Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Think people are also overestimating how s*** the bottom 6 of the PL are.

Within the context of that league they're s***, but pretty much everything in this division is still well below it imo. I think all of the bottom 6 would beat anyone in this division.

Can't agree - no way are we significantly worse than Sunderland, Boro etc, even with the current squad.  Obviously we'd struggle and I hope we spend a hell of a lot in the summer, but I don't think you need to completely overhaul the squad to come 15-17th.

:thup: again.

When people talk about requiring a squad overhaul; if they mean 'to finish in the top 8 of the PL', I'd probably agree. If they mean purely to survive, then no, we need a few significant upgrades in a minimum of three positions.

Investments in a striker, winger and centre-mid are all as essential as each other. I wouldn't be devastated if we went into the season with Yedlin/Lascelles/Clark/Dummett as the back four. I actually believe players can improve, especially with better players in front of them.

Funnily enough, if we were to make the 4 changes that you speak of, my first choices would actually be the 'keeper, two of the back four, and a back up striker. I don't see what others seem to be seeing like, for me even to survive we'd need an overhaul.

I reckon with a DM we'd see a lot better protection of the back 4 and actually a more competent box-to-box winger on the opposite flank to Ritchie would protect one of the full backs. A striker and DM would have to be the dead-cert's for me but a CB would shore up our defence nicely. For me like, we'd have to ship out about 4 or 5 first team players for around £10million (if we can even get that) and then we'd need to spend like £30-£40million to really make us sort of West Brom standard  :lol: fuck me.

Drama queens out in force I see.

How's that high horse of yours?

It's lush, very calm and relaxing up here, you should join me.

Have put myself in a large, retrograde orbit around your high horse. Will see how the lack of reality pans out.

Guest neesy111

Within the context of that league they're s***, but pretty much everything in this division is still well below it imo. I think all of the bottom 6 would beat anyone in this division.

Can't agree - no way are we significantly worse than Sunderland, Boro etc, even with the current squad.  Obviously we'd struggle and I hope we spend a hell of a lot in the summer, but I don't think you need to completely overhaul the squad to come 15-17th.

When people talk about requiring a squad overhaul; if they mean 'to finish in the top 8 of the PL', I'd probably agree. If they mean purely to survive, then no, we need a few significant upgrades in a minimum of three positions.

Investments in a striker, winger and centre-mid are all as essential as each other. I wouldn't be devastated if we went into the season with Yedlin/Lascelles/Clark/Dummett as the back four. I actually believe players can improve, especially with better players in front of them.

Funnily enough, if we were to make the 4 changes that you speak of, my first choices would actually be the 'keeper, two of the back four, and a back up striker. I don't see what others seem to be seeing like, for me even to survive we'd need an overhaul.

I reckon with a DM we'd see a lot better protection of the back 4 and actually a more competent box-to-box winger on the opposite flank to Ritchie would protect one of the full backs. A striker and DM would have to be the dead-cert's for me but a CB would shore up our defence nicely. For me like, we'd have to ship out about 4 or 5 first team players for around £10million (if we can even get that) and then we'd need to spend like £30-£40million to really make us sort of West Brom standard  :lol: fuck me.

Make it double that in todays market.  £14m for van aanholt for example.

Everyone's talking about us not being good enough for the premier (which we aren't) but there's still a lot of hard work to do to get out of this division yet. With Gayle out, the strike force looks second rate, and at the back we are giving goals away to shit teams. That's pretty worrying considering Rafa generally sets us up not to concede goals. Some of this squad clearly don't have much grit. Better to find that out now I suppose, if we do go up we want shot of those.

This is all academic.  I can't see us going up to be perfectly honest.  There's always a team at the top that tails away and we are showing all the hallmarks of being that team.  Brighton will win today to go top.  They will then easily beat us on Tuesday on current defensive form.  I don't expect to see Gayle again this seasonn as he has a history of hamstring injuries so we can't rely on his goals to save us.

Make it double that in todays market.  £14m for van aanholt for example.

Aye, quite possibly. Reckon you'd need to spend £10-12million on the DM and CB each then probably a good £20million on a decent striker.

If Gayle stays for the rest of the season, we'll comfortably finish first, IMO.

Well that's the point, he's not fit, and hasn't been for the last month. We can't just assume he's going to recover and stay fit for the rest of the season.

I'm certainly not confident we are not putting teams under pressure from the off and these negative tactics have to stop especially at home. Defensively we are a mistake waiting to happen and I would be inclined to drop Darlow and Lascelles for a bit. Up front we are lacking a cutting edge and need Gayle back at the earliest opportunity as he is the only one who regularly gets goals. As for the continuous playing of Colback, Perez and Gouffran has to stop as they offer virtually nothing. This team in the last few months has lost twice to Blackburn and drew with QPR and Bristol losing 10 points which should have been a given.

It's alright for some on here saying it's too early to be concerned but the warning signs have been for 2 months now and if the same continues we will certainly struggle to go up automatically. We have spent over 50 million and should have the best team in the league - with the right selection, right formation and right tactics I still believe we have.

its hard to be comfortable , ive no idea if we will do this, i fear defeat at Brighton and Hudders then its proper squeeky bum time.

cant see us winning the league now, we just don't look like dominating teams, its us or Hudders.

You're not going to with negative tactics we have the players and we should be forcing the issue.

We dominated teams with the same tactics earlier in the season. Am I missing something?

Yeah you are the last 2 months

So did we, or did we not batter teams using the same formation?

We've scored like a third of our goals in the first quarter of the game this season too, so this starting slowly thing is bollocks too.

If you's are going to criticise at least be constructive...

We don't score our chances at present, for example, that's evident...

We might have started slowly today but it's not always the case, we've scored goals in the opening 10 / 15 minutes on several occasions this season.

Whilst we should be concerned lets not have a total meltdown.

We dominated teams with the same tactics earlier in the season. Am I missing something?

Do you not get it teams, have sussed the tactics and know how to counter them but we still continue to play the same tactics - not hard really.

We're statistically the most dominant team in the division, aren't we? Most shots on target a game, second most shots, lowest goals conceded (now second-lowest?) and most goals. We don't seem particularly negative. We always play very close to 4-4-2 when Perez is in the second forward role too.

Do you not get it teams have sussed the tactics and know how to counter them but we still continue to play the same tactics - not hard really.

Okay, so regardless of that fact do you not think the players have been underperforming too?

We do need a plan B, granted, but this mentality that our whole season will come crashing down is very far from the truth. We need to adjust, aye, but let's not get carried away man.

I get the impression that were we to win on Tuesday everyone would say 200% we'd win the league...if we don't we're 200% not going up...

Not much point in dominating teams if you don't take your chances. I think that's part of the reason why we don't throw too many players forward, we would just leave ourselves open to the counter attack if we didn't put those away.

Not much point in dominating teams if you don't take your chances. I think that's part of the reason why we don't throw too many players forward, we would just leave ourselves open to the counter attack if we didn't put those away.

Agreed, but my point is that we play a control game, and it works. It's the personnel that are the issue...