Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you think we are in a position to tempt premiership players who don't mind doing 4 months in the championship, come January?

I could see a few players willing to drop down temporarily.

Do you think we are in a position to tempt premiership players who don't mind doing 4 months in the championship, come January?

I could see a few players willing to drop down temporarily.

Hopefully, I think its essential we try and get a couple in for next season in January so that they can get used to the system before next year.

I imagine that it would be younger players, who would be willing to make that sacrifice, rather than experienced first teamers of other clubs.

The way things are going, I could see us trying to resign Townsend. Don't think Rafa is the type to go back though.

I think we'll wait until the summer unless we get a deal that's too good to pass up. We are going to be as good as promoted by January IMO, I can see us building a huge kitty then buying real quality in August.

I imagine that it would be younger players, who would be willing to make that sacrifice, rather than experienced first teamers of other clubs.

The way things are going, I could see us trying to resign Townsend. Don't think Rafa is the type to go back though.

Aye. Andros blew it. Decision looks more stupid by the minute.

A quality midfielder and wide player, of the level that Ritchie/Shelvey are, would see us probably beat Reading's points total. At the minute we're a couple of injuries and the AfCon away from having some less comfortable patches later in the season IMO. It's all about who's available to sign and if we can attract them. I wouldn't bother buying anybody else if they're just fillers for the Championship run in.

We are crying out for a quality number 10. Perez and Diame don't do enough for me, certainly not premiership standard. Needs addressed if/when we get promoted.

A premiership striker is a must, Gayle and Mitrovic can battle with whoever we sign.

A quality left sided player to replace Gouffran.

An experienced defensive midfilder and someone to compete with Shelvey. Not much to ask.

We are crying out for a quality number 10. Perez and Diame don't do enough for me, certainly not premiership standard. Needs addressed if/when we get promoted.

A premiership striker is a must, Gayle and Mitrovic can battle with whoever we sign.

An experienced defensive midfilder and someone to compete with Shelvey. Not much to ask.

Left back, Right back and a top line centre half.

Not 100% sure of our keepers either!

You are asking for a lot to be honest!

agree with all of this but say one top class all round midfielder would do, i'd also like us to sign a top class CB bare minimum and ship out hanley (probably)

preferably a new LB too but that would be bottom of the heap for me

I know it's not a rumour but I wonder if we could try and sign Delph from Man City in the summer. Would be perfect for us IMO.

That's if we get promoted mind. I'd start a premiership planning thread but I'd get killed for it.

Cba with any of those 'had a promising career but jeopardised it by sitting on OilRich FC's bench' players tbh. Damaged goods. Plus it's quite clear that he's exactly the sort of dickhead mercenary we spent the summer ridding of. Complete joke what happened with his Villa u-turn. No ta.

Sigurdsson?

Would definitely have him, on the other hand. :thup:

Obviously their situation could have considerably changed by next summer, but didn't they reject a really large bid from Everton for him?

A quality midfielder and wide player, of the level that Ritchie/Shelvey are, would see us probably beat Reading's points total. At the minute we're a couple of injuries and the AfCon away from having some less comfortable patches later in the season IMO. It's all about who's available to sign and if we can attract them. I wouldn't bother buying anybody else if they're just fillers for the Championship run in.

Yeah I think we are solid enough at the back and we still have Lazarr as a potential option at left back, Gamez too if he can get fit. Some more midfield power and cutting edge creativity could seal the deal.

Cba with any of those 'had a promising career but jeopardised it by sitting on OilRich FC's bench' players tbh. Damaged goods. Plus it's quite clear that he's exactly the sort of dickhead mercenary we spent the summer ridding of. Complete joke what happened with his Villa u-turn. No ta.

Couldn't you say the same about Atsu though? not that i'd want Delph as he's not very good IMO but the whole damaged goods thing.

I think the key is not ruling out player X because of reason Y. Players should be judged on their own merit.

Would you have turned your nose up at Bony, for example?

It's interesting that Siem De Jong was seen as that number 10 player when he came here, Rafa took a look and was happy to send him out on loan. Not sure if he had much chance with Thauvin and maybe he was more of a right sided option than left. But that's 2 out of the 3 needs a lot have identified already still (I know Thauvin is as good as gone) in the squad.

Personally whatever division we are playing in next season, I would like us to sign Atsu and also try to develop Aarons (including improving his fitness record). I think that's fine for the left side right now. De Jong would have to come back significantly improved from his loan spell for there to be confidence in him at the PL level, though he would do a job in the championship, should we not go up. So a number is a priority for me.

Another area of need is the CM position, I like Hayden and Shelvey as a combo, and think they could do a good job at the higher level too, if Shelvey maintains his focus and Hayden continues to develop. But we need cover and someone to fill in for Shelvey when he gets injured/suspended or just needs a rest. So two CMs one more defensive and one more creative would be ideal.

The LB spot too is another area I would look at. It no coincidence that the bulk of our attacking intent comes down the right with Ritchie and yedlin. We've looked solid on the left with Dummet and Gouf, but we are not creating much. Perhaps that's the way Rafa wants us set up, being creative on both sides may leave the door a little too ajar for him. Perhaps Lazaar is the answer already, but his lack of play time thus far is a little bit of a concern for me, maybe Rafa has taken a closer look and not really liked what he's seen, maybe he doesn't think he is suitable for this division and will wait till we go up.

I'm not so sure we need to look to much at the attackers, Mitro and Gayle can play at the higher level and have scored goals there under some awful managers. With Rafa in charge of their development I'm confident in them to make the step up. Obviously if we don't go up, firstly I don't think Rafa will still be at the club, since it would be an almighty collapse and his pride alone may make him walk. They have already proved they are good enough at this level to get goals.  Since we play with only one up front we don't need a whole bunch of strikers, Perez, Arma and Tony are waiting in the wings to fill out the squad.