Group E - Italy (Q), Belgium (Q), Ireland (Q), Swe - ITA 0-1 IRL | SWE 0-1 BEL

Wullie

Never imagined being an Eire fan was so trying. I'm forced to root for Italy in a game. That's too much FFS.

You're not doing it properly.  You're meant to be so drunk you forget there's football on.

Never imagined being an Eire fan was so trying. I'm forced to root for Italy in a game. That's too much FFS.

You're not doing it properly.  You're meant to be so drunk you forget there's football on.

You got half of it right at least. :lol:

Next Euros need 16 or 32 teams, not this 3rd place qualifying crap.

Stuck with 24 for the next one I think.  The weird format means that adding more teams now would be a nightmare logistically.

The World Cup was like this from 82 to 94.  I don't remember - were the group stages bad back then too?

Stuck with 24 for the next one I think.  The weird format means that adding more teams now would be a nightmare logistically.

The World Cup was like this from 82 to 94.  I don't remember - were the group stages bad back then too?

Yeah, I don't really want to go back to 16 as there are still many good to decent nations missing these Euros with 24 teams. Only problem with 32 is that the qualifications becomes almost worthless.

The 82 WC had two group stages, the other three had the same format as this EC.

And yeah, I think the 1986-94 group stages were even worse, given that in the WC you have several minnows that are automatic #4, which means some of those groups were pointless. There's more upsets since only 2 per group qualify, which you may like or not.

The 82 WC had two group stages, the other three had the same format as this EC.

And yeah, I think the 1986-94 group stages were even worse, given that in the WC you have several minnows that are automatic #4, which means some of those groups were pointless.

England's group in '90 being the perfect example.

Yeah, I don't really want to go back to 16 as there are still many good to decent nations missing these Euros with 24 teams. Only problem with 32 is that the qualifications becomes almost worthless.

12 teams qualify for the NFL playoffs.  They should copy them and introduce byes.  Top two from each group go through, but the best 4 teams advance straight to the QFs.  Would encourage teams to go for 3 wins.