Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

I can't think of a single other time I've been so content with our best four centre backs in the PL.

95/96 > now, both on paper and in actual results. In recent history though, it's definitely the strongest depth we've had in a long time.

Guest firetotheworks

Weirdly, I still think the 08/09 relegation defense should have been very capable on paper. Beye, Bassong, Colo, Enrique are four players who all at different times played very well for us for a season or two. Happy with the defensive side of things at the moment, organisationally more than anything.

I can't think of a single other time I've been so content with our best four centre backs in the PL.

95/96 > now, both on paper and in actual results. In recent history though, it's definitely the strongest depth we've had in a long time.

:thup: I was 6, feel bad including things that I don't truly remember myself.

I don't think our CBs are that great. They just have been well coached and drilled. Perhaps this lot do the fundamentals a lot better than some of the others in recent years, but Rafa is clearly the main difference.

Agreed. Well drilled. Focussed. Defend fairly deep and protected. Actually good in the air. For a long time Steven fucking Taylor was the best defender in the air.

I'm a big fan of Clark; at the moment he's our most dependable defender and can actually play. He's also useful from set pieces and occasionally in open play (although I'm not sure that's a good thing).

Regarding his long balls, I do find it frustrating at times but they always look targeted rather than just "cleared" up field - he often finds a man.

The main difference is that our centre halves are not total pussies in the air. Both Clark and Lascelles are decent in the air. Clark just seems to know his position well and more often than not makes the right decisions in terms of closing down, standing off and clearing the ball.

Rafa has coached players to be consistent even if they aren't flashy / can't dribble the ball 50 yards after leaping like a salmon.

Probably our first choice centre half, so composed on the ball.

Kept pumping it long today. Misses Paul it seems.

It's totally different though, he seems to know where he's playing it as he does have a good passing range on him.

Dummett absolutely does not.

It's totally different though, he seems to know where he's playing it as he does have a good passing range on him.

"Kept pumping it long" = three long balls from open play, one of which was effectively a clearance.

"Kept pumping it long" = three long balls from open play, one of which was effectively a clearance.

I can't think of many times where it's seemed like he's the only defender playing long-balls. While he's good on the ball, he doesn't strike me as a Bonucci or ALderweireld type passer. I could be wrong but I don't think Lascelles, Gamez or Manquillo played as many long-balls.

It all comes down to definitions, of course, but according to Opta Manquillo played 4 from our half, Gamez 2 and Lascelles 1.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1190229/Live/England-Premier-League-2017-2018-Swansea-Newcastle-United

Maybe Clark taking some of the deep free kicks instead of Elliot skewed your perception a bit?

I'm not saying he's great in possession but I definitely think he's tidy, he's played some smart passes up the flanks both on and off the ground.

It all comes down to definitions, of course, but according to Opta Manquillo played 4 from our half, Gamez 2 and Lascelles 1.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1190229/Live/England-Premier-League-2017-2018-Swansea-Newcastle-United

Maybe Clark taking some of the deep free kicks instead of Elliot skewed your perception a bit?

I'm not saying he's great in possession but I definitely think he's tidy, he's played some smart passes up the flanks both on and off the ground.

I actually think he's good in the pass and in the dribble, Lascelles is prob our most uncomfortable passer of the ball and in possession.