Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Depor president apparently saying Perez wants to join them, but they can't afford him.

I don't think he wants to come here (or to Fenerbahce), and that even if we were to sign him we may have a Thauvin situation in our hands.

Thought every player wants to come here, it's just the board not willing to pay for them?

Everyone needs to cool it with the bubble talk. There's absolutely nothing to suggest there's a bubble about to burst and all signs point to this continuing for the foreseeable future.

It's like everyone for the last few years saying "there's a tech bubble, this is not sustainable." Guess what? Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc keep seeing their stock rise.

The rich are getting richer all over and the Premier League is at the top. It has global appeal timed with a shift in viewing habits that made live sports incredibly valuable and they are going to ride that wave into the next one, which will be the aforementioned tech companies trying to eat into the media landscape.

At some point the rights deals will level off or decline a bit. Or maybe there's a global recession or World War III and this comes to a crashing halt. But if Ashley is planning for that eventuality then we won't be a Premier League club when the time comes.

I genuinely don't believe people actually think the bubble is going to burst if i'm honest, wanting it sure but believing it? nah, there's zero evidence to actually suggest it's going to do anything but grow.

I'm pretty sure that Sky subscriptions are going down for a start.

And how many pubs have closed down over the last 5-10 years? The net figure is 26-31 per week, and they are another major source of income for sky.

Although as said it looks like for the forseable the foreign rights increases will be large

Everyone needs to cool it with the bubble talk. There's absolutely nothing to suggest there's a bubble about to burst and all signs point to this continuing for the foreseeable future.

It's like everyone for the last few years saying "there's a tech bubble, this is not sustainable." Guess what? Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc keep seeing their stock rise.

The rich are getting richer all over and the Premier League is at the top. It has global appeal timed with a shift in viewing habits that made live sports incredibly valuable and they are going to ride that wave into the next one, which will be the aforementioned tech companies trying to eat into the media landscape.

At some point the rights deals will level off or decline a bit. Or maybe there's a global recession or World War III and this comes to a crashing halt. But if Ashley is planning for that eventuality then we won't be a Premier League club when the time comes.

I genuinely don't believe people actually think the bubble is going to burst if i'm honest, wanting it sure but believing it? nah, there's zero evidence to actually suggest it's going to do anything but grow.

Aye and i have said this before but the reason the Premier League is so huge has nothing to with the English viewership, if it were then why does Italian and Spanish tv deals pale in comparison?

It's because worldwide they are nothing compared to the Premier League, while the American,African, Asian and what not continues to grow it does not matter.

It's incredibly short sighted to just look at what Sky and BT are doing, that's not the reason the league is so big even if they are the ones paying the big contracts atm.

The current situation is exactly because of BT though. [emoji38] It's not at all short sighted, it's just acknowledging that that's the reason for the latest increment and if their increased spending and Sky's increased spending starts failing then it'll have repurcussions on the money involved in the Premier League.

The bit in bold is what's short-sighted. As soon as Sky and/or BT determine it's not financially viable for them anymore there will be a host of offers coming in from all over the place.

Also, overseas rights currently account for just about 1/3rd of the total payout. I would expect this share to continue to grow overall, but it's already more significant to clubs in the bottom half as overseas rights benefit all clubs equally whereas domestic rights disproportionately benefit those at the top because of the way it's distributed. For the top 6, the overseas money was less than 30% of their payment for last season (as low as 26% for Chelsea), but it was over 40% for those in the bottom 3.

There have already been reports of some of the deals for the next cycle (2019-2022). NBC ponied up £1B for six years (which is double what they were paying in the last cycle). That plus new deals in China and part of Africa already have the next cycle at almost 50% of the current total. When all is said and done the next cycle will probably at least double the overseas rights, so this "bubble" has a ways to go.

Guest chopey

I dont think its a case of the bubble bursting its more a case that multiple broadcasters will pick up future rights and the price will be to high for us to pay

Aye and i have said this before but the reason the Premier League is so huge has nothing to with the English viewership, if it were then why does Italian and Spanish tv deals pale in comparison?

It's because worldwide they are nothing compared to the Premier League, while the American,African, Asian and what not continues to grow it does not matter.

It's incredibly short sighted to just look at what Sky and BT are doing, that's not the reason the league is so big even if they are the ones paying the big contracts atm.

The current situation is exactly because of BT though. [emoji38] It's not at all short sighted, it's just acknowledging that that's the reason for the latest increment and if their increased spending and Sky's increased spending starts failing then it'll have repurcussions on the money involved in the Premier League.

The bit in bold is what's short-sighted. As soon as Sky and/or BT determine it's not financially viable for them anymore there will be a host of offers coming in from all over the place.

Also, overseas rights currently account for just about 1/3rd of the total payout. I would expect this share to continue to grow overall, but it's already more significant to clubs in the bottom half as overseas rights benefit all clubs equally whereas domestic rights disproportionately benefit those at the top because of the way it's distributed. For the top 6, the overseas money was less than 30% of their payment for last season (as low as 26% for Chelsea), but it was over 40% for those in the bottom 3.

There have already been reports of some of the deals for the next cycle (2019-2022). NBC ponied up £1B for six years (which is double what they were paying in the last cycle). That plus new deals in China and part of Africa already have the next cycle at almost 50% of the current total. When all is said and done the next cycle will probably at least double the overseas rights, so this "bubble" has a ways to go.

Aye :thup:

The whole thing is a bubble. From the TV revenue to transfer prices and wages.

Ashley is also the ultimate shark when it comes to capitalising on bubbles bursting. He's treating this like any of those high street stores he gobbles up.

The second these big spending clubs start to realise they can't afford what they've done this summer, he'll be there like a buzzard.

I can't see it bursting though. Tv money is massive and super rich sugar daddy billionaires keep on spending. The bubble will only burst for those that get relegated if they've over spent and needed future Premier League money to cover current costs, and nobody will ever care about them when it bursts.

Not for every club no, but there's definitely a few minnows who have been living beyond their means for a few seasons now.

Everton are not a minnow but how deep do these pockets go of their new owners? The money they have spent on wages alone this window has been mental.

Guest Howaythetoon

I used to think the bubble would burst, but I'm not so sure now. TV revenue will only increase for the foreseeable as new media giants try to get in on the act. Amazon, Netflix, Google etc. Companies that don't operate on prodit margins, but market share and capitalisation of said markets.

I can also see a time when the world's top elite clubs break away from their respective domestic leagues to create an elite world league which TV companies will no doubt pay even more ridiculous fees to broadcast.

Clubs now hold the power over the likes of the FA, FIFA and UEFA. The Premier League is far more powerful than the archaic FA for example.

The worry for me personally in relation to our own club is that football is now all about global audiences and bums on (stadia) seats are becoming less key to how a club operates in terms of revenue. TV revenue dwarfs ticket revenue massively. Going to the match is not so much about supporting your home town team these days either in the traditional tribal sporting sense, but more akin to going to the cinema or a day at the races - its an entertainment product/package. Win lose or draw.

Its an ideal product for the global audience who have no real affiliation to a football club and therefore such an audience will be more likely to subscribe to paying to watch say Chelsea one season and then Man City the next or on individual match basis per any team. In short its not about the fans anymore, its about customers.

Mike Ashley does not care if the season ticket holder is a Geordie or a 'tourist', and neither do the TV and media companies. They don't care about the season ticket holding supporter, they are eye candy for the world-wide viewer and the global audience. A backdrop if you like to the theater on screen.

Already St. James' Park is full every week with thousands of people are are not fans in the strictest sense or the traditional sense, its full with people who go for entertainment purposes. And if they are fans in the traditional sense they are slowly being morphed via the corporate PL machine into customers.

This is the same for almost every club in the PL and even lower down the leagues with some clubs.

The Premier League clubs are at the forefront of other leagues' clubs due to the popularity of English football and that is helping drive the global interest in our clubs and the league.

I predict certain clubs will do to the Premier League what certain clubs did to the old Football League unless the Premier League give them even more money which they will have to in order to keep them happy. But with giants like Netflix, Amazon, Google etc. I can see someone pushing the idea of a league for the elite clubs and could the PL compete with those?

Sky already are losing their grip on English football and indeed the world game and there will come a time where they may be unable to compete full stop and let it all go.

What does all of that mean to me as a Geordie Newcastle United supporter? Well, today, I've almost totally fallen out of love with my club and the game to the point I don't really care what happens, good or bad. I'm past that.

If we could rewind back to the early 90s where it wasn't all about money, sign me up. Where it was about sporting success and supporting you home town team.

Its not going to happen is it. Hopefully a big black hole will open up and swallow the whole thing.

Neymar £200m +? Gray 18m? f***ing hell, its absurd.

I hate Ashley, but truthfully if I was an owner, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for anyone, at both ends of the scale.

And its looking like that will be the case under Ashley and as such I think if we are to even semi-compete its about time we invested everything into the academy to produce our own top-class players.

Football is f***ed isn't it?!

Where has all this stuff about us paying massive wages come from? I realise relatively they will be astronomical compared to your average man on the street, but I was under the impression that relative to other football clubs, we paid a more moderate sum and using the "shop window/stepping stone" argument to sign players?

Massive wages compared to France, Holland, even Spain, which is where we're probably trying to offload to. A big team in the Championship could probably match some of the wages of the shitter players but guess they won't pay the transfer fees.

Jack Colback gotta be on 30k+ a week. That's massive.

So Kenedy to provide competition at LB, across the midfield, and as a LWB option if we do try three at the back.

A proper goalkeeper, a striker, and either a #10 or another CM and we'd be in decent shape all things considered.