Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If that's the case, and we aren't 'stepping up' our interest, surely that is evidence to suggest that until players leave, there will be no new signings. Totally brainless way of doing business.

And yes, you can say maybe he doesn't want to come here. But given Benitez mentioned him directly, and there is obviously a lot of work done to assess a player's interest before approaching them formally, it's unlikely to be the case.

Guest reefatoon

Charnley will be sitting, staring at the online bank account, waiting for the TV money to pop in before he goes and makes an offer.

Guest firetotheworks

Their incompetence is often so obvious that you have difficulty believing that it's not deliberate tbh.

I wonder who Ashley will blame for the failure of offloading all the talentless wonders we have on our books? The ones preventing us from spending at the moment. It can't be Rafa's duty to find their new clubs and sell them. Surely Rafa has the right to be furious that Ashley failed to create the funds needed to strengthen the squad from selling the players he's identified as surplus?

No matter which way Ashley tries to play things around spending it always comes back to him and his way to doing things causing the mess.

Their incompetence is often so obvious that you have difficulty believing that it's not deliberate tbh.

This. It's as if they've had a private meeting behind the managers' back where they've decided to ensure we get none of Rafas main targets. Now where have I heard that one before?

There's a lot of speculation here (https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/08/premier-league-2017-18-preview-newcastle-united), but...

The manager thought he had deals arranged for, among others, Abraham and Manchester City’s Willy Caballero (who ended up at Chelsea) but Newcastle’s negotiating team could not get them over the line.

Part of this is said to be down to the increasing influence of Justin Barnes – an abrasive lawyer and long-term Ashley business ally – who has become heavily involved in the club. Where Benítez has always had a decent relationship with Lee Charnley, the managing director, he now has the added complication of Barnes to factor into the equation.

Charnley, Barnes and Ashley have apparently been deeply unimpressed by this summer’s crazy, heavily inflated transfer market and the suspicion is Newcastle are waiting to do some key business – ie signing the high-calibre striker their manager so desperately craves – until late in August when they hope, perhaps optimistically, that prices will drop.

Before Carr left his post he was telling clubs that Newcastle would spend big this summer and, initially, it was thought Benítez would be given, at the very least, £70m. That may still be the case but Ashley is notoriously prone to changing his mind – and is perhaps disappointed that no one has swept in to buy the club.

The problem is, is that due to the ridiculous amount of money in football - NUFC's worth increases by the day. Players being valued at 10x their normal value means the price of everything goes up. Ashley can continue to run us as a worthless club wheeling and dealing with shitty players, knowing full well that his investment is safe.

We're stuck in a rut with the biggest arsehole around and there is no end in sight. As others have said, our only hope is that we're taken over within the next 12-24 months otherwise eventually Rafa will get sick of it and leave. Sadly, I doubt that'll happen.

The problem is, is that due to the ridiculous amount of money in football - NUFC's worth increases by the day. Players being valued at 10x their normal value means the price of everything goes up. Ashley can continue to run us as a worthless club wheeling and dealing with shitty players, knowing full well that his investment is safe.

We're stuck in a rut with the biggest arsehole around and there is no end in sight. As others have said, our only hope is that we're taken over within the next 12-24 months otherwise eventually Rafa will get sick of it and leave. Sadly, I doubt that'll happen.

Yep. I'm pretty sceptical that Ashley even wants out. I think he's happy to carry on as we are, he must be making money from the club (for a start all the free advertising, plus things like outsourcing the catering/club shop, selling off land behind the Gallowgate etc).

And I don't for one second believe there was anything in the stories of Chinese investment, felt like a smokescreen at the time and even more so now. If we were ever going to be sold we'd wake up one morning and it would be happening. Sadly I can't see that day coming.

All true but we've known this for many years now. Ashley simply sees the club as a medium to advertise his business free on a global stage. When we play Man Utd, Arsenal, or any Premier League club for that matter, it's broadcast around the world. Companies would pay ludicrous amounts to have their brand splashed all over the stadium the way Sports Direct is. Keeping the club in the Premier League at minimal outlay is his only concern.

Why couldn't we be lucky and get fucking sold, to fucking anyone, I'd take my chances, can't get much worse...Best chance ever to make something good of this club under Rafa and his willingness to commit to a long term project. Instead the cunts make it as hard as possible, damn rats.

There's a lot of speculation here (https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/08/premier-league-2017-18-preview-newcastle-united), but...

The manager thought he had deals arranged for, among others, Abraham and Manchester City’s Willy Caballero (who ended up at Chelsea) but Newcastle’s negotiating team could not get them over the line.

Part of this is said to be down to the increasing influence of Justin Barnes – an abrasive lawyer and long-term Ashley business ally – who has become heavily involved in the club. Where Benítez has always had a decent relationship with Lee Charnley, the managing director, he now has the added complication of Barnes to factor into the equation.

Charnley, Barnes and Ashley have apparently been deeply unimpressed by this summer’s crazy, heavily inflated transfer market and the suspicion is Newcastle are waiting to do some key business – ie <b> signing the high-calibre striker their manager so desperately craves – until late in August when they hope, perhaps optimistically, that prices will drop </b>.

Before Carr left his post he was telling clubs that Newcastle would spend big this summer and, initially, it was thought Benítez would be given, at the very least, £70m. That may still be the case but Ashley is notoriously prone to changing his mind – and is perhaps disappointed that no one has swept in to buy the club.

They'll rise in late August, if anything, the absolute fuckwits  :lol:

Charnley, Barnes and Ashley have apparently been deeply unimpressed by this summer’s crazy, heavily inflated transfer market and the suspicion is Newcastle are waiting to do some key business – ie <b> signing the high-calibre striker their manager so desperately craves – until late in August when they hope, perhaps optimistically, that prices will drop </b>.

They'll rise in late August, if anything, the absolute fuckwits  :lol:

Aye - not sure where they got that idea from.

I think the top brass at Newcastle are hoping that prices go back to £5-10m for a player, and that clubs can then just keep pocketing £100m+ each year in TV revenue. They don't realise that the thing which will determine whether or not this continues isn't the other clubs' desire to make a profit, it's their desire to fucking win something.

Mark Douglas said on talksport earlier that wages were the issue and not necessarily capital to buy. Suggests we may be close to wages / turnover ? And need to reduce that to bring more on?

While I don't doubt there's truth in there somewhere around him being dicked about, I still have confidence we will sign a few decent players

:rolleyes:

Charnley, Barnes and Ashley have apparently been deeply unimpressed by this summer’s crazy, heavily inflated transfer market and the suspicion is Newcastle are waiting to do some key business – ie signing the high-calibre striker their manager so desperately craves – until late in August when they hope, perhaps optimistically, that prices will drop.

What a flawless plan, can't see how that could possibly backfire and us end up with nothing.

Mark Douglas said on talksport earlier that wages were the issue and not necessarily capital to buy. Suggests we may be close to wages / turnover ? And need to reduce that to bring more on?

While I don't doubt there's truth in there somewhere around him being dicked about, I still have confidence we will sign a few decent players

No such thing as wages to turn over In relation to any hard and fast rules, Deloitte suggest less than 70% is sufficient but as we have no salary cap In the league the ratio is nothing but a mere benchmark.

As usual it's just another excuse to hide the the chronic lack of investment and non existent ambition.

Like f***ing waiting outside the night club for two hours after it has closed, hoping that a stunning female walks out alone, horny and ready to walk with you home. It aint gonna happen later because it's late..