Cup win or promotion?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting promoted this season with Rafa at the helm in the Prem is far more imperative than winning a cup this season. In so much as it would put us in a position to possibly win multiple cups in the near future rather than just one now and then waiting another 50+ years for the next. The long term viability of the club is always paramount over a random cup win.

It would put us in a position to win 'multiple cups in the near future' at all tbf. We'd be a newly promoted club, with a quality manager, still absolutely light years behind the big 6 teams in the country. Unless by near future you mean century. This is before factoring in that we are NUFC, and an unmitigated disaster is always around the corner.

Feel as if I'm arguing against promotion here :lol: I know we'll be promoted and it will be great.

The original debate is between Promotion or Cup Win, not both. We'd all love both. But in the short term, with a view towards the long term, promotion is more important this season than a cup win.

Fair enough. I've had a whole life of long term, happy to see what short term is like. All hypothetical, obviously.

If we're talking best possible realistic circumstances, lets say we're as good as spurs are in 5 years time. They've won 1 league cup in the last 10 years.

People talking about multiple cups in the future are being a bit optimistic, even with Rafa.

We've already won the Intertoto and that massive castle thing. Not a huge deal different to the League Cup nowadays.

Bag-of-shit 2nd division Newcastle team flukes league cup via not actually playing anyone of worth and then beating Arsenal's U18s on pens. Something to tell the grandkids.

If you can guarantee we knock out the first teams of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea again, Arsenal and Barcelona, then I'll consider changing my vote.

We've already won the Intertoto and that massive castle thing. Not a huge deal different to the League Cup nowadays.

Bag-of-shit 2nd division Newcastle team flukes league cup via not actually playing anyone of worth and then beating Arsenal's U18s on pens. Something to tell the grandkids.

If you can guarantee we knock out the first teams of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea again, Arsenal and Barcelona, then I'll consider changing my vote.

This implies you'll be telling the grandkids about being in the Premier League?

Bag-of-s*** 2nd division Newcastle team flukes league cup via not actually playing anyone of worth and then beating Arsenal's U18s on pens. Something to tell the grandkids.

We can have mundane league seasons anytime. The experience of 'fluking' a cup would be something you'd look back on and talk about forever.

Absolutely dumbfounded promotion is winning by a mile. Experiencing Newcastle win a cup would probably be one of, if not, the greatest day(s) of my life.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded that fans would be happy to accept crumbs from the table (that was a Keegan expression btw, for a team that dared to take a point from us in the old second division) when we are finally showing some belated signs of ambition. Winning a cup was a cop out for Ashley to aim low as possible and hope for the best.

Absolutely dumbfounded promotion is winning by a mile. Experiencing Newcastle win a cup would probably be one of, if not, the greatest day(s) of my life.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded that fans would be happy to accept crumbs from the table (that was a Keegan expression btw, for a team that dared to take a point from us in the old second division) when we are finally showing some belated signs of ambition. Winning a cup was a cop out for Ashley to aim low as possible and hope for the best.

A cop out for Ashley? He hasn't given a fuck about the cups in a decade.

Because I jacked my season ticket in under Pardew I'm going to say promotion. Simply because I am a selfish bastard who would be insanely jealous of those that were there.

This I agree with mind. I'd be begging on facey like a 'kipper brave enough to share racist shite for a final ticket like.

Not too mention we'd be in fucking EL if we won it. Deliciously unnecessary trips ahoy.

How is it so hard to understand that the long term benefits of being promoted are likely greater than winning a cup, and that's why people would prefer the former? :lol:

I'd love to win a cup, it's be a ridiculous day/weekend. I just know that it would achieve basically nothing in terms of pushing the club forwards, and remaining in this league for another season could potentially be devastating.

Had we been managed by Schteve still with no light at the end of the tunnel I'd have taken a cup win any day, but I really want to see what Rafa can do with us back in the Premiership and I fully believe he can win silverware under him.

Because I jacked my season ticket in under Pardew I'm going to say promotion. Simply because I am a selfish bastard who would be insanely jealous of those that were there.

This I agree with mind. I'd be begging on facey like a 'kipper brave enough to share racist shite for a final ticket like.

Not too mention we'd be in fucking EL if we won it. Deliciously unnecessary trips ahoy.

Is this the case, like? is there no real 'general sale' for an FA Cup Final for instance? Just ST holders?

Is this the case, like? is there no real 'general sale' for an FA Cup Final for instance? Just ST holders?

We've got more ST holders than there would be available tickets for a cup final.

A cop out for Ashley? He hasn't given a fuck about the cups in a decade.

Neither has anyone else in the last decade.

A cop out for Ashley? He hasn't given a f*** about the cups in a decade.

Neither has anyone else in the last decade.

Ask some of the fans of losing FA cup finalists if they cared. Absolute nonsense.

Because I jacked my season ticket in under Pardew I'm going to say promotion. Simply because I am a selfish b****** who would be insanely jealous of those that were there.

This I agree with mind. I'd be begging on facey like a 'kipper brave enough to share racist s**** for a final ticket like.

Not too mention we'd be in f***ing EL if we won it. Deliciously unnecessary trips ahoy.

We've got more ST holders than there would be available tickets for a cup final.

Finalists are usually allocated around 31,700 tickets at Wembley, we have around 34,000 ST holders this season.

The club would hold back around 500-1,000 of those tickets for players, sponsors, friends of friends etc.

It'd sell out even before members got a sniff, would be amazed if it ever went to general sale.

The question for me is what happens if NUFC fail to win promotion this season. Is there a player exodus? What are the financial ramifications? Can the crowds be sustained for a second or third season of second tier football? Unequivocally, the best chance to re-establish the club is to rise right away. It is not a pleasant thought to be following a financially crippled, hollow shell of a big club that has become a fixture in the second tier. Cup or no cup.