Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

I wonder what Chelsea will ask for him. I'd rate him at about £5-6m in today's market but I doubt we'd be able to get him for anything that cheap.

Isn't the fee already fixed if we agree to take the option? £7m wasn't it or something around there.

Hes the sort of player we've been missing in a few games this season, makes an impact just by running at a full back which we hardly see. Theres a great player in him especially in the Championship and did well to keep going for the full 90. First time shooting certainly isnt his strongest asset  :lol:

We've been in desperate need of his type of winger for much of the season. He's direct and that creates space for more players up front. At times Gayle has felt isolated as Diamé won't move enough and Ritchie/Gouffran are sitting too deep. Atsu takes aim at the opposition box almost every time he gets the ball. If we're not signing anyone like him we should make this permanent. He has qualities.

Hes the sort of player we've been missing in a few games this season, makes an impact just by running at a full back which we hardly see. Theres a great player in him especially in the Championship and did well to keep going for the full 90. First time shooting certainly isnt his strongest asset  :lol:

This - he was the reason we won last night because his pace and dominance of their LB destroyed their game plan and they started to worry about us....and him in particular.

His shooting is erratic but he is still quite young and would be an asset even in the PL - under Rafa he could become very dangerous to the opposition.

He's a slight upgrade on Kazenga Lualua, really frustrating but tries to make things happen. He's nowhere near the level we should be looking at if we go up.

Not easy to get the level of player you are talking about though, so if we can get him for a low fee, might be worth making it a permanent move. He's definitely better than any other option we've got of that type right now. Hopefully he'll get a lot more starts for the rest of the season so we can make a better call on him. He's young, with someone like Rafa to guide him he could develop into a genuine asset.

I wonder what Chelsea will ask for him. I'd rate him at about £5-6m in today's market but I doubt we'd be able to get him for anything that cheap.

Isn't the fee already fixed if we agree to take the option? £7m wasn't it or something around there.

Yeah I think I read we've got an option to make it permanent for £6mil. I think we'll take it up.

What Atsu does shouldn't be underestimated as he allows the whole team to play further away from our own goal. When he goes on a run they all have time to move forward, he brings so much more than the obvious part of his game that we see. With him and Ritchie we have genuine width and we open up more space in the middle.

that instant pass for diame's goal was truly genius - fooled their defence completely.

assist for the second was ok as well, i suppose.

I think you'll find the final deft pass was from Murphy who cleverly aimed for the angle on Diame's ankle bone that would produce the necessary trajectory to find the top corner

Don't really get the frustration, he tries to make stuff happen and frees up Ritchie a lot more.

Word. Especially considering we usually have Gouffran in that position running around like a headless chicken, incapable of doing anything but cutting in and playing some safe colbackesque pass that creates fuck all going forward.

Atsu is doing very well considering he's not had a long spell in the team. As I said earlier, he'd probably have 2-3 more assists if he wasnt relying on players like Mitro/Gouffran getting into the right positions during the last two games.

Think he got some undeserved stick for his attempt right before half time yesterday too. In some situations all you can ask is that they hit the ball hard, clean and on target. That was pretty much one of them and it was just unlucky that it went straight on their keeper.

We should definitely exercise our option to buy him as we always play some garbage on the wings, but I do hope we sign some quality winger and use Atsu as backup next season

People moan we aren't attacking enough, desperate for us to play two up front - we then start Atsu who is a very good attacking threat and people moan because not everything works out that he tries during a game and compares him to fucking LuaLua :lol: Some people even mention playing Gouffran rather than Atsu for "balance" ffs.

Jesus wept. Do people not realise that if you are an attacking player, who tries to make things happen, not everything will work out?

He's one of our better players and should be starting every week.

Don't really get the frustration, he tries to make stuff happen and frees up Ritchie a lot more.

Word. Especially considering we usually have Gouffran in that position running around like a headless chicken, incapable of doing anything but cutting in and playing some safe colbackesque pass that creates fuck all going forward.

Atsu is doing very well considering he's not had a long spell in the team. As I said earlier, he'd probably have 2-3 more assists if he wasnt relying on players like Mitro/Gouffran getting into the right positions during the last two games.

Think he got some undeserved stick for his attempt right before half time yesterday too. In some situations all you can ask is that they hit the ball hard, clean and on target. That was pretty much one of them and it was just unlucky that it went straight on their keeper.

We should definitely exercise our option to buy him as we always play some garbage on the wings, but I do hope we sign some quality winger and use Atsu as backup next season

I said that in the match thread. It's not easy to guide those first time shots into a corner, usually if you get it on target you've done well, very easy to skew those over or wide.

Guest gallows

Atsu has spent most of the season on the bench

Give Atsu five straight games (3 more to go) and he will prove beyond any reasonable doubt he's the best player in the championship :)

The downside is, Chelsea might not sell or inflate his price

Atsu has spent most of the season on the bench

Give Atsu five straight games (3 more to go) and he will prove beyond any reasonable doubt he's the best player in the championship :)

The downside is, Chelsea might not sell or inflate his price

What if in those next 3 games he has poor games? Ship him back to Chelsea?