DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

That's what he's capable of when he doesn't just stop after getting into a good spot. For me he's like the Obertan equivalent of a full-back - has the pace but no idea how to use it. Defensively he's poor IMO, especially when dealing with higher balls. Good recovery, but needs to be better when dealing the initial threat.

We have major priorities but a better RB would be handy, would also push Manquillo further out the equation too.

I would definitely focus money elsewhere at this time. Probably go one more year cause I suspect as the attack improves and the team improves he will as well. I dont think the fact that his contributions statistically going forward have been against better sides because they are willing to commit guys forward and we can counter. Now if a huge influx of money were to come (please) and the attack gets squared away then Im all for upgrading. either way is fine. He would be a fine backup to have and I remember he did look good for Spurs against Atletico right before he transferred over at LB so he could conceivably backup both sides. Like I said though I dont think a RB upgrade should be a priority with limited funds..atleast not yet.

Was expecting him to get stick in here today again.

Going to praise him for the cross instead and comment on how the amount of running up and down he gets through without looking tired is immense.

:thup: Can't think of much to fault him with. Worked hard, good cross, some nice interceptions when pressing. Good game.

He was out of position for their goal.

I really like him though as due to Ritchie's lack of pace his energy really gives us so much, you just have to accept that he's a work in progress.

He gets up and down well and has been a solid if unspectacular performer for us this season. It's probably his first full, proper, PL season in a semi decent team, you've got to expect he'll improve next year and we should keep him in the side. If he doesn't progress then start worrying but for now he's not a priority with regards to replacements. Maybe a young, up and coming right back to keep him on his toes would be good, but we should spend the real money elsewhere.

He’s a good complement to Dummett, who’s stronger defensively but not much of a threat going forward. The opposition always has to account for Yedlin’s pace and it can really open things up for our attack.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty in depth piece on Yedlin from the US Federation page. Some quotes from Rafa in there.  Not even really playing the sport proper till the age of 16 it seems. Pretty crazy actually given the restraints the American system has (I know this well being from America), that he would even make it as far as he has. Also can tell that within his game (lacks technical ability) but also lends credence to what I have always thought of him, that he will be a late bloomer compared to the average youngster playing this sport but that it will also limit his ceiling as a player. So I guess when I see him play I dont see a normal 24 year old like a Manquillo who grew up with a great pedigree of teams and coaching and the like. Anyways, just thought I'd share for anyone who cares to read it in his spare time cause I know I always like to see the bio's of where guys come from...learn their story a little bit more.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/07/12/07/32/20180716-feat-mnt-rising-emerging-faces-deandre-yedlin-newcastle-united-usmnt

Pretty in depth piece on Yedlin from the US Federation page. Some quotes from Rafa in there.  Not even really playing the sport proper till the age of 16 it seems. Pretty crazy actually given the restraints the American system has (I know this well being from America), that he would even make it as far as he has. Also can tell that within his game (lacks technical ability) but also lends credence to what I have always thought of him, that he will be a late bloomer compared to the average youngster playing this sport but that it will also limit his ceiling as a player. So I guess when I see him play I dont see a normal 24 year old like a Manquillo who grew up with a great pedigree of teams and coaching and the like. Anyways, just thought I'd share for anyone who cares to read it in his spare time cause I know I always like to see the bio's of where guys come from...learn their story a little bit more.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/07/12/07/32/20180716-feat-mnt-rising-emerging-faces-deandre-yedlin-newcastle-united-usmnt

Cheers. :thup:

“A long time ago we were watching some games and we were watching the right fullback, who was really, really fast. Before he signed for Tottenham, we saw him and I was impressed. I called my assistant, and said, ‘look at this player, how quick.’ And since then we have been following him.” - Newcastle Manager Rafa Benitez on the first time he saw Yedlin play.

• 4 weeks later...