Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

I haven't seen many of our games last season for obvious reasons, so despite sometimes reading positive comments on here I couldn't imagine he had improved dramatically from his shambolic Villa days. I was wrong. Guess it shows how much a modicum of defensive organisation and confidence matters. Wonder what the Villa fans make of it all.

I haven't seen many of our games last season for obvious reasons, so despite sometimes reading positive comments on here I couldn't imagine he had improved dramatically from his shambolic Villa days. I was wrong. Guess it shows how much a modicum of defensive organisation and confidence matters. Wonder what the Villa fans make of it all.

They still seem to think he's crap :lol:

On VillaTalk they're going through deeper denial every good game he has in the PL.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this not his normal level though? Average/below average Premier League centre-back? It's what he's demonstrated most of his career.

Absolutely, poor Premiership defender imo. Just one of those players who far too good in the Championship but nowhere near good enough in the Premier.

Think Rafa might have knocked some of his confidence by dropping him for Lejeune when he was playing well

Perhaps. That was a strange one tbh. We were looking solid. I think he dropped a massive rick against Liverpool but Elliot made a good save 1v1 but seemingly Rafa dropped him for that.

Then Lejeune went on to drop his own clanger against Southampton. Now we have them playing together and they look awful. Lascelles seems way less error prone then them both in terms of clangers. And seems to organise the defence much better - a real leader, a calming influence.

Yesterday was the first time in a long time we've looked a shambles defensively. Need to go back to being tough to beat. Starting with midfielders that can run and provide protection.