DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

Yedlin is 2nd on the team in tackles per 90, like 4th in interceptions, and overall in defensive metrics is 2nd behind Lascelles. I also believe he is on the lowest wages out of all defenders (believe half of what Gamez is paid). Should also be on atleast a couple more assists if players had any ability to finish (a couple were outlined a few posts back and a Diame sitter). He is far from the problem with this side. If I was gonna outline positional upgrades, he would be far down the list. Now if a mid table side can be had (assuming safety of course) over the next year or so...then maybe pushing him down the depth chart makes sense. RIght now he is one of the best  values in the club.

What is the metric for tackles, I wonder?  Is it different to a 50/50 duel, for example?  As surely full backs are going to have to attempt loads of them? 

As for Yedlin himself, I like him.  Not technically amazing, positionally he can be a bit wayward and gets caught under the ball a lot, mainly from ball watching.  But I don't see him as a particularly big issue right now, compared to some much worse problems. 

The lack of viable options at left back, Clark reverting to type, no decent goalkeeper at the club, no pace in the attacking third, Ritchie's form, lack of goals etc etc.  These are all much bigger problems IMO.

What is the metric for tackles, I wonder?  Is it different to a 50/50 duel, for example?  As surely full backs are going to have to attempt loads of them? 

As for Yedlin himself, I like him.  Not technically amazing, positionally he can be a bit wayward and gets caught under the ball a lot, mainly from ball watching.  But I don't see him as a particularly big issue right now, compared to some much worse problems. 

The lack of viable options at left back, Clark reverting to type, no decent goalkeeper at the club, no pace in the attacking third, Ritchie's form, lack of goals etc etc.  These are all much bigger problems IMO.

I agree with all of that. On the final/attacking third point you made, I think we do physically speaking have pace up top, we just have no urgency mentally to make use of it. Everything is so ponderous. To be fair to Yedlin he's one of the only ones who injects a bit of urgency on the overlap, even though he cuts back too often having received the ball.

People need to understand the nature of a tackle. It's about taking the ball away with head, feet, inceptions, being in the place at the right time, whatever. It is stopping the ball being played by their own team mate reaching them full stop. There is a level of dealing with it but it is still tacking depending on heading ability, feet tackling skills, reading the game faster than the player it is being passed to, reading the game, being lucky etc. Yedlin ain't bad according to stats.

People need to understand the nature of a tackle. It's about taking the ball away with head, feet, inceptions, being in the place at the right time, whatever. It is stopping the ball being played by their own team mate reaching them full stop. There is a level of dealing with it but it is still tacking depending on heading ability, feet tackling skills, reading the game faster than the player it is being passed to, reading the game, being lucky etc. Yedlin ain't bad according to stats.

You sure that's the definition of a tackle on the stats you're reading?

You sure that's the definition of a tackle on the stats you're reading?

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_tackle

Naughton and Merino must be shite like and that stat is official

Yedlin is on the whole a decent fullback who is very useful at times on the counter and overlapping - his issues really are bombing forward when not needing to (Rafa is working on that it seems), his issue tracking late runners in the box (we've conceded a few because of this) and his end-product in the final 3rd. Think he can improve in every single one of those areas over time with Rafa's coaching though.

That's not the definition of a tackle as taken from stat based tools and websites. Most of the things you've stated would be classified as interceptions. A tackle is defined as below:

Tackles

A tackle is defined as where a player connects with the ball in ground challenge where he successfully takes the ball away from the man in possession. All tackles are really a successful event.

A Tackle Won is deemed to be where the tackler or one of his team-mates regains possession as a result of the challenge, or that the ball goes out of play and is "safe".

A Tackle Lost is where a tackle is made but the ball goes to an opposition player.

Missed Tackles

This is where a player attempts to challenge for the ball and does not make it – it is calculated by adding fouls with an attempted tackle qualifier to challenge lost.

• 3 weeks later...

There is literally nothing else other than pace in Yedlin's game. He isn't good enough at all.

I don't agree with at all tbh, thought he did alright against Zaha. Other then that one time he got caught.

Guest firetotheworks

Wasn't destroyed, but man, him being outmuscled when he had the ball was ridiculous considering the position he was in.