Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shelvey this weeks villain I see  :lol:

He's quite blatantly better than pretty much all the players mentioned in the past few posts. Certain areas of his game are near enough second to none, why do Newcastle fans self-sabotage so much? He's not perfect, obviously, but he doesn't need to be ffs, we're a lower to mid-table (at best) Premier League club at present, we should be appreciating decent players like Shelvey not holding weird grudges against them.

What areas of his game are second to none? He's a good passer, that's it

And even then, as mentioned, his pass completion percentage is lower than Hayden, Merino and Diame.

And this is a perfect example of why stats don't give you the full picture.

Which is why I use my eyes as well. Can't wait until he's stinking up another team instead of us.

How many of our games have you been at this season? Not being funny but you really don't see the full picture when watching on TV.

He's quite blatantly better than pretty much all the players mentioned in the past few posts. Certain areas of his game are near enough second to none, why do Newcastle fans self-sabotage so much? He's not perfect, obviously, but he doesn't need to be ffs, we're a lower to mid-table (at best) Premier League club at present, we should be appreciating decent players like Shelvey not holding weird grudges against them.

And even then, as mentioned, his pass completion percentage is lower than Hayden, Merino and Diame.

Which is why I use my eyes as well. Can't wait until he's stinking up another team instead of us.

And using your eyes, the best passer in our team is?

Merino, by a country mile.

Really? I reckon there's much more evidence pointing to Shelvey like, Merino looks good, but bar 2 or 3 passes I don't think you can really base your statement on any tangible evidence thus far.

And using your eyes, the best passer in our team is?

Merino, by a country mile.

Really? I reckon there's much more evidence pointing to Shelvey like, Merino looks good, but bar 2 or 3 passes I don't think you can really base your statement on any tangible evidence thus far.

His pass completion and chance creation stats are fairly conclusive to back up my argument.

Again, stats can be misleading. Jamie Carragher's pass completion was 90%+, doesn't mean he was finding killer balls or springing his team forward with quick decisive passes. High pass completion doesn't mean the player particularly excels in the passing area of their game. I bet Colback's was canny high too, all backwards.

Again, stats can be misleading. Jamie Carragher's pass completion was 90%+, doesn't mean he was finding killer balls or springing his team forward with quick decisive passes. High pass completion doesn't mean the player particularly excels in the passing area of their game. I bet Colback's was canny high too, all backwards.

See my other point, "chance creation" :lol:

People are seriously advocating getting rid of Shelvey? Have you seen the quality of our squad? Do you trust Mike Ashley to fund even a like or like (ability wise) replacement?

We need more quality, to join the squad and compete with Shelvey. He's one of the more talented players in our squad, playing in a team with little quality. He's more than capable at this level with better players around him.

Agree, even though I think he's a moron.

Erm, you said it yourself - passing...  :lol:

When we're actually playing on the front foot and have possession for decent stints, Shelvey is comfortably the best & most talented player in our squad.

Ah right, I thought when you said "areas" which is plural you might be talking about more than one area. Silly me

See my other point, "chance creation" :lol:

Shelvey creates plenty of chances tbh, his passes from deep out to the wings for Yedlin/Ritchie create such a high percentage of our goals in the last year. I'd like to know more about this chance creation stat you're referring to, and more so how it's decided. Say Shelvey finds a killer ball for Yedlin on the wing who crosses it into the box for one of our attackers. I would hazard a guess that Yedlin would be attributed with creating the chance, when really it wouldn't have been possible without the initial pass from Shelvey.

When we're actually playing on the front foot and have possession for decent stints, Shelvey is comfortably the best & most talented player in our squad.

Ah right, I thought when you said "areas" which is plural you might be talking about more than one area. Silly me

Terribly sorry friend.

Vision would be another, which is a separate attribute to passing, although they go hand-in-hand. His vision is out of this world at times. Brilliant.

Terribly sorry friend.

Vision would be another, which is a separate attribute to passing, although they go hand-in-hand. His vision is out of this world at times. Brilliant.

You're seriously suggesting Shelvey has better vision than Merino when it comes to passes? What? What?! :lol:

How many of our games have you been at this season? Not being funny but you really don't see the full picture when watching on TV.

Bit of a shit argument lead in, as you're stating your opinion as the correct one before we've even discuss anything :lol:

Whilst I agree the viewing experience is much more enjoyable live at a stadium, I much prefer to watch a game again (or see highlights) on TV to get a proper idea of how certain players played. We just vary in opinion there, but in my eyes it's all about personal preference than anything else.

Jamie Carragher's main attribute was his tackling and he ended up playing as a defender, Shelvey is a central midfelder whose main attribute is his passing so not really a relevant comparison.

As much as merino looks classy at times, hes a lazy fucker who doesnt follow players and in two of our defeats on our terrible run was somewhat at fault for goals shipped.

These were games Shelvey spent on the bench. Personally I think a lot has to do with Rafa not being keen on him(Shelvey) a bit like the Mitrovic situation and fans just jumping on board the hate train.

I dont think its possible to judge who the better player out of him and Merino are, its still very new for Merino, he could end up one of those that look good to start then go backwards. For me Perez looked a prospect when he came here even under a shithouse like Pardew, yet hes gone to shit. Once of Spurs and Barcelona's admiring now a none entity. Id break someones hand off if they came in for Perez.

Guest firetotheworks

What was the last signing that got you off your seat and thought "I can't wait to see him in a black and white shirt" ?

Remy, but Ben Arfa was off the scale.

What was the last signing that got you off your seat and thought "I can't wait to see him in a black and white shirt" ?

Remy, but Ben Arfa was off the scale.

When Ben Arfa debuted for us, man, felt like football was like it was when I was a child. Pure unbridled joy.

Terribly sorry friend.

You're seriously suggesting Shelvey has better vision than Merino when it comes to passes? What? What?! :lol:

In what world has Merino shown a better eye for a pass than Shelvey?

I think Merino looks a potentially very good player, and his ability to see and pick out a pass is obviously pretty great by our standards, but I'm honestly stumped why people think he's a better passer than Shelvey, or even that he can spot a pass better. Its basically all Shelvey is strong at, but he is very, very good at it.

Shelvey's biggest problem is his workrate and hiss complete lack of ability to impose himself when the other team have the ball, something Merino is fantastic at. Merino also has far better technique so he's better at getting himself out of a tight spot which means he looks far more comfortable when there isn't much room in the middle. We don't need to go over the top about it though.

EDIT:

And I've said it before, but replace Shelvey with Hayden in the middle and we're no better defensively - despite Shelvey being blamed for every goal we concede. We're just not strong enough as a unit.