Group B - Wales (Q), England (Q), Slovakia (Q), Russia

Wullie

Had Vardy and Townsend been playing tonight, we would have won. Sterling shouldn't be in the squad, never mind starting. Russia are really not very good, and we couldnt beat them ffs.

Rooney played really well first half IMO, and before the game I certainly wouldn't have picked him. Sterling started well and lost his way, again a player I probably wouldn't have picked.

It was a good performance overall, let down by the sucker punch right at the end after we inevitably dropped too deep and asked for it.

:thup: I could criticise the starting team but ultimately we looked absolutely fine for pretty much the entire game. We weren't amazing by any stretch and Russia look totally shite but I think everyone bar Sterling and Kane justified their place.

Not bringing on Vardy is genuinely worrying though.

Sterling was not at his best today, but he does cause havoc and pushes defenders back.

Who replaces him in the team if he is dropped next game? The only option is seemingly Milner! Not cool. Andros should have gone.

Maybe Rooney on the left and Vardy and Kane up top? Tough call man. We all know Rooney will always be in there.

Lennon and Souness scathing of England on Irish TV

Haha can picture it now as Souness gives his horrifically honest and accurate analysis and shoots Lennon a glare who'd be like 'Yeah - Yeah.. and..." :lol:

I know I/we are biased but he made a real mistake not taking Townsend. There are only two attacking players in the entire squad with any pace at all, and only one who can play wide (who is in poor form).

Kane was so bad

Kane's quality, he's just not a winger, neither is Vardy. Both are class forwards, but they aren't being played as such. Woy is doing a McClaren and trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Eh, Kane played centrally for 90 minutes [emoji38]

It's not so much about what position Kane played or what Vardy might have done instead. Vardy is able to use his pace to his maximum in the premier because of the way Leicester are set up to counter attack from deep. I just think Hodgson is picking names rather than a clear system to make the best use of his squad.

What has Sterling ever done in his career other than a handful of 'excellent performances'? He's bang average. Plays well one in every 5/6 games like most other footballers who are nowhere near internationals.

Overrated as fuck purely because he played for a crap Liverpool side with nobody else at the time.

Kane was so bad

Kane's quality, he's just not a winger, neither is Vardy. Both are class forwards, but they aren't being played as such. Woy is doing a McClaren and trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Eh, Kane played centrally for 90 minutes [emoji38]

It's not so much about what position Kane played or what Vardy might have done instead. Vardy is able to use his pace to his maximum in the premier because of the way Leicester are set up to counter attack from deep. I just think Hodgson is picking names rather than a clear system to make the best use of his squad.

So much backpedaling :lol:

I know I/we are biased but he made a real mistake not taking Townsend. There are only two attacking players in the entire squad with any pace at all, and only one who can play wide (who is in poor form).

I said the same when Townsend was left out. Sterling had the Russians shit scared of his pace in the first half but he didn't make it count. He's been crap for Man City all season. Not a big game player IMO.

Precisely. We cannot drop Sterling, even if he plays as pants as he did tonight.

Aye, madness that he isn't  in, even Antonio would be an asset instead of one paced midfielders or 5 strikers