected the scoreline's suggested quality. It's not even the best individual performance from a Barcelona player in recent years imo.

I thought that yesterday was a Ballon d'Or performance from Neymar btw. He's been kinda threading water this season, I hope that this spurs him to assert himself more.

Not trying to be biased here at all but that must be one of the best individual performances in recent time by anyone. Most of the team looked to have given up except him, and he had Meunier in his pocket since the first minute as well. His workrate had always been great, but never seen him win so many balls in the defensive end as he did.

The funny thing about this is that you're saying all of this without trying to be biased. :lol: He played very well, but it wasn't a match that reflected the scoreline's suggested quality. It's not even the best individual performance from a Barcelona player in recent years imo.

As always your reading comprehension is excellent. Never said it was THE best. However, it's definitely one of the better at least imo considering what was at stake. I'm not alone to believe that either seeing as both Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard and few others have said the same .

Also, to say it's not the best individual performance from a Barcelona player is kind of a moot point as well as there's probably only 3 other players in the world that could put in a performance like that and two of them plays for Barcelona. I don't think I've ever seen a player single handedly pull a team to such a comeback. While most players had given up by the time they conceded he was working his socks off to win the ball on the defensive end of the pitch and trying to create. You could see Messi walking about feeling like he'd lost already, and seeing Messis celebration after the Sergi Robertos goal says it all about Neymars performance last night.

There's few performances I remember from players on the big stage that have been this good, the only one that comes to mind spontaneuously is that Messi going absolutely crazy against Bayern few years ago in the CL when he Boateng was left for dead.

Guest firetotheworks

As always your reading comprehension is excellent. Never said it was THE best. However, it's definitely one of the better at least imo considering what was at stake. I'm not alone to believe that either seeing as both Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard and few others have said the same .

Also, to say it's not the best individual performance from a Barcelona player is kind of a moot point as well as there's probably only 3 other players in the world that could put in a performance like that and two of them plays for Barcelona. I don't think I've ever seen a player single handedly pull a team to such a comeback. While most players had given up by the time they conceded he was working his socks off to win the ball on the defensive end of the pitch and trying to create. You could see Messi walking about feeling like he'd lost already, and seeing Messis celebration after the Sergi Robertos goal says it all about Neymars performance last night.

There's few performances I remember from players on the big stage that have been this good, the only one that comes to mind spontaneuously is that Messi going absolutely crazy against Bayern few years ago in the CL when he Boateng was left for dead.

Okay, it's not even one of the best imo. I'd count Suarez in there in terms of performances as well. I dunno, I don't see it. He had some undoubtedly brilliant moments last night, but I feel like the hype over him and over the match it is way OTT, despite the result suggesting that it was this incredible display of football, when to me it wasn't. I'd be the first to laud Barca as well, but the attempts to cheat from Suarez and Neymar, and Messi being a bystander took a lot of the shine off it for me.

Saw an article that said Neymar was the best player in the world. He was imperious yesterday but largely underwhelming this season imo.

:thup: He has only started to play well recently, been their best player for the last couple of weeks. But agree that he's been underwhelming for big parts of this season.

Okay, it's not even one of the best imo. I'd count Suarez in there in terms of performances as well. I dunno, I don't see it. He had some undoubtedly brilliant moments last night, but I feel like the hype over him and over the match it is way OTT, despite the result suggesting that it was this incredible display of football, when to me it wasn't. I'd be the first to laud Barca as well, but the attempts to cheat from Suarez and Neymar, and Messi being a bystander took a lot of the shine off it for me.

Fair enough, don't see how the greatest comeback in CL history is too much hype tbh, but that is my opinion. Or how Messi being a bystander means anything to Neymars performance.

Guest firetotheworks

Saw an article that said Neymar was the best player in the world. He was imperious yesterday but largely underwhelming this season imo.

:thup: He has only started to play well recently, been their best player for the last couple of weeks. But agree that he's been underwhelming for big parts of this season.

Fair enough, don't see how the greatest comeback in CL history is too much hype tbh, but that is my opinion. Or how Messi being a bystander means anything to Neymars performance.

It doesn't it was just a wider point about the match as a whole not being what it appeared. It was a really weird match I thought, it was a great comeback, just more that the football - especially considering it was Barca - really wasn't all that. Drama aside, it wasn't a classic.

Re best CL comeback of all time, you'd think so on paper, but it's still Liverpool vs AC Milan for me, mainly because AC didn't completely implode in the way that PSG did for the entirety of last night. But ye nah, opinions.

Feigning injury is getting ridiculous when you take a step back and think about. Goes to show if given an inch the players will always take a mile. Major clamp down required.

Find it hard to be objective about such things.  I hate Liverpool and so I don't want to give them the credit they are probably due. And I'm more than willing to give to give Mings the benefit of the doubt because he landed on Ibrahimovich's head.