Group B - Wales (Q), England (Q), Slovakia (Q), Russia

Wullie

Kane was so bad

Kane's quality, he's just not a winger, neither is Vardy. Both are class forwards, but they aren't being played as such. Woy is doing a McClaren and trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Eh, Kane played centrally for 90 minutes [emoji38]

It's not so much about what position Kane played or what Vardy might have done instead. Vardy is able to use his pace to his maximum in the premier because of the way Leicester are set up to counter attack from deep. I just think Hodgson is picking names rather than a clear system to make the best use of his squad.

So much backpedaling :lol:

So much ignoring the bigger picture.

Kane was so bad

Kane's quality, he's just not a winger, neither is Vardy. Both are class forwards, but they aren't being played as such. Woy is doing a McClaren and trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Eh, Kane played centrally for 90 minutes [emoji38]

It's not so much about what position Kane played or what Vardy might have done instead. Vardy is able to use his pace to his maximum in the premier because of the way Leicester are set up to counter attack from deep. I just think Hodgson is picking names rather than a clear system to make the best use of his squad.

So much backpedaling :lol:

So much ignoring the bigger picture.

:lol:

Welbeck was a big loss tbh, he does all thst Milner running around s*** that Roy loves but is quick as well, wouldve started today

Yep he would have played in place of Sterling IMO quite a loss tbh as he normally plays quite well for Eng tbf

Welbeck was a big loss tbh, he does all thst Milner running around s*** that Roy loves but is quick as well, wouldve started today

Yep he would have played in place of Sterling IMO quite a loss tbh as he normally plays quite well for Eng tbf

He'd be perfect for that team.

Townsend was a really obvious choice, there was no feasible argument I can think of against including him in the squad.

This isn't me being a dick, but would people have said this (not you) before he signed for us? I read some horrific posts about him when be first joined.

We changed a tiring Wayne Rooney with 15 minutes to go with Jack Wilshere, that's not a tremendous differently change because both help us play. The other one was Raheem Sterling, who had made a couple of long runs, with James Milner, with the thought to shore things up against us a bit and help with set-pieces. That didn't work out.

At least he's admitted so.

Townsend was a really obvious choice, there was no feasible argument I can think of against including him in the squad.

This isn't me being a dick, but would people have said this (not you) before he signed for us? I read some horrific posts about him when be first joined.

I massively underrated him before he signed for us, happy to admit that. When Hodgson looked at his squad of 26 though (24 with injuries) dropping Townsend made no sense from a tactical POV. We've ended up with a needlessly unbalanced squad, it's a lot similar to the problem Newcastle had last season.

I supported his signing at the time because of his performances for England. After his signing here if anything I thought we'd signed a headless chicken, so I was really surprised to see that he actually lived up to the Youtube videos. He's been much better than I expected especially in pressure situations,

He wasn't in form before he signed for us though, he hadn't played for over six months. ???

I wasn't particularly a fan of signing Townsend, and he looked bang average at first, but he was really excellent for the last few games, and improving every game to the point where he was absolutely fantastic against Spurs (i.e. most of the England team). It's a cliche but England managers rarely take form into account when it's exactly what you need going into a tournament. It's six or seven games absolute max and you need the players who are most impressive at the time.

It's like the play-offs - never just back the team who finished highest, back the team that's in form.

He wasn't in form before he signed for us though, he hadn't played for over six months. ???

I wasn't particularly a fan of signing Townsend, and he looked bang average at first, but he was really excellent for the last few games, and improving every game to the point where he was absolutely fantastic against Spurs (i.e. most of the England team). It's a cliche but England managers rarely take form into account when it's exactly what you need going into a tournament. It's six or seven games and you need the players who are most impressive at the time.

It's like the play-offs - never just back the team who finished highest, back the team that's in form.

But at the same time you don't judge others

I wasn't particularly a fan of signing Townsend, and he looked bang average at first, but he was really excellent for the last few games, and improving every game to the point where he was absolutely fantastic against Spurs (i.e. most of the England team). It's a cliche but England managers rarely take form into account when it's exactly what you need going into a tournament. It's six or seven games and you need the players who are most impressive at the time.

But at the same time you don't just judge him on the last 6 months, you judge on what you know of him . go back to when we signed him, there were comments about him being the next obertan etc.

Rashford was Roys attempt at showing himself to be a risk taker (by bowing to media pressure), he probably wont even get on the pitch and the squad is unbalanced as a result.

:thup:

Absolutely no need to take five strikers when you're playing one up front.

Hodgson wouldn't have been judging him on the last six months though, he's capped Townsend many times before, he's obviously somewhat of a fan anyway so I can't understand his thought process in taking so many strikers instead of dumping one of them and adding Townsend.

And form is important so you have to put more weight on the last six months than what went before. Before the last WC, Sterling was in excellent form for Liverpool. Now he's very far from that, and so taking him as the only wide player with pace was stupidity.

A point that nobody has mentioned was that bang about a minute before Russia scored. I was shitting myself that someone had set a bomb off like the Stade de France and I can't have been the only one, I was desperate for the game to finish at that point in case something had happened. I think if I'd been on the pitch, that would have affected my concentration big time.

Guest Open_C

A point that nobody has mentioned was that bang about a minute before Russia scored. I was shitting myself that someone had set a bomb off like the Stade de France and I can't have been the only one, I was desperate for the game to finish at that point in case something had happened. I think if I'd been on the pitch, that would have affected my concentration big time.

Aye, Tyldesly called firework but I wasn't convinced

Football can be a bastard. 1 minute away from that being genuinely one of our best opening games ever. I don't want to overreact, I think the result was 90% bad luck but the subs were clearly crap. The game was tailor made for Vardy (even before you take into account Kane's ineffectiveness).  Wales game is massive now, but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic...

Aye, Tyldesly called firework but I wasn't convinced

Must have been near the mic because it was so loud on the ITV broadcast.