Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Werw, when did Shelvey become a 20 million player, I must have missed that run of games. We overpaid for him, massively.

Nah, you just missed the market changing. The market where, for example, other English players such as Andre Gray (£18.5m), Oxlade Chamberlain (£35m), Danny Drinkwater (£34m), Jordan Pickford (£25m), Michael Keane (£35m), Kyle Walker (£50m), John Stones (£50m) aren't worth what they're bought for either. Shelvey didn't become a £20m player, a £20m player became Shelvey. Either way he's certainly not a £12m player. £12m for even a relatively established English player now gets you someone like Sam Clucas, Will Hughes, or if you're lucky Jack Cork.

All overpriced, but each a better player in what they do and their role for their respective club’s than Shelvey. 12m though is a p*ss take given we probably paid that for him, no?

You clearly haven't watched much of Andre Gray then  :lol:

I know who I’d rather have for 20m or under...

You may, it doesn't make it right though.

I think Gray gives Leicester far more to their cause, especially going forward, than Shelvey does to ours, zero goals, zero assists or 1 assist whatever it is. Red card waiting to happen. Shagged after 60 minutes. Etc. Etc.

I think you have mixed up Demarai with Andre. Think again  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Werw, when did Shelvey become a 20 million player, I must have missed that run of games. We overpaid for him, massively.

Nah, you just missed the market changing. The market where, for example, other English players such as Andre Gray (£18.5m), Oxlade Chamberlain (£35m), Danny Drinkwater (£34m), Jordan Pickford (£25m), Michael Keane (£35m), Kyle Walker (£50m), John Stones (£50m) aren't worth what they're bought for either. Shelvey didn't become a £20m player, a £20m player became Shelvey. Either way he's certainly not a £12m player. £12m for even a relatively established English player now gets you someone like Sam Clucas, Will Hughes, or if you're lucky Jack Cork.

All overpriced, but each a better player in what they do and their role for their respective club’s than Shelvey. 12m though is a p*ss take given we probably paid that for him, no?

I think Gray gives Leicester far more to their cause, especially going forward, than Shelvey does to ours, zero goals, zero assists or 1 assist whatever it is. Red card waiting to happen. Shagged after 60 minutes. Etc. Etc.

I can say with complete confidence that Gray has done absolutely nothing for Leicester.

Aye, Disco's got a point like. #votekaka

Shelvey is a luxury player no doubt, but for a fringe (ex-) England player 12m seems off the mark given todays prices and future TV deals driving prices even higher.

He'd fit better in a dominating attacking team, sitting deep and seeing the space is his forte. Even then he'd be a bit of a liability when possession turns - especially on counters. So even in the right team it seems he's a bit of a luxury.

It annoys me when I see him pointing this way and that, it looks to me like he's saying 'I don't want the ball right now' and he walks close to an opposition player to make sure the ball doesn't come, yet there is frequently space about him and he could point and move instead of just walking. Reminds me of fucking Colback when he does that, Colback was the master of disappearing in midfield when he needed a minute or two of rest deliberately getting imbetween players.

Saw some people calling him thick, disagree with that - I think he's a pretty intelligent player, the problem is his emotions. They make him thick when he loses it, which is too frequent.

I seriously doubt he'll ever play for England again but even then he's got to be worth more than a paltry 12m. Prices are insane these days but they are what they are.

Can't sell without a replacement, and I'm sure Rafe wouldn't, but Mike will.

I can say with complete confidence that Gray has done absolutely nothing for Leicester.

He plays for Watford dummy.

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s basically a nastier and uglier Viana without the silky touches. Great vision, great passer of a ball (note OF A BALL), but too slow, too immobile and too lethargic to become anything other than a luxury player who needs lots of time and space to stamp what limited authority he has on a game. I’d love to see him and players like him in our game move abroad to see how they would fare, I actually think he’d stand out and become a better player for it. It may improve his England chances as well. Iniesta’s replacement at Barca?

Guest firetotheworks

That's Demarai Gray, who has definitely given Leicester more than Shelvey gives to us recently, but I was talking about Andre Gray at Watford.

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh well in that case... :lol:

Shelvey it is!

Guest firetotheworks

I can say with complete confidence that that Gray has done absolutely nothing for Leicester.

He plays for Watford, dummy.

Fixed your posts, daft shite.

Oh well in that case... :lol:

Shelvey it is!

Brilliant! I'm glad you've seen the light, HTT.

O0

I can say with complete confidence that that Gray has done absolutely nothing for Leicester.

Fixed your posts, daft s****.

Hey dummy. I responded to HTT's post, as he clearly had the wrong Gray, so it made perfect sense.

Sorry you got whooshed. Try to be smarter next time. Ha ha ha!

Guest firetotheworks

Hey dummy. I responded to HTT's post, as he clearly had the wrong Gray, so it made perfect sense.

I just assumed you'd played along and were also talking about Demarai. My mistake, I wrongly assumed that were being as clueless about football as you normally are. ;)

Clucas and Hughes are better players than Shelvey - Cork I'm not so sure about. This is all irrelevant anyway, if Rafa is happy to get rid of him then we should do so. I doubt he would sanction a transfer if Shelvey was of any use.

:lol:

I just assumed you'd played along and were also talking about Demarai. My mistake, I wrongly assumed that were being as clueless about football as you normally are. ;)

No worries man. No offence taken!

Just wanted to make sure my brilliant gag got more credit.

I'm so underrated man  :(

I'm a fan of Shelvey, but as i think someone mentioned earlier he doesn't really fit into Rafa's preferred style of playing, so if we could replace him with more of a destroyer type to play in a 2 alongside Hayden/Merino then I would be OK with it.

Need a replacement before selling though - pretty sure Rafa knows this, and makes any move this window very unlikely.

A few mentions of Sandro on loan from Everton.

The £20m striker mystery solved.

Not really considering the narrative from the Chronicle and Sky Sports has been that we would break our transfer record. We're not going to pay £20m to take someone on loan for 4 months.