Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shelvey's not going to miss 19 out of 19 games though, is he?

Probably not. But why risk it? There is a huge drop off when Colback plays. He's not the same type of midfielder as Shelvey, and we have no-one else who is. And this is ignoring the fact that he's dogshit at his natural role too.

Hmph. Pretty pessimistic from Caulkin but I really don't think that us not spending this month would justify Benitez in him throwing a wobbler, or whatever.

I agree.

Rafa has said himself that they will only buy if the price is right.

It depends to what extent they're 'not backing him', like. If it's a case of us not spending £12-16m on decent/not-outstanding players from the Premier League, I would hope that Rafa would understand the stance of the board. We signed 13 players in the summer and £80m-worth the year prior. They're not going to overspend again now, especially when we're comfortably in the promotion places. He's not going to convince anyone that we HAVE to spend £15m in order to get promoted.

If we're squabbling over a couple million here and there then I could see him being rightfully very frustrated. But not toys-out-the-pram levels of frustrated. It wouldn't be remotely comparable to the shite Keegan went through with them, although it would make us all a bit wary about the summer.

Shelvey's not going to miss 19 out of 19 games though, is he?

No but the midfield is one of the weakest areas of the squad. If he's out there should be cover and at the moment there isn't any, we end up putting square pegs into round holes. Rafa wanted a midfielder and a winger and he'll be disappointed if they don't arrive.

Personally, I think if we don't sign a centre mid this has been an awful window.

It's beyond obvious that we need some sort of backup for Shelvey.

Colback - Hayden pairing is toothless, whereas a Tiote - Colback midfield is totally embarrassing.

It's insane that we're gambling promotion on Shelvey staying injury and suspension free for nearly a half season.

Some of the reported fees we have been quoted are extortionate. Our squad is clearly good enough to get out of this division (if it will is another question). hopefully readying ourselves for a PL summer splurge

will be a huge splurge too tbh as imho the majority of our squad were bought to get us up and promoted but lets be honest we will struggle without atleast 7 + additions

It's the same as always with Ashley, isn't it? We sign players if we're not on course to achieve Premier League status, we stay quiet if we are. Massive investment in 2012/13 and 2015/16 to try and avoid the drop, nothing going on in 2013/14 or 2014/15 because we were looking likely to stay up anyway.

Papiss Cissé is pretty much the only time we've done something in January over the past seven years despite doing well enough, but by all accounts given of that transfer Ashley was under the impression that we'd get Champions League (money) if we got him.

Don't expect us to push anything through. Interesting to see how this pans out when we're up there again. By the sign of things, Benitez won't be allowed to build on platforms.

Personally, I think if we don't sign a centre mid this has been an awful window.

It's beyond obvious that we need some sort of backup for Shelvey.

Colback - Hayden pairing is toothless, whereas a Tiote - Colback midfield is totally embarrassing.

It's insane that we're gambling promotion on Shelvey staying injury and suspension free for nearly a half season.

Totally agree.  It's ridiculous.

Care to calm down anyone?

You said that at the end of last January too. :lol:

This time I'm right though yes?

If we're panicking now, with the best manager and squad in the league and an excellent position in the table then it just seems like it's a permanent state of affairs.

Of course fans always want more players but logicially it's always going to be hard to sign the right people for the reasons we all know about. Getting top-half PL players to join a championship team (in January) has to be one of the toughest transfer tasks around.

We're never going to have two Gayles or two Shelveys. It's brilliant we've got one.

One adequate winger apart from Ritchie would be nice.

I know it would, that doesn't change my point about the overall situation.

Brighton would love another Knockhaert.

Brighton didn't sell their best players bringing a £32m profit in the last window, either.