Matz Sels

Guest hindu times

He's not to blame for yesterday, I don't think anyone is directly, Diame and Gayle should have scored at least 1 each and Mitrovic's dodgy flick put us under the pressure that lead to the goal, Sels could have done better with the goal and was far too flappy on crosses, but overall a lot of the team made some pretty unacceptable errors. Can't call Sels out and not other players. I'm not Sels biggest fan, but that isn't helping anyone, tosser!

Personally I would prefer Darlow, I don't think he did much wrong to be dropped, but then I am okay with Sels as well, I think he'll continue to improve as he gets used to English football. As for fans being mongs on twitter, that's part of life at a football club, seems like he dealt with it by deleting his account so fair play.

Guest firetotheworks

Goalkeepers are a bit weird because it's hard to tell how much of an affect they have on the defence. So far we've had a few clean sheets with him in goal and although he's looked shaky, it's hard to know what his influence in organising the defence has been.

Goalkeepers are a bit weird because it's hard to tell how much of an affect they have on the defence. So far we've had a few clean sheets with him in goal and although he's looked shaky, it's hard to know what his influence in organising the defence has been.

Interesting piece on .com

The Belgian stopper's indecision and poor handling was clearly affecting those in front of him with Jamaal Lascelles clearly waving his hands in frustration towards the bench after Sels completely missed yet another cross.

Did that actually happen? I presume it was the one in the first half when the ball went straight through Sels' hands, rather than catching the simple cross.

The whole defence look terrified when crosses come into the box, because nobody has any ounce of expectation that Sels will deal with it.

Guest neesy111

It's been 20 years since we had a keeper that commanded his box properly tbh.  Most of our recent GK's have been planted to the goal line, especially Krul and Elliott.

Seems it's flavour of the month to hammer this guy for anything it seems.  Quite pathetic tbh.  He made a bad mistake, get over it.  Elliott made 2-3 serious gaffes last season.

Still ended up player of the season though.

If your captain is indicating to the bench his keeper is a lump of shit, it sends a convincing message most fans are seeing this and it's not a massive over reaction.

Guest neesy111

Seems to be made of stern stuff. Throwing toys out of the pram because of a few children giving him stick. Needs to grow a pair of balls and hands ASAP or he can fuck off.

Not enough :anguish: for this post.

Guest neesy111

Seems it's flavour of the month to hammer this guy for anything it seems.  Quite pathetic tbh.  He made a bad mistake, get over it.  Elliott made 2-3 serious gaffes last season.

If your captain is indicating to the bench his keeper is a lump of shit, it sends a convincing message most fans are seeing this and it's not a massive over reaction.

Except he wasn't.

Interesting piece on .com

The Belgian stopper's indecision and poor handling was clearly affecting those in front of him with Jamaal Lascelles clearly waving his hands in frustration towards the bench after Sels completely missed yet another cross.

Did that actually happen? I presume it was the one in the first half when the ball went straight through Sels' hands, rather than catching the simple cross.

The whole defence look terrified when crosses come into the box, because nobody has any ounce of expectation that Sels will deal with it.

Can't remember that happening in particular but I can remember seeing Lascelles having a go at Sels after a Villa attack in the first half. It didn't look as if Sels took the criticism well - doesn't strike me as a confident individual when under pressure.

Except he wasn't.

Fans or players, he was one of

Clarify are we talking Elliot, or Lascelles here?

Feel sorry for the lad tbh.  He's very much Rafa's man and I can see the situation getting political.  Nobody thought he was needed and he doesn't look like an improvement on what we have. 

I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt but he's looked so poor.  Unconvincing.  That 'punch' at the end made me cringe. the defence doesn't trust him.  Lascelles is probably mates with Darlow which doesn't help his cause. 

If he was an outfield player he would've been dropped by now. 

Guest neesy111

It's been 20 years since we had a keeper that commanded his box properly tbh.  Most of our recent GK's have been planted to the goal line, especially Krul and Elliott.

Given was the worst for this. Sels would be better off being on his line more.

I feel he's under pressure to be dominating his box more.  Rafa traditionally wants a GK like that.

I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line too...but if not the crowd need to get behind him. It's obviously a confidence / settling in issue.

Our fans in recent years seem to have become so detached from what support is. The Sky generation as I like to call them. If they're not Sky fans they're Green Street re-enactors

Guest neesy111

I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line too...but if not the crowd need to get behind him. It's obviously a confidence / settling in issue.

Our fans in recent years seem to have become so detached from what support is. The Sky generation as I like to call them. If they're not Sky fans they're Green Street re-enactors

:thup:

i can't quantify what i see when i'm watching him, have tried before but it's so hard...for example what's stood out for me in a most of the games i've seen is that his positioning, while not ostensibly terrible, seems to invite the attacker to put the ball in the space he's leaving

happened a couple of times against derby where he left masses of space at his back post and we got lucky, yesterday was the same with the offside header...he's not in totally the wrong place so it doesn't look that shit but he's sort of often just enough in the wrong place to invite trouble if that makes sense

The abuse on Twitter is ridiculous, but that shouldn't mask the fact the bloke shouldn't be starting games for us at this moment. The signs were there against Fulham, and our run of clean sheets was more down to the defence and him barely having a save to make.