Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

11 hours ago, jack j said:

Atmosphere against palace was shit and that's with flags on the go. Tbh I think the flags every game loses abit effect. Don't think they need to be rolled out every home game

Heard this before. It was/seemed a good atmosphere where I was. Where were you? Often sounds/seems a bit meh if you’re in the Milburn for example. 

45 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

'Having a go'? Do you mean...having a debate? I can't see any abuse.

:rolleyes: Ok, criticising people for daring to discuss the merits of having a display. I mean, even an admin did that. 

Admittedly, I've not read every post, but where are the ones claiming debates aren't allowed?

10 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Absolutely but calling him out in front of his family whilst his mother was being carted up the Royal Mile was out of order. I would say that regarding anybody aswell, there’s a time and place.

I understand that sentiment and argument, but I think there’s room to also argue that there are very few situations where “subjects” are allowed near the family to actually make their views of them known; I also think doing so in that scenario was an act of courage given that he wasn’t likely to get that “audience” with media attention. 

I think beating him and throwing him on the floor and arresting him was absurd, although I do concede your time and place argument has merit. I think it’s a difficult nuance - it was simultaneously right and wrong, and necessary and unnecessary, which makes it hard. 

This is not meant as a criticism, it’s a genuine question from someone who feels no connection to them at all: what is about them that promotes strong feelings of national pride in you?

17 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I understand that sentiment and argument, but I think there’s room to also argue that there are very few situations where “subjects” are allowed near the family to actually make their views of them known; I also think doing so in that scenario was an act of courage given that he wasn’t likely to get that “audience” with media attention. 

I think beating him and throwing him on the floor and arresting him was absurd, although I do concede your time and place argument has merit. I think it’s a difficult nuance - it was simultaneously right and wrong, and necessary and unnecessary, which makes it hard. 

This is not meant as a criticism, it’s a genuine question from someone who feels no connection to them at all: what is about them that promotes strong feelings of national pride in you?

I don’t blindly support the royals and Andrew is a despicable individual, however the Queen has earned respect through her service to the country in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

Everyone just be mindful and respectful towards each other, cant believe i have to type that. 

I’m not sure it’s that simple. There are people who find the celebration of an institution that has, at the very least, been related to some pretty grotesque stuff (colonialism? Mass impoverishment?) fundamentally disrespectful. There are others who then find people who think that disrespectful. 

I would observe the silence but wouldn’t sing the anthem. I was raised not to as a child and I agree with my parents’ reasoning in teaching me not to. I’m certainly not singing it for Charles, who (if you followed the Panama papers leaks) is, at best, quite disingenuous when he talks about serving his subjects with love and devotion. 5 days after he said that he made his home staff redundant. 

This isn’t to pick a fight, but I hope I’m conveying that “be quiet and respect the moment” isn’t a stance that works for everyone. I don’t believe the royal family respect me so I don’t return the favour. 

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I don’t blindly support the royals and Andrew is a despicable individual, however the Queen has earned respect through her service to the country in my opinion. 

Yeh that’s fair enough - sorry, I hope I’m not coming across as a prick; I just enjoy debate because you learn that way. The aim of argument is not to “win” but to progress and self-improve!

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Yeh that’s fair enough - sorry, I hope I’m not coming across as a prick; I just enjoy debate because you learn that way. The aim of argument is not to “win” but to progress and self-improve!

No problem with that mate.

3 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

It's also the first time in 70 years a new unelected head of state has been appointed. The only 'right' time is a time that the press and royal can easily ignore it...

I'm uneasy with the concept of 'being proud to be British' or any nationality because what does it even mean - but if anything makes me proud, it's the world seeing people protesting and just taking the piss, cutting through the absurdity of this nonsense.

As soon as the parades and ceremonies stop it will be “why are you focusing on this now instead of the cost of living crisis/Ukraine/whatever else is in the news that week?”. There is never a right time to question the monarchy.

42 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Nah but showing respect for the dead and the rest of their family does.

After stripping away all my views on politics and the monarchy, I have to say, I'm very much struggling to muster much respect for a lady who paid off her nonce sons legal fees (with other people's money) and even less so of the gentleman who's disregarded public opinion on the matter and popped Prince nonce straight back into the limelight. 

But anyway, I digress. 

Sensible decision by Wor Flags.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There ye gan, silence observer impeccably, ‘God Save the King’ … not exactly bellowed out.  Amused me when they zoomed in on the crowds - most not singing, some of those who were were clearly singing ‘God Save the Queen’ …

Couldn't work out if the Anthem music was too loud or if there was nobody signing, most round me didnt though. 99% of people stood and applauded on 70 mins though including Trippier