Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

11 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Couldn't work out if the Anthem music was too loud or if there was nobody signing, most round me didnt though. 99% of people stood and applauded on 70 mins though including Trippier

People in my row just stood for the anthem. We really missed the pre-match atmosphere and build up today, was flat all the way though. 

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Worrying that the modern crowd of today need a flag display to get them going though.

Perhaps, but in addition to that there was no music or anything. Not even local hero. It was just dead. A forced mourning for a family that most don’t really give a shit about.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

We were at home to a team we were expecting to beat, had over 70% possession, put in a shite performance and created fuck all from open play during a 3pm kick off. It's no wonder the atmosphere was as flat as a witch's tit.

The lack of flags, no music, no local hero, minutes silence etc were all massive factors in such a shit atmosphere.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Worrying that the modern crowd of today need a flag display to get them going though.

True that like

And even worse that people need music to sing along to. Just goes to show its all abit contrived

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

The lack of flags, no music, no local hero, minutes silence etc were all massive factors in such a shit atmosphere.

That as well but when people have a go at Man City for shite home atmospheres it's no wonder when the vast majority of their games are like ours today, only they actually create stuff and score goals and have been for >5 years :lol:

On 17/09/2022 at 08:31, reefatoon said:

People just need to go and enjoy the football man. All this poncing around on both sides is fucking ridiculous. Whichever way you lean, just go and enjoy hopefully seeing a win and getting us in the top 6. Bunch of fucking weirdos the lot of you [emoji38]

:lol:

Tbh every time I go to SJP these days I'm reminded of why I barely relate to some of the ones who go. Whether it's day-trippers incessantly nattering through the game, obscene levels of whinging at certain things, witnessing only 75 minutes of the game cos they're late to their seat both halves/leave the game early, or fucking booing at the end - you're never far from a whopper. Couldn't believe the state of the Leazes/Milburn exodus at around 41 minutes. Are you that fucking desperate to get to the shop, man? Jesus. 

WF really have done an incredible job at just getting people to bloody focus on the occasion, let alone get the atmosphere going. :lol:

In before some "I really must pick up a manual of how to attend SJP" smartarsery.

On 18/09/2022 at 11:24, Yorkie said:

Tbh every time I go to SJP these days I'm reminded of why I barely relate to some of the ones who go. Whether it's day-trippers incessantly nattering through the game, obscene levels of whinging at certain things, witnessing only 75 minutes of the game cos they're late to their seat both halves/leave the game early, or fucking booing at the end - you're never far from a whopper. Couldn't believe the state of the Leazes/Milburn exodus at around 41 minutes. Are you that fucking desperate to get to the shop, man? Jesus. 

WF really have done an incredible job at just getting people to bloody focus on the occasion, let alone get the atmosphere going. :lol:

In before some "I really must pick up a manual of how to attend SJP" smartarsery.

Shoot me down, but the decline in the quality of our support started with Kevin Keegan. Prior to that, apart from some Boo Boys, support was very vocal no matter how good or bad we were. Original chants and songs popped up all the time. The whole ground knew how to sing the Blaydon races at the right speed with the right words. NEW-CASS-SELL  reverberated from all four ends especially when we went behind. The 20 or so thousands back then made a lot more noise then todays lot 

1 hour ago, plenum said:

I get it that it's a flat atmosphere on occasion at home, but we should try and support vocally throughout the ups and downs in every match, a bit more of the away crowd mentality would be a benchmark.

Hopefully railed seating will help in Gallowgate with more designated singing sections etc

23 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Hopefully railed seating will help in Gallowgate with more designated singing sections etc

Desperate for it if I’m honest. I managed to start a couple in the Leazes/East corner but the whole atmosphere can’t be relied upon WF and the Strawberry corner.

4 hours ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

Shoot me down, but the decline in the quality of our support started with Kevin Keegan. Prior to that, apart from some Boo Boys, support was very vocal no matter how good or bad we were. Original chants and songs popped up all the time. The whole ground knew how to sing the Blaydon races at the right speed with the right words. NEW-CASS-SELL  reverberated from all four ends especially when we went behind. The 20 or so thousands back then made a lot more noise then todays lot 

I was 18 when Keegan took over, and yes there was a definite change in the years that followed but I put it down to going all seater as much as anything else.  There’s just nothing in today’s match day experience that’s like the immediate aftermath of a goal being scored witnessed from a packed terrace - for better or for worse.  That energy lasted longer than the minute or two we often see following a goal today

2 minutes ago, Crayola Kid said:

I was 18 when Keegan took over, and yes there was a definite change in the years that followed but I put it down to going all seater as much as anything else.  There’s just nothing in today’s match day experience that’s like the immediate aftermath of a goal being scored witnessed from a packed terrace - for better or for worse.  That energy lasted longer than the minute or two we often see following a goal today

It sounds odd and off the modern line but standing, the amount of beer consumed then, less care about kids, little segregation.  It was always going to be more vociferous.   A shit load more bother though.  I think we are fine as things are, Wor Flags is important a lot more than a lot realise I think.  It just gets shit going.

There's some miserable cunts get in the ground like, seeing people being threatened for protesting went a long way with me losing identification with the match going fanbase. The thing with the chanting, it doesn't carry in the stadium very well,so it's down to sections of the crowd and a lot of people can't be arsed with it so it seems

It was my first time back in years but it felt unique like and the match didn't help to get the crowd in the right mood. Weird atmosphere among fans pre-match, weird atmosphere in SJP, strange pre-match music, subdued feeling with the minute's silence, a mixed reaction to the national anthem with very few singing it and some sitting down.

All of it contributed to a feeling of things just being a bit off.

Then it just continued throughout the match with all of the things that are annoying, people coming in 5-10 minutes late, leaving on 40 minutes then the same again 2nd half. Absolute never-has-beens telling Kieran Trippier what is and isn't a good ball or decision. :lol: Players doing something positive and winning a corner and instead of encouraging them, whinging because it wasn't the perfect ball. Far too many go on like football consumers rather than supporters.

Like I say though the match itself did little to lift the crowd and take them away from that. Maybe if it had no one would have been leaving, whinging and so on.

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It was my first time back in years but it felt unique like and the match didn't help to get the crowd in the right mood. Weird atmosphere among fans pre-match, weird atmosphere in SJP, strange pre-match music, subdued feeling with the minute's silence, a mixed reaction to the national anthem with very few singing it and some sitting down.

All of it contributed to a feeling of things just being a bit off.

Then it just continued throughout the match with all of the things that are annoying, people coming in 5-10 minutes late, leaving on 40 minutes then the same again 2nd half. Absolute never-has-beens telling Kieran Trippier what is and isn't a good ball or decision. :lol: Players doing something positive and winning a corner and instead of encouraging them, whinging because it wasn't the perfect ball. Far too many go on like football consumers rather than supporters.

Like I say though the match itself did little to lift the crowd and take them away from that. Maybe if it had no one would have been leaving, whinging and so on.

I tend to think it's the crowd's job to lift the team. We've been shite for years and WF have taken the gauntlet and are doing a great job, but the average football fan is no longer the average football fan. The average football fan is now just the average person who goes to the match.