Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

It wasn't just you and no yours was far from worst but I think he's earned respect for doing well by the club. 

I do rate him higher than Shelvey, Shelvely certainly can play better but mostly hasn't and has very often contributed absolutely nothing. Until slump more recently hayden could be relied upon to put in the hard yard.

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

I'd have Hayden in the team every day of the week over Shelvey.

I wouldn't have either, I want them both replaced asap. However if we're stuck with the current squad there's no way on earth any manager plays Hayden over Shelvey, especially Howe.

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Shelvey is playing well right now, but so often he tails off quite quickly and I would rather have 10 men on the pitch than have him. 

It's not the right comparison though. Hayden can't retain the ball, he can't pick a pass etc. He might be able to break play up but that's about it (and he's not even that good at that). He'd probably be ok at somewhere like Norwich or West Brom I guess.

You're not wrong it isnt a great comparison, but I do genuinely think more fondly of hayden, when he leaves should be with head held high. Shelvey it's maybe more frustration that there clearly is a player there, just not able to sustain it and then many acts of stupidity on pitch too. 

Hayden has really struggled this year; I wonder if the knee has been limiting him. Either way, he's absolutely not the standard of player we require even when fully fit. Neither is Shelvey, really, but when he's motivated he does have some decent qualities about him.

If we're going to continue to play a midfield 3 for the rest of the season, Shelvey will do as one of the trio, but he absolutely shouldn't be the deepest midfielder. No matter how motivated he is, his defensive reading of the game is poor and he lacks the athleticism to make up for the things he misses.

Hopefully, come mid-Jan, we're looking something more like Shelvey - New (Kamara?) - Joelinton as the 3.

3 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Think he'll join Watford in the Championship next summer. 

Good luck to him over there. I don't think he will be required here after this season so probably best solution all round. 

I've only listened to the first half, but it is quite telling to hear him admit publicly that Bruce was obsessed with stopping the opposition over troubling them with what we could do. I do think he likes being here, but I also think he knows that the levels of ambition speculated means he's not long for the club either. Mind you, if I was working a job and people we're talking up my replacement so publicly and like I didn't matter I'd be miffed so I get his push back on that.

Got annoyed listening to that, sounds like the perfect man to carry a defeatist attitude like the one Steve Bruce had onto the pitch.

I'm paraphrasing here but "oh yeah, the rumours we're going to sign 5 or 6 players.. but what if they don't want to come here, and what about the players who are already here with kids in school, are you just going to pay them to be in the reserves?"

Yes Isaak, that's exactly what will happen. This isn't a public servants job, it's not secure. The club is not going to decide to remain uncompetitive to keep a few players happy. You're either good enough to keep up or be left out of it.

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Got annoyed listening to that, sounds like the perfect man to carry a defeatist attitude like the one Steve Bruce had onto the pitch.

I'm paraphrasing here but "oh yeah, the rumours we're going to sign 5 or 6 players.. but what if they don't want to come here, and what about the players who are already here with kids in school, are you just going to pay them to be in the reserves?"

Yes Isaak, that's exactly what will happen. This isn't a public servants job, it's not secure. The club is not going to decide to remain uncompetitive to keep a few players happy. You're either good enough to keep up or be left out of it.

His point was that you can't just expect the existing players to instantly up and leave when they have their lives already established here and have 3/4 year contracts. They can stay there for that four year period if they want to. It's a perfectly reasonable point and one that lots of us would agree with if we were in the same position.

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

His point was that you can't just expect the existing players to instantly up and leave when they have their lives already established here and have 3/4 year contracts. They can stay there for that four year period if they want to. It's a perfectly reasonable point and one that lots of us would agree with if we were in the same position.

The nature of player contracts now lets them leave as soon as a better offer comes in, there’s zero loyalty. It works both ways, we’re not talking about players that have been here for their whole career, they should be well prepared to move on once they are not needed 

Nothing wrong with that interview and it was quite telling what he said about Bruce and also what he carefully chose not to say. Could tell he thought he was a dick. The playing in 3 positions thing was ridiculous as was the amount of formations the dinosaur used

22 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Yeah, it's not great for any player who has got comfortable here, mediocre players don't usually get to play for a high profile club. But things have changed Hayden mate, whether you are Shelvey, Clark or Isaac Hayden, this club is bigger than the players now, for the same reason Steve Bruce and Charnley were released, that will start to happen with players who can't step up as well. 

• 5 weeks later...