Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Another mini test on whether they're going to fuck Rafa around. He's already publicly made the point about fretting over a million or two and players going elsewhere.

Guest neesy111

Ryder says he wants the move and talks are planned today.

Perhaps the lad might hand in a transfer request? Did someone say he's a Newcastle fan?

Transfer request would mean he doesn't get his 9% of the deal.

Guest palnese

SSN just came up saying Norwich are trying to get the deal done as soon as possible.

I think we'll have a few things to say about that like.

:lol:

Perhaps the lad might hand in a transfer request? Did someone say he's a Newcastle fan?

Would it not be worth it, if he's getting a huge wage rise? He's probably still on young-uns wages. He a canny hike to 40k or whatever.

Guest neesy111

Would it not be worth it, if he's getting a huge wage rise? He's probably still on young-uns wages. He a canny hike to 40k or whatever.

If he wants to push it through yeah.  This is the main reason you never see players who want to leave actually put a request in.

Am I safe in assuming that most people are currently only happy with our options at centre-back and for the right flank?

I'm on the borderline with the goalkeeper situation personally, could live with Krul, Elliot, Darlow and Woodman as the options there but of course an improvement would be welcome and seems to be being sought by Rafa.

Most concerned about attacking midfield and the left flank, with striker not far behind.

I do think £16m is a bit excessive for a lower league player.

However £11m +£3m at various career milestones seems to be a reasonable compromise

Reasonable and compromise. No chance.

Am I safe in assuming that most people are currently only happy with our options at centre-back and for the right flank?

I'm on the borderline with the goalkeeper situation personally, could live with Krul, Elliot, Darlow and Woodman as the options there but of course an improvement would be welcome and seems to be being sought by Rafa.

Most concerned about attacking midfield and the left flank, with striker not far behind.

I'd only be happy with the keeper situation if we could regain the 2010-13 version of Krul. Otherwise I think we'd have one of the worst 2-3 starting keepers in the league whichever one we start with.

Left-back we're desperate. Right-back we're relying on Yedlin staying fit. Centre-backs I'd sooner have someone more senior with Lejeune. None of our defenders are proven quality in the Premier League.

We either need cover or an upgrade on Hayden. Same with Shelvey. I'm fairly happy with the wing situation if we get Murphy. I could live with him and Ritchie, with Atsu & Aarons as cover. Perez might step-up again as a number 10 now he's back in the Premier League, if De Jong could stay fit I think he'd be good. Ideally we'd need a new number 10 though. I'm not fully convinced by Gayle as a first-choice. It's one thing having a good goals per minute ratio when he's playing 20-30 minutes at the end of games using his pace to exploit tiring centre-backs, it's another thing to carry that sort of record over to being a first-choice striker starting 30+ games at this level, so I'd be happier with a proven striker.

So erm, yeah, we need an overhaul. :lol:

Luckily, I think Benitez is capable of setting us up to make us tough to beat tactically and get results so I still think we could finish between 12th-16th as it is.

It's tricky.  Krul seems finished but Darlow and Elliot seems deserve a chance to start.  The best option is to sign a veteran and sent this two out, make ways for Woodman one year later...but seems the chance has gone. 

Same for our CB.  Florian has to start, no question. Then we got Clark and Lacelles.  Mbemba as 4th choice.  Is this lineup reliable? No.  Are we able to make significant improvement now? No too.  We need to sort out our left back, left wing and striker problem which is much more important then our CB now.

These two positions are far from dependable but we have priorities.  We are going to relegate if no striker signed before Sep.

I'm pretty much aligned with you - I'd say left wing, #10, striker and goalkeeper are my main areas of concern. I'd then say center midfield, left back and right back cover after that.

A new goalkeeper is essential. Our options including Krul as he is today are not up to scratch. We basically need two new central midfielders and an AM if we are to play the same formation. The midfield is the weakest area of the team. At least with Gayle we have someone who could put the ball in the back of the net, although obviously we need more options there as well.

The Gibbs rumours seemed to have died which is a shame because we don't appear to be linked to any other left backs.

CBs - definitely - Lejeune, Clark, Mbemba, Lascelles, plus Dummett if needed

Wings - yes - Ritchie, Murphy, Atsu, Aarons,

Elsewhere - we need several!

I think we really need a commanding GK to give the defence a bit of confidence.

Glad to see you back Rich.

Clearly he has had injury problems, but is Krul really THAT bad? Same injury as Elliott after all and I don't understand how Elliott seems to be preferred on the basis of what happened before. So I'm on the fence with goalkeepers too and wouldn't want to spend money that could go on other areas.

Yedlin and Gamez at RB is a risk, but I think it's a position we need to ignore to focus on other priorities.

Centre back, I think we have six players there, we will probably try to ship one or two, but the second would leave Findlay as 4th choice, and without knowing much about Lejeune the opportunity to sign an excellent centre half should not be ignored if it comes up.

Left back, Dummett I feel will become more acceptable if he has a better player in front of him. Jury is out on Lazaar for me but it's telling he never really played. Would like a new left back but again not a priority right now, but we should take the opportunity to improve if it comes up.

The only central midfielder I am completely happy with is Hayden. Shelvey can still earn my trust but if he still isn't up to scratch in the PL, or one of the central midfielders gets injured then what's behind them is terrifying.

I don't think Rafa is too fixed when it comes to wingers he likes them to have capability on both feet and both sides. Ritchie is great and Atsu is good cover. I think we need a quality winger though to take the creativity pressure away from Ritchie and Shelvey. This makes this position priority number 2, we need a starter and possibly a back up.

Attacking midfield and up front, I think Perez and Gayle will have their best ever seasons next season. This makes these positions a little less important, but we still need players of at least equal quality to rotate.

I'm pretty much aligned with you - I'd say left wing, #10, striker and goalkeeper are my main areas of concern. I'd then say center midfield, left back and right back cover after that.

Not far off that exact list here. If we didn't end up doing anything at goalkeeper I think we ideally need 8 more:

RB, LB, CM, CM, AM, LW, LW, ST

I genuinely think Krul or Elliot are good enough to be number one for a season, but it seems like others (and most importantly Rafa) disagree with me. However, Rafa signed Sels so I'm not exactly sold on his judgement when it comes to 'keepers just yet.

In defence I don't want us to be relying on Gamez, Haidara or Lazaar as backup but I could cope with Gamez and Haidara staying if it meant we had more £ to spend elsewhere in order to improve the first team. I'm happy with the centre-back options, especially as you have Dummett and Hayden (at a push) to cover in there, plus the two new young lads we've signed.

In central midfield I'd ideally like to see Colback bumped to fifth choice in CM or shifted (hugely unlikely), but I'm not completely convinced either Hayden or Shelvey are good enough to be looked at as automatic starters at this level. I certainly wouldn't rule it out, though, as I really like Hayden and Shelvey's attitude and fitness seems to be on the up - there's no doubt he has the skills.

Further up the pitch I think Ritchie at RW with Atsu as his immediate understudy is good for where we're at, but I don't really want either being considered as a realistic option on the other side. Murphy would be a great start there and we could take a risk and have Aarons as his competition, though I'm pretty sure he'll be crocked again imminently. Get him loaned out, sack Gouffran off and try and get someone with pace and directness in for competition at a low price.

I'm massively concerned about the 10 spot because neither Diame nor Perez are good enough there, they barely cut the mustard last season. As much as I liked De Jong signing at the time, his fitness troubles and a completely abject season with PSV have made me lose almost all hope. He's a good professional and is very switched on, but doubt he has the physical capacity to be of real use to us now.

I'd just about keep Mitrovic as third choice up top because I like the lad's attitude and he did alright for us at this level last time, but he's one of those that if we get a decent offer for we have to entertain it. Like most I'm hopeful Gayle can translate his form to the PL, but it's my opinion that we should really be in the market for a Demba Ba level striker (or thereabouts) who can lead the line with a much more diverse skillset than Gayle has. We have to spend money here, although I'm not sure who we should be looking at now we're in mid-July.

Ultimately for me it's AM, LW, CM, ST, LB, LW, CM, RB, GK in terms of what I'd like to see us improve upon.

I want to see Gamez, Hanley, Haidara, Lazaar, Good, Saivet, Gouffran, De Jong, Mitrovic, Murphy, Riviere and Toney sent on their way.

Woodman, Sterry, Aarons and Armstrong loaned out.

Not much to ask... we did more business than that last summer!

I'd only be happy with the keeper situation if we could regain the 2010-13 version of Krul. Otherwise I think we'd have one of the worst 2-3 starting keepers in the league whichever one we start with.

Left-back we're desperate. Right-back we're relying on Yedlin staying fit. Centre-backs I'd sooner have someone more senior with Lejeune. None of our defenders are proven quality in the Premier League.

We either need cover or an upgrade on Hayden. Same with Shelvey. I'm fairly happy with the wing situation if we get Murphy. I could live with him and Ritchie, with Atsu & Aarons as cover. Perez might step-up again as a number 10 now he's back in the Premier League, if De Jong could stay fit I think he'd be good. Ideally we'd need a new number 10 though. I'm not fully convinced by Gayle as a first-choice. It's one thing having a good goals per minute ratio when he's playing 20-30 minutes at the end of games using his pace to exploit tiring centre-backs, it's another thing to carry that sort of record over to being a first-choice striker starting 30+ games at this level, so I'd be happier with a proven striker.

So erm, yeah, we need an overhaul. :lol:

Luckily, I think Benitez is capable of setting us up to make us tough to beat tactically and get results so I still think we could finish between 12th-16th as it is.

:thup:

Especially agree with the last sentence, but would be lovely if he was allowed to aim higher than that.