The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

I'm sure Aubameyang himself has said we had an offer accepted but his dad said go to Dortmund.

EDIT:

'We chose to stay at Saint Etienne, where I got €70,000 per month (£55,000), knowing that, given my qualities, I could earn money tomorrow.

'The following season, Saint-Etienne wanted to send me to Newcastle.

'We opted for Dortmund, finalist in the Champions League, because my father studied Klopp's game, even though the pay was lower.'

I'm sure Aubameyang himself has said we had an offer accepted but his dad said go to Dortmund.

EDIT:

'We chose to stay at Saint Etienne, where I got €70,000 per month (£55,000), knowing that, given my qualities, I could earn money tomorrow.

'The following season, Saint-Etienne wanted to send me to Newcastle.

'We opted for Dortmund, finalist in the Champions League, because my father studied Klopp's game, even though the pay was lower.'

Ah yes, it was St Etienne (thanks Wullie). If I remember correctly though, it was on our second "attempt" that Dortmund intervened and got him. There was an earlier transfer window I seem to remember though where we dallied and lost out for the sake of a relative pittance. It's just a crying shame that we manage to scout these hugely talented players early, fail to get them signed up while we haggle over the relatively modest asking price and end up getting players like Emmanuel Riviere for a couple of million instead whilst these players turn out to be world beaters. Put that couple of million in real quality and we wouldn't be where we are.

Tbf it's not like Aubameyang, Lacazette, Alli would have become anything like the players they actually are today, if they'd joined us. The players we signed during those years joined the club on the pretence that they'd get a bigger move later on.

Cabaye, Debuchy, Cabella, Thauvin, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Ba, Marveaux, Yanga-Mbiwa, De Jong, Janmaat... the best of them got their promised move to a bigger club. But joining Newcastle United circa 2011-14, and accepting the message we were giving, was surrendering their chances of ever actually becoming as good as Aubameyang.

Tbf it's not like Aubameyang, Lacazette, Alli would have become anything like the players they actually are today, if they'd joined us. The players we signed during those years joined the club on the pretence that they'd get a bigger move later on.

Cabaye, Debuchy, Cabella, Thauvin, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Ba, Marveaux, Yanga-Mbiwa, De Jong, Janmaat... the best of them got their promised move to a bigger club. But joining Newcastle United circa 2011-14, and accepting the message we were giving, was surrendering their chances of ever actually becoming as good as Aubameyang.

That's how it turned out, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what was on offer, and neither should it have been that way by definition. These things are the direct results of our policies. Penny wise, pound foolish and with complete disregard for the interest of its fan base basically.