Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Think people are also overestimating how shit the bottom 6 of the PL are.

Within the context of that league they're shit, but pretty much everything in this division is still well below it imo. I think all of the bottom 6 would beat anyone in this division.

We need a whole new spine for me like. If we wanna stay comfortably in the PL.

Shelvey is okay with his new-found athleticism and is comfortably our most creative player, you'd need someone like a Kante in beside him though to make him really effective at the next level. We'd need a top class CB, and captain material at that, but I just think that might upset the apple-cart a bit and finally a Striker. I'd say a Goalkeeper but I think with a more solid CB that'd provide a bit more confidence to the likes of Darlow and actually I don't think it's a particularly weak area of our player, or certainly none more-so than other positions.

It should be;

Darlow

Yedlin

CB

Clark

LB

RM

Shelvey

DM

Ritchie

Target Man / #10

Gayle

A RM wouldn't worry me too much if it was say Atsu for example, or even Gouffran for the games where we're required to be more compact, but we really should be looking to better than both of those long term. Get a CB, CM and Striker though and we should have enough to compete, injuries pending.

Guest firetotheworks

I wouldnt fancy us against any of them in fairness.

We were better than Hull in the cup and they're what-third bottom?

New manager now though.

yeah but we still couldnt win the game.

Guest neesy111

yeah but we still couldnt win the game.

We created very little across the game in normal time, remember they were down to 10 men in extra time as well.

yeah but we still couldn't win the game.

Neither could they in normal time. Not that it matters that much like.

Our current side is as good as those in the bottom 3/4 though.

I think it's only really teams 5 or 6 places up where they genuinely have a bit better quality across the board than us.

Only consolation is that Huddersfield will also think they've dropped 2 points in a fixture they would have probably expected to win. The gap is still effectively 6 points with only 39 points to play for. Gifting goals needs to stop but I've been saying that since September and we're still top. Think we'll do it but losing confidence a bit as the same mistakes continue to be made, probably at a 7 right now. 

yeah but we still couldn't win the game.

We created very little across the game in normal time, remember they were down to 10 men in extra time as well.

It wasn't a particularly open game and we had 2 or 3 decent chances to score. We aren't as bad as everyone is making out we're just not comfortably PL standard.

When we went up last time we finished 12th in our first season back. With players like Harper, Williamson, Barton, Lovenkrands, Shola and Nile Ranger making plenty of appearances. People overestimate the importance of individuals and underestimate the importance of a good team, working together and moving in the same direction.

The worry for me isn't so much our players, but the fact we're not playing well. Get that right in the last third of the season and we'll not only go up, but be in a much better state for the Premier League.

:thup:

Think people are also overestimating how s*** the bottom 6 of the PL are.

Within the context of that league they're s***, but pretty much everything in this division is still well below it imo. I think all of the bottom 6 would beat anyone in this division.

Can't agree - no way are we significantly worse than Sunderland, Boro etc, even with the current squad.  Obviously we'd struggle and I hope we spend a hell of a lot in the summer, but I don't think you need to completely overhaul the squad to come 15-17th.

Within the context of that league they're s***, but pretty much everything in this division is still well below it imo. I think all of the bottom 6 would beat anyone in this division.

Can't agree - no way are we significantly worse than Sunderland, Boro etc, even with the current squad.  Obviously we'd struggle and I hope we spend a hell of a lot in the summer, but I don't think you need to completely overhaul the squad to come 15-17th.

:thup: again.

When people talk about requiring a squad overhaul; if they mean 'to finish in the top 8 of the PL', I'd probably agree. If they mean purely to survive, then no, we need a few significant upgrades in a minimum of three positions.

Investments in a striker, winger and centre-mid are all as essential as each other. I wouldn't be devastated if we went into the season with Yedlin/Lascelles/Clark/Dummett as the back four. I actually believe players can improve, especially with better players in front of them.

Guest firetotheworks

:thup: again.

When people talk about requiring a squad overhaul; if they mean 'to finish in the top 8 of the PL', I'd probably agree. If they mean purely to survive, then no, we need a few significant upgrades in a minimum of three positions.

Investments in a striker, winger and centre-mid are all as essential as each other. I wouldn't be devastated if we went into the season with Yedlin/Lascelles/Clark/Dummett as the back four. I actually believe players can improve, especially with better players in front of them.

Funnily enough, if we were to make the 4 changes that you speak of, my first choices would actually be the 'keeper, two of the back four, and a back up striker. I don't see what others seem to be seeing like, for me even to survive we'd need an overhaul.